Aero clubs running the airport

Our club is interested in advice from anyone with experience in managing runway inspections, grass cutting etc. of their local airport. We are getting variable advice re the training required and the insurance cover we'd need to carry if we take on the responsibility.

Please feel free to PM me if need be.

Is

Our club is interested in advice from anyone with experience in managing runway inspections, grass cutting etc. of their local airport. We are getting variable advice re the training required and the insurance cover we'd need to carry if we take on the responsibility.Please feel free to PM me if need be.

Is the airport registered it certified? Makes a difference re CASA aerodrome requirements.

I was ARO for Argyle aerodrome in the Kimberley for 6 years.

Mike

Old K, Dennis Hunt has effectively been managing Warnervale for many years. The local council is looking to take control and have been using Dennis as a consultant. Not the easiest person in the world but certainly has the experience you are looking for. I'll send you his contact details by email. Don

• Informative 1

IsIs the airport registered it certified? Makes a difference re CASA aerodrome requirements.

I was ARO for Argyle aerodrome in the Kimberley for 6 years.

Mike

It's Registered, Mike. (Sorry, I sent a reply last week but doesn't appear.)

I think Forbes Flying Club have been running (or at least taking a fair bit of the burden off Council ) their local aerodrome for many years.

Just spoke to them; sounds like the club did a lot of the work to set it up, but council runs it these days.

OK

CASA has a number of CAAPs and publications that may be of interest to you.

http://www.casa.gov.au/scripts/nc.dll?WCMS:STANDARD::pc=PC_91054

scroll down to the "Aerodromes" part of the list.

As far as insurance goes I suggest you contact a reputable broker of aviation insurance but as a minimum I would think you should have Public Liability and Worker's Compensation (even if the work is done by volunteers) plus cover for any equipment you may have.

DWF

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

Royal Newcastle Aero Club possibly the most successful around, own their airport and growing in leaps and bounds. Have a talk with these guys.

http://www.rnac.com.au/

I used to manage the air side of Whitsunday Airport at Shute Harbor it claimed to be the countries busiest private airport with around 100 movements a day fixed and rotary wing.

This was before it was sealed so it was pretty full on keeping it in good condition especially in the wet. Add avgas and Jet A fuel farms, visiting aircraft, 6 operating tenants it gets a real handful. CASA had a airport groundsman course and the fuel supplier had their requirements as well as CASA op regs then council gets involved. Now days you will have security to deal with.

Ozzie