Avgas Stain at Wing Root

Roscoe

Hi again folks. I noticed some Blue Avgas stains around the area where the chain from the drain plug meets the Wing Root on LH Wing today.

Noticed on first flight after Refuelling to full when putting Aircraft away.

Was careful not to spill fuel and only on LH side.

Have advised Jabiru as Aircraft is new and they always respond quickly but thought I would ask if anyone else has noticed this.

Appreciate your help guys.

Cheers Roscoe

if you refill too full the excess can drain down the ear of the wing to the root, drains in behind flap so cant br seen until reaches cabin

maybe fuel expanding with heat or maybe like mine the aircraft leans to one side in the hanger, fuel can cross feed from one side to the other too.

Always could be a leak of some sort

Guest Andys@coffs

Yep, on my J230 if I fill too full it leaks out and on occasion I even have had folk on the ground radio me that there is fuel leaking in flight on T/O........If I put 1L less in each side I have no issue

Andy

Guest Andys@coffs

Not sure exactly where it leaks from but it does find its way down to the wing root, it doesn't necessarily seem to flow out onto the top of the wing....Never went looking in huge detail, just know that if the fuel is up over the holes in the metal circle that the filler fits into it will leak..

With the blue die you can generally find where it has been, but not always

Andy

I've repaired jabiru wings that leak fuel when filled to the brim , it's usually the fuel cap carriage hasn't been flocked into the tank properly when built .

easy to fix by wiping some resin & flock up & under with your finger .

and I'm pretty sure the high density foam in the jabiru wet wings isn't effected by petrol .

not like the old poly styrene wings

cheers mike

I've repaired jabiru wings that leak fuel when filled to the brim , it's usually the fuel cap carriage hasn't been flocked into the tank properly when built .easy to fix by wiping some resin & flock up & under with your finger .

and I'm pretty sure the high density foam in the jabiru wet wings isn't effected by petrol .

not like the old poly styrene wings

cheers mike

Mike thanks, never heard the word flock before, can u elaborate pls

In mine the excess fuel leaks out fill cap, runs backwards to top of flap cavity, then down to fuse, sometimes see some on flap itself.

O rings in filler caps (theres 2x in there) need regular replacement

Just fill a bit less

Every so often the blue stain wont rub off easily, but it fades pretty quickly

In mine the excess fuel leaks out fill cap, runs backwards to top of flap cavity, then down to fuse, sometimes see some on flap itself.O rings in filler caps (theres 2x in there) need regular replacement

Just fill a bit less

Every so often the blue stain wont rub off easily, but it fades pretty quickly

Yep thanks again. Will put less fuel in next time and see hw it goes.

Cheers for now

Yea, can be hard to find, best way....truck spares/ accessories place. ( lot of drivers swear by it )

Maybe........super cheap...autobarn.

If not......I have a spare bottle, I will sell it to you. ( $16 + post )

Russ can this be bought in Aust?, I see on their website it's a US product.Thanks

listen guys , waxing fibre glass isn't a good idea , the wax and such will over time work it's way through any pinhole or slight crack in the paint and the paint itself and "can"make any future repair or repaint difficult to near impossible .

I know you can use wax & grease remover , but that won't remove the potential build up in and below the gelcoat

mike