Static caused by GPS when powered by cigarette lighter

Airborne Edge X Trike 582

I changed the small plug socket to a normal car sized one that fits the Garmin 196 GPS charger.

Problem is - causes a lot of static - unusable

Works fine with batteries in GPS

Any ideas?

Airborne Edge X Trike 582 I changed the small plug socket to a normal car sized one that fits the Garmin 196 GPS charger. Problem is - causes a lot of static - unusable Works fine with batteries in GPS Any ideas?

Guest asmol

The charger is a switch mode power supply, there are good ones and their are bad ones, guess which one you have?

Go to Jaycar and get one of those thingos that you wrap the leads around, or clamp around the leads. They help to keep 'hash' from radiating from the leads. Fixed the problem I had with my dash cam. If it does not fix the problem, you have got yourself a paperweight.

• Like 1

If the ferrite clamp doesn't fix the interferance when you put it on the charger cable, try it on the battery side. That is, behind the panel socket. Sometimes the noise is being radiated from the battery feed wiring.

• Like 1

The charger is a switch mode power supply, there are good ones and their are bad ones, guess which one you have?

Not sure I fully get what your saying - but I'll get another one and swap it to see what happens

When you say it generates a lot of static how do you know? Can you hear it on a radio? Try the GPS and power supply in a car. Does the GPS work ok in the car, if so there's no problem with the GPS or power unit. If your trike is generating that much electrical noise I'm surprised you can get any radio reception. I'd be looking at the actual socket on your aircraft. I wonder, as someone suggested, if you do in fact have a bad connection to the positive centre pin and it is arcing, which would account for the 'static' noise. If you find the cause make sure you post it so everyone can say ' I knew that's what it would be......'

Paul

I would assume if there was a dicky connection to the power supply connector, the whole radio would be on and off rather than just experiencing 'static'. As mentioned previously, switch-mode power supplies can generate a lot of 'hash' (not static, there's a difference). Connect it all up then wrap the GPS and leads in aluminium foil, being careful not to burn the block down. Just another idea that may help...

I would assume if there was a dicky connection to the power supply connector, the whole radio would be on and off rather than just experiencing 'static'. As mentioned previously, switch-mode power supplies can generate a lot of 'hash' (not static, there's a difference). Connect it all up then wrap the GPS and leads in aluminium foil, being careful not to burn the block down. Just another idea that may help...

It is more like hash than static

I'll try it

When you say it generates a lot of static how do you know? Can you hear it on a radio? Try the GPS and power supply in a car. Does the GPS work ok in the car, if so there's no problem with the GPS or power unit. If your trike is generating that much electrical noise I'm surprised you can get any radio reception. I'd be looking at the actual socket on your aircraft. I wonder, as someone suggested, if you do in fact have a bad connection to the positive centre pin and it is arcing, which would account for the 'static' noise. If you find the cause make sure you post it so everyone can say ' I knew that's what it would be......'Paul

Gps works perfect in car and with batteries

I'll check centre pin

Yes, ill post once I solve this

Avocet, I tested one of those USB socket outlets in my panel, found it caused a lot of hash breakover on the radio whenever it was charging devices.

Made the thing unusable if I wanted to maintain a listening watch.

Haven't bothered tinkering with ferrites and such as yet

Ive had one flight with it fitted and only 2 radio calls , .Didnt notice anything unusual , "yet".

Ive fitted one to run the blue tooth EQ1 for the i phone , and one to run the go pro like camera .

Mike

image.jpg.004dd14823540461b851ce1f205e5e01.jpg

• 1 month later...
If the ferrite clamp doesn't fix the interferance when you put it on the charger cable, try it on the battery side. That is, behind the panel socket. Sometimes the noise is being radiated from the battery feed wiring.

happy to report the ferrite clamps did the job beautifully - absolutely no more hash

Ive had one flight with it fitted and only 2 radio calls , .Didnt notice anything unusual , "yet".Ive fitted one to run the blue tooth EQ1 for the i phone , and one to run the go pro like camera .

Mike

image.jpg.94ffc9fe575356ed500e0853aaaab79b.jpg