Fatal parachute fall from 20m

These Met events effect all aviators, just some are more sensitive to them than others. I'm lucky to have been able to pick up on many of the clues due to participating in several aviation disciplines over 40 odd years. But can still get caught out. A year or so before i stopped jumping I landed 'behind' a shed in the wind shadow and got a nice face plant for my troubles so just laid there for a bit and thought that i really did deserve it. Hate being amusement value to the young guns.

I have been spanked a few times over the years due to thermal generated turbulence. Corowa at the Christmas National Boogie was a cow of a place, ground was made out of concrete and a bit of wind to chop it up. A few serious injuries over the years, one that sticks is from the seventies, was a girl that landed under a round canopy and did not bundle it up straight away and talking to a friend had her canopy picked up and yanked her off the ground, over a fence then slammed onto the ground. Busted pelvis and shoulder. Another flew low over the taxi way and had their canopy shut down dropping them onto the ground. He is still in a wheel chair, (owned that German marked Storch). Have even seen tents ripped out of the ground and contents spread around the country side. Destroyed C182s, Nomads and Otters picked up and danced with. Inland in summer can be a deadly place.

Had just landed and watched Graham's canopy collapse at about 30 ft, not pretty.

Summer thermals inland really need understanding.