The latest update on the Master

Admin

Here is the latest update on the Millennium Master - the cruise speed has been downgraded by 4 knots 051_crying.gif.fe5d15edcc60afab3cc76b2638e7acf3.gif which I believe but not confirmed was due to a certification reason in Italy but I will prefer to wait and get one here first with everything I want like the right prop etc before I quote any definite and actual figures.

The Millennium Master

- Welcome to the future and the ultimate flying experience

• Construction: All Carbon Fibre

• Engine: Rotax 912ULS

• Horsepower: 100 hp

• Fuel Type: Premium Unleaded

• Fuel Use: 17 lit/ph (at cruise)

• Fuel Tank Size: 65 lit

• Endurance: 3.5 hours / 900 km

• Stall speed: 35 knots

• Max speed: 190 knots

• Cruise speed (75%): 166 knots

• Takeoff & landing dist: 150 m

• Wing Span: 8.10 m

• Length: 7.10 m

• Max weight: to be confirmed for Aus

• Empty weight: 285 kg

• Wing area: 9.96 m2

The MASTER comes as a fast Build Kit with minimum required assembly:

The kit composes of a totally built and glued aircraft but with the mechanical parts to be assembled: ailerons, controls, cloche, landing gear, engine mounting, hinges, canopy, etc. The kit contains all these parts except for engine, propeller, parachute, instrumentations, and electric system.

The kit has a Ballistic Parachute option however the belts, doors, etc. are already fabricated into the aircraft but the parachute itself as well as factory painting is optional.

Professional, state of the art computation and modelling tools were intensively used in designing the MASTER with initial aerodynamic characteristics being identified through wind tunnel testing of a 1:10 scale model. The structure was designed and computed by the Aerostructure Department of Turin Polytechnic University Italy. Extensive use was made of Finite Element Modelling (FEM) and NASTRAN techniques. The structure was designed to comply with FAR 23 (CS23 in Europe) requirements.

At the moment the aircraft is considered in the European Utility category.

The aircraft has been designed with a "SAFETY FIRST" concept using high strength, composite material, 4-spar cockpit structure that provides a very resistant protective box around both pilots. An optional internal BALLISTIC CHUTE provides extra safety for the occupants in case of an emergency situation. Fuel tanks utilize Formula 1 foam technology which provides good anti blast protection and with both tanks located in the wings, away from the cockpit. Optimum design layout requires no individual fuel selector thus providing an inherent and effective protection against engine fuel starvation or mishandling.

The Millennium Master – welcome to the future!

Guest Flyer40

Impressive numbers Ian. Will there be scope to increase the fuel capacity? Although this aircraft will get places very quickly I'd still like to see 4 hours plus reserve.

Do you have any pics of the fixed gear version?

The fuel capacity is something that I discussed with them when I was over in Italy and yes, there is scope to increase the fuel tank size but I need to start working on the certification process which will define the MTOW for here which will then define what "luxuries" we can have such as increased fuel capacity etc.

At Natfly where the Master received a lot of focus I was informed by someone that was from CASA that I may be able to get a special dispensation for the retracts in LSA. This is something that I am also going to explore further as he gave me his card and said to contact him for help.

I am tossing up whether to go over to Italy again to talk further and build my own one over there with them so I can be intimate with every piece and lever off any information from Curzio while I am there putting it together - besides Curzio and Luisa are very nice people so it would be a great experience. Just have to work it all out and when?

Ian, in my opinion I would encourage you go to Italy and build your own. You would not only familiarize yourself with the aircraft further, but also build a wealth of knowledge which could be utilized by others contemplating their options about purchasing and building their own Master.

If I wasn't building a Lightning (slowly) and had the extra resources, I would be giving serious consideration to a Master.

I am talking to them about the fuel capacity and I am hoping that we can get the capacity upgraded here for Australia.

I have been advised that the first Master is in the jig now - exciting times coming up

Within the next 2 weeks I should receive the Production Plan for the Master. This will enable me to book a flight over to Italy to get my one together ready to bring back here to show you all and start taking any orders for your own one.

I very much want you to see one in the flesh, go for a test flight etc to make sure you are happy with this incredible aircraft that will reset our thoughts on flying recreational aircraft - now the sleepless nights in anticipation begin again 006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif

Guest airsick

This is very exciting stuff. I am still wondering though Ian, what sort of brakes are they? Differential toe brakes or something different?

Stupid me - I can't remember :confused:

I have sent an email off and will let you know soon but something rings a bell about right hand levers for both throttle and brakes but I could be 100% wrong

Guest airsick

That's what I thought, I recall you saying once before that was the case but wasn't certain. I prefer toe brakes. 051_crying.gif.fe5d15edcc60afab3cc76b2638e7acf3.gif But not a show stopper. Still very very interested in seeing one for real.

On another note this picture shows what appears to be a throttle lever on the left and the stick is clearly designed for the right hand.

1536939088_mastercockpit.JPG.37011f0f8340df1e6cfffa895528f508.JPG

One of the changes we wanted as a result of everyone's input was the right side for throttle however we are going for the option of having either to suit what you would like. Ex Jab drivers may like right hand stick/left hand throttle whilst others may prefer left hand stick/right hand throttle

Actually, I have been wondering whether I can get a dynon either side of an Avmap GPS in the panel and your picture tends to suggest I can - will have to get the pictures off my laptop from my trip there last year to have a look for sure - thanks!

It's starting to come back to me now - we couldn't have toe brakes as it was very complex due to the fact that the seat is an integral part of the structure and doesn't move so the pedals are adjustable to suit your height. Adding toe brakes to adjustable pedals I think would be a nightmare as they would also have to be adjustable

Guest airsick

As I said, not a show stopper. Can I book first ride now? :)

You note above that the kit doesn't include engine, electrics, propeller... Does this mean the indicative pricing you gave somewhere else was excluding these items or was that a finished price? And is there anything more firm on pricing yet?

The price I was referring to is indicative of the completed aircraft but offcourse that depends on what panel you are going to have - standard steam gauges or say a new $10,000 tablet PC panel that I will soon have that has every single thing including GPS in a 10inch screen - includes a pen for using the screen between functions, writing notes from ATC etc - will have to dig up a picture of it from my Laptop

It's starting to come back to me now - we couldn't have toe brakes as it was very complex due to the fact that the seat is an integral part of the structure and doesn't move so the pedals are adjustable to suit your height. Adding toe brakes to adjustable pedals I think would be a nightmare as they would also have to be adjustable

hydraulic lines should move OK

Davidh

That's a point David - it would mean extra weight and complexity as a simple lever set up is easy and simple. Perhaps I talk to the Master people and see if that can be an option down the track, perhaps the Master mk2. Gives you a reason to sell your first one to get a another one in a couple of years 006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif.

When I was over in France I also looked at the MCR. That aircraft has a lot including toe brakes but i was turned off from them as they were very complicated, more things to go wrong when you least need them to, higher maintenance costs and darn HUGE purchase price as well and even then they don't perform as good as or look as good as the Master - just in my opinion

If I were going to buy and configure - my preferred cockpit / panel layout would be central stick, left hand throttle, central Dynon PFD, Dynon EFIS on left and <insert favourite GPS> on right with redundant steam gauges in appropriate positions (i.e. altimeter etc. under PFD, tacho under EFIS etc.)...then it would almost look like a PC9 cockpit...still needs a 4 blade prop to complete the look though ;)

Cheers,

Matt

Here are some more pictures of the Prototype 2 that I found on my laptop - mind you I have over 250 of them

1571726705_Europe084.jpg.8fc14f5b89c9f3f3bc40df468a17cea5.jpg

447246024_Europe096.jpg.3e751b4a6d1aa4154e846bdaf97168e7.jpg

1417807930_Europe099.jpg.231e9d4b71ce25c791ef03ec272c6fb5.jpg

1882939138_Europe162.jpg.1fa87b13ca8cd860d1df9fa10fa11afd.jpg

424987158_Europe168.jpg.c6358a2c54885e1b62309f4f1894ef0e.jpg

The Lightning likewise has an unmoveable seat. It has pedals that can be moved a great distance. It has toe brakes that also move a great distance. It can certainly be done simply.

Toe brakes WILL be one of the things that I will be talking about when I get over there again as I mentioned - I just don't want to hold things up by asking for more and then it takes time to develop etc. I presume that there can never be an aircraft that has everything that everyone wants unfortunately but the important thing is that we all have such a huge choice of aircraft in types, performance, design etc in the recreational category which is why flying recreational aircraft is so good.

Guest airsick

Apologies if I have opened a can of worms Ian. My intention was to find out what was fitted rather than try to redesign the thing. 087_sorry.gif.8f9ce404ad3aa941b2729edb25b7c714.gif

By the way, the photo's look good. I really like the side on silhouette.

No Mate - no can of worms - Toe Brakes are something I would like also - my Gazelle has them and my CT didn't. But these are all things that I think we will achieve over a period of time as we learn more about the aircraft which is why I can't wait to get my hands on one to start with but please, keep the ideas coming as it all helps