PaulN's NZ trip report.

slartibartfast

Guest Fred Bear

Sneaky indeed. Have fun mate and stay safe! Lots of pics and stories for you to share when you come back (or while you are there).:)

Thanks team.

I had a nice surprise this morning. Took a call from Biggles1 (forum member) telling me he was heading out of CN tomorrow on VB for BN at 0620. "That's odd" I said, "we have the same flight plan", so now we have good company en route to Brissy. What a coincidence keen.gif.9802fd8e381488e125cd8e26767cabb8.gif.

I'd like to stay and chat but off to bed now ... 0345 departure tomorrow :;)6:.

Paul

OK. Here’s an opener for our NZ South Island trip report. There’s way too much to share just yet … we’re in sight seeing overload right now and getting sore from rubber-necking all day every day since arriving Nov 06 and each night finds us just wanting to crash with no energy left for even writing postcards. But for my forum mates I’ll leave you with this little beauty.

This is a pic taken late downwind for rwy 29 Milford Sound. What an awesome experience … I have never before and probably never will again land at a place like this. Picture it. Entering the Sound from the east coast at 3000’ and still with high ground rising above you either side. Then as the sound narrows you drop to 1500’ while banking right to follow the Sound and just as you get the first glimpse of the strip. At this point it’s difficult knowing just where to look, at the passing aircraft on departure, the huge waterfall dropping from above you on your left, the sheer rock wall just off your right wing tip or the strip just ahead. Talk about pilot overload. Then down to 1000 as we pass the strip still with a rock wall just off the right wing, fly into a narrow gorge while dropping to 500 banking left and losing sight of the strip behind yet another rock wall and continue the base turn for almost 270 degrees. Hold in there for a moment until sighting the strip off to the right, now quickly bank right to line up, power off then down onto the threshold, brake the 172 quickly to exit the runway to make room the Islander coming behind you. Now start breathing again. Man, what an experience. Later I’ll have to tell you about the “elevatorÀ on departure … sheer madness.

Paul

235756356_MilfordSound.jpg.10cc5b9c3bd5d75c21e8b8252f6cdb07.jpg