Where Can I Land In Melbourne???

Guest Bendorn

Guest Bendorn

Greetings all.... Landing in Melbourne?

I know of Riddells Creek, Wallan and Lillydale. Can anyone else get me closer to Melbourne than that for a Jab?

Ben

Hi Ben

The biggest problem with Melb is the Tullamarine air space all around it - what part of Melb did you want to get to as there is Ballarat a bit further out but ok for outer Western suburbs so to is Bacchus Marsh, there is Geelong as well but Essendon charge like wounded bulls and you have to have a PPL but that gets you into the mid Northern suburbs. Around the bay there is also Tooradin and Tyabb and for mid Southern suburbs there is Moorabbin but I am unsure about what is required to get a Jab into there - BrentC should be able to also advise.

Hope this helps and if there is anything you need done down here then just let me know.

For MBN you need a PPL, but no trouble in a RAAus registered aircraft if you have the PPL.

there is also Point Cook a military field where you can get permission to land with a RAAus certificate to visit the Museum but not for other reasons, and not for overnight stays.

Davidh

Guest Bendorn

Point Cook would be awesome. I wonder if I can visit the Museum every few months.....

I have family in Port Melbourne and in Templestowe that I want to visit. Lillydale will suit the Templestowe lot, just the ones in Port Melb..... I have to get my son from there and I'm sick of the 9.5 turn around drive to get him.

Hi Ben,

Give Point Cook a go, they've got new management in place and are much more "fly-in" friendly than they used to be. We get some special treatment having an ex-Air Force aircraft but they seem to be more pleasant to deal with than the previous management. Will need to get in contact with the airfield manager (number in ERSA) and explain your situation. You'll need to fill out a request form and provide proof of insurance coverage...public liability of course!

In the recent months the field was listed as a National Heritage site and Defence are now retaining the site for operational capability and will be ramping up operations there in the next few years...they're also going to be investing a lot of money to improve the infrastructure there to the tune of $180 million over 7 years. The main runway has been closed this past week due to strengthening and lighting work amongst other things. It's great to see this gem of an airfield getting the attention and funding it deserves - it's only 5 years until it celebrates its centenary (2013), 100 years of continuous operation - it will the first airfield in the world to reach this mark!

Cheers,

Matt.

No matter where you fly into Melbourne, watch out for the airspace north of the City. If you are zooming in at high speed the steps can catch up with you very quickly, plus there's Pukapunyal Army Base restricted area to fly around, that always catches a few out. Also, the area around Riddells and Sunbury are very close to the very low control control steps and things can get a bit hairy when the weather is a little bumpy.

Riddells Creek is 1150 feet AMSL and the step overlying it is 2500 feet AMSL.M

I concede my VTC is anything but current however it shows land at 1223ft under a control step of 1500 within 3 miles of Riddells and 1400ft towers not much further away.

It has always been my belief that when Miranda vanished from the Hanging Rock picnic she was swallowed by a GE turbine on low final.

Davidh

I am currently based at Riddells and all is ok except for the mountains to the North West of Riddells which you would go around if you wanted to go that way.

Guest pelorus32
I concede my VTC is anything but current however it shows land at 1223ft under a control step of 1500 within 3 miles of Riddells and 1400ft towers not much further away. It has always been my belief that when Miranda vanished from the Hanging Rock picnic she was swallowed by a GE turbine on low final.

Davidh

Hi David,

there certainly is higher ground around. The airstrip itself I think is at 1150 feet.

As for the other: I wonder did the crew report a bird strike or a fruit bat strike?keen.gif.9802fd8e381488e125cd8e26767cabb8.gif

Regards

Mike