Fuel hose

rhtrudder

50 minutes ago, rhtrudder said:

Fuel hose replacement due on my 914, any clues on which is the best 

I have always purchased Gates products, now available through Repco.

I have also chosen to over-specify and use fuel injection rated hose, as it has a slight temperature advantage and is less permeable, than the low pressure hose (which is still suitable & within specifications). The FI hose is a little more expensive, than the low pressure but in the scheme of things is only a few extra dollars.

After 5 years of use, the Gates hoses are still very flexible, with no sign of perishing, so I repurpose the old hose for my land based engines.

I compliment my FI hose by using FI clamps - purchase by the box they are quite price competitive with the common variety, which do not provide as even a clamping pressure. Note: use the correct ID hose for your application - clamps are for security not sealing.

My Repco has always been willing to "come to the party" on price - I assume they all will negotiate (you will be purchasing more than the usual rev head). 

You didn't ask but I also use Gates coolant hose (except for the odd shaped top one, which I purchase from B Flood) - in my application Holden Gemini radiator hoses fit with little modification required and one Gates joiner.

My oil hoses (an odd size 17mm ID) comes from B Flood as a single length and is cut to length as required - if you cut to maximum length that will fit, apply a smear of silicon grease to each "spigot" end you will be able to V the hose and slip it it position - by being max length they can not come off, even if a hose clamp somehow lets go.

One of the good things about Gates is you can look up all the specifications for compatibility, permiability, burst pressure, etc. You can also look up dimension and when you make your selection, note the part number, go along to Repco, quote number (s) and they will either have in stock or give you a price on an order in. If its an order in it may attract an additional Repco charge (be sure to ask)

Edited by skippydiesel
  • Like 1
  • Informative 1

I am a bit of a control freak, so while I accept that the spring type ones are probably perfectly OK and what will be fitted by the factory, I prefer ones where I control the pressure (several different types available) 

• Like 1

I haven't found any(original fitting) that has done that. IF the size is right there is plenty of scope for it to close a bit more if required. Also easy (with the right tool) to check the tension.  I've seen failed (overtightened and distorted) worm drive ones which HAD been my preferred  method. Whether you can get to them is often an issue. Nev

4 hours ago, rhtrudder said:

The spring type spread the pressure better, but I worry that they could loose their tension, my fuel lines are mostly inside the cab behind the panel last thing I want is a line coming off 

I doubt that the spring type spread the pressure any better than proper FI hose clamps, which are specifically designed to give an even  (non pinching) pressure all round the hose.

As I said, backed up by Facthunter, the first thing is to get the correct hose size for the job - near enough is not good enough. The clamp (whatever sort to use) is for security not for leak prevention.