New 701 Builder

Tadge

Brendon,

If you ever need a a hand or just someone to chat too I am just down the road in Caboolture, I happy to come up and say hi and have a look at your new baby..

David

G'day Again,

Spent a few hours yesterday prepping the rudder skeleton. All parts were acid washed, Alodined and painted with Emron chromate.

David, If you're ever up this way send me a message, more than welcome to drop in for a coffee and squiz.

http://www.mykitlog.com/tadge/

Regards,

Brendon

G'day Again,Spent a few hours yesterday prepping the rudder skeleton. All parts were acid washed, Alodined and painted with Emron chromate.

David, If you're ever up this way send me a message, more than welcome to drop in for a coffee and squiz.

Regards,

Brendon

I like the kitlog website. I was wondering, do you intend to count all non-building time. For instance, watching Homebuilt Help videos, the major pre-construction stocktake, etc. Some builders in the USA even count the time they use to get down to a hardware store for a part.

G'day 80kt,

I'm only logging time that I spend working on the build, ie. Reading plans or actually doing something.

If I logged the time I have spent watching homebuilthelp DVDs, reading the manuals, research, going to the hardware etc. I would have already exceeded the recommended build time :)

Included in the time today was some prep work for the skins.

If everyone tried to log the time they were doing something constructive it would be a better gauge for expected build time.

Hope that made sense.

Brendon

G'day 80kt,I'm only logging time that I spend working on the build, ie. Reading plans or actually doing something.

If I logged the time I have spent watching homebuilthelp DVDs, reading the manuals, research, going to the hardware etc. I would have already exceeded the recommended build time :)

Included in the time today was some prep work for the skins.

If everyone tried to log the time they were doing something constructive it would be a better gauge for expected build time.

Hope that made sense.

Brendon

That makes perfect sense. In fact, when I get around to building my own aircraft, that is the method I will use to log time too. 020_yes.gif.58d361886eb042a872e78a875908e414.gif

G'day All,

I had grand plans of spending most of today finishing the rudder...

The skeleton was skinned with the rear skin, only issue I had was keeping the rib center lines lined up with the skin pilot holes, when one rib is in place then trying to get the next rib lined up it would shift a few mil, annoying but sorted with some tape in the end.

Drilling was completed to #40 initially.

Nose skin installed and was straight forward.

When flipping the rudder to play with the nose skin fit, I bumped one of the clecos against the jig beams and it put a stress mark on the skin... Not happy.

I have stopped work on it for today and hope to get some info from the sheet metal guy at work. Although only a small mark the skin is .016 and it will inevitably crack if not dealt with. (Pics on Kitlog).

Brendon

The damage doesn't look too sharp - it appears to have a decent radius; I doubt it will crack. I'd be tempted to put bucking bar behind it and give it a tap with a plastic hammer to flatten it out. Laurie

Good Day again,

I have finished the rudder assembly. The rest of the work went smoothly. I have never been a master of the sheet metal snips, however I managed a nice finish.

Laurie, I took your advice and used a bucking bar with a hide hammer and gently tapped out the crease, I can see it, but others can barely notice it now.

Off flying again tomorrow, so will get a start on the horizontal stab on my return late this month.

Regards,

Brendon

• Like 1