Jabiru 2200 no spark unless take out a spark plug out of each cylnder for less compression

jamesaj183

When testing the spark plugs with a spark plug tester I cant get the engine to spin fast enough to create a spark unless I take 1 spark plug out of each cylinder. Brand new starter and battery. Gap is set correctly to magnetos, new spark plugs ,new mags. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. New starter also

Overhaul manual:- http://www.jabiru.net.au/Manuals/Engine/JEM0001-4_Overhaul_Manual.pdf

7.5.1 Ignition Coils

Ignition coils are fitted with insulating washers between the coil and the mounting post. These are essential as they greatly reduce the operating temperature of the coil, improving its longevity.

 Ignition coils must be fitted with the output lead pointing in the direction of propeller rotation. Coils installed backwards may fire with the wrong timing or not work at all.

When testing the spark plugs with a spark plug tester I cant get the engine to spin fast enough to create a spark unless I take 1 spark plug out of each cylinder. Brand new starter and battery. Gap is set correctly to magnetos, new spark plugs ,new mags. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. New starter also

Jabiru sell a very good cold start kit. Inexpensive, easy to fit and it fires one set of plugs at very low revs while the starter is operating.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

Jabiru sell a very good cold start kit. Inexpensive, easy to fit and it fires one set of plugs at very low revs while the starter is operating.

It works brilliantly, even with an early type starter which is much less powerful. Laurie

• Like 1

Guest Andys@coffs

James

Jabiru barrels are steel and very subject to corrosion. If you read the engine manuals they need to be oil inhibited if expected to be unused even for a relatively short time.

Do you know if the engine was inhibited for the few years and if so was it turned over by hand every week or so as the manual calls for?

Check leak downs carefully if not sure before venturing upward.

Andy