Easter Fly-in at Starke Field NQld......images

Guest Maj Millard

Guest Maj Millard
Nice turnout with a few different aircraft types. Boy, does that yellow float plane nose wheel look 'delicate' !Wayne

Yes but it's doing well in service so far.....

Yes but it's doing well in service so far.....

What sort of floats are they ? Do they cause any cruise or max speed reduction ? Are they fibreglass ?

Is the float kit made for the Zenair, plane looks like a Hornet ?

Thanks Maj, I'm impressed and would like such a machine, don't know how long it would survive in a salt water environment, do the seaplanes you work on suffer excessive corrosion ?

Just looking at Puddlejumper website , http://www.puddlejumper.com/eindex.html. would they be the 15ft floats possible suited to land Africa as they are similar ?

I have watched the USA Jabiru YouTube video of a 230 or 250 on Meade floats, what would you think of a 230 on Puddlejumper floats ?

Guest Maj Millard

Camel, yes Puddlejumpers have been around as long as I can remember. They have minimised exposure to salt water on their floats, however anytime you put any aircraft near salt water you'd better be prepared to give it a good hose off later, and apply a protective grease to all exposed hardware on a regular basis . Still well worth all that work though !....there are obviously Jabs on floats in the US...but I don't know much more about them. I feel Ian's on the 701 are the 15ft models.....they appear to be well developed and certainly up to the job.

My cousin is getting married in hideaway bay in September, I've GOT (as if it is a chore) to spend a week there hoping to get some fishing in and maybe ducking up to Townsville to see the rest of the rellies after that, I'll keep an eye out for you Ian. After all we can't let you have that much fun on your own now can we:no way: