Mechanical fuel pump

deadstick

Had an issue last week with the mechanical fuel pump on my J230-D, had a fuel fume smell in the cockpit on the last flight, next morning I went to pull the cowls but as I approached the A/C I noticed the tarmac had been eaten away near the nose wheel.

So I pulled the cowls and found the fuel pump was leaking between the diaphragms and that the retaining screws were loose.

Interestingly the screws have no form of locking! they have now ( LT 620) as I think an inflight fire would have been inevitable if I was on a longer flight the day before.

Engine and pump have done a total of 35.4 hours.

Anyway just sharing for info as its definitely something to check. (Defect report submitted)

1155109874_Mechpump.JPG.56fd5b676c0cbd9d53dc4470461a944e.JPG

41732450_Mechpump2.JPG.232dc22fd248b42aa16e21f1847a4a6f.JPG

• Informative 2

Had an issue last week with the mechanical fuel pump on my J230-D, had a fuel fume smell in the cockpit on the last flight, next morning I went to pull the cowls but as I approached the A/C I noticed the tarmac had been eaten away near the nose wheel.So I pulled the cowls and found the fuel pump was leaking between the diaphragms and that the retaining screws were loose.

Interestingly the screws have no form of locking! they have now ( LT 620) as I think an inflight fire would have been inevitable if I was on a longer flight the day before.

Engine and pump have done a total of 35.4 hours.

Anyway just sharing for info as its definitely something to check. (Defect report submitted)

Always pays to isolate the fuel to the engine when finished flying , although it did bring a serious defect to your attention .

Bob

Hi Bob, I know what your saying but I have this fear of missing the fuel **** on pre take off vitals! Just one less routine change and hole in the cheese.

Something like this will help to allay that fear . It reads ... " Fuel cxcks ( 3 off ) - OPEN "

Bob

image.jpg.8944c99b813954fd80fb73995932fee4.jpg

• Informative 1

Something like this will help to allay that fear . It reads ... " Fuel cxcks ( 3 off ) - OPEN " 

Bob

[ATTACH=full]31808[/ATTACH]

Bob, Bob, Bob........didn't your mother tell you to undo your shoe laces before you take them off 054_no_no_no.gif.950345b863e0f6a5a1b13784a465a8c4.gif

• Haha 2

Hmmm, I have been leaving the fuel cock on in my jabs since day one, in fact every school I know that has one does so. I know what your saying bob and I always use a checklist for the PTVA's but my routine is what it is and it has to date served me well including showing this defect. I have no reason to change my practice of leaving it on however other aircraft that I have flown it is part of the post shutdown checklist to turn the fuel cock off but it isn't in this type. Thanks for the pointer alete same.

• Agree 1

Bob, Bob, Bob........didn't your mother tell you to undo your shoe laces before you take them off 054_no_no_no.gif.950345b863e0f6a5a1b13784a465a8c4.gif

Having a quite day Bill ? Must admit it wasn't a really good look , but my wife does insist that I store them away neatly , which of course includes the laces being tied . Anyway , here's the other side showing a reasonable ground speed also, which I'm sure you will rightly agree is due to good flight planning . Bob

image.jpg.90838e2e12113b42d31e0187301b5082.jpg

Before shutting down engine last time of day I always shut off fuel valve and let carby run out shutting down engine. Keeps all fwf lines and carby bowl dry but also ensures I have to turn on valve and check elect pump to start engine next time. Checks my fuel valve, flow meter and fuel pressure before starting.

• Agree 1

I had the same issue with the fuel seepage on the mechanical pump on 3300 jab engine

Nothing that a good shakedown check wouldn't find .

Its good practice to have nuts & bolts , screws checked after the first few flights flights and so on ,for ever more ........

Mike