Skywatching 2

Hi all, tech snippet from Rob Greaves astronomy ;

New telescope pier aligning time. Get it pointed right tonight, marker pen it and weld the top plate on tomorrow.

( Looks as though a new bit of kit is coming )

Rob Greaves Telescope pier.jpg

Edited by Phil Perry
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

It might be an astro night on the new pier... some high cloud, so see how it goes - or doesn't!

629738234_ROBGREAVESRIGWITHNEWPIER.thumb.jpg.f355c25296429e8114252151dc96e602.jpg

It might be an astro night on the new pier... some high cloud, so see how it goes - or doesn't!

Here's one from Easter Sunday by Rob Greaves -( Cornwall UK )

IC1396 region of sky last night, 51mm aperture telescope, 1hr 30mins of 5min exposures.

IC1396 - Rob Greaves.jpg

Edited by Phil Perry
  • Winner 2

On the subject of expensive hobbies again,. . . . I forgot to mention that Rob the Photographer id also an amateur radio op ( G4MOH ) another pricey hobby.

Apparently his main camera has packed up now,  poor chap. 

Ready for another night of wires, USB conflicts, and frustration. . .

1758564147_AnothernightofwiresandfrustrationRobGreaves.thumb.jpg.6b53c164fcff41b01abcee9e0ebfd4be.jpg

More problems again tonight after last night. Looks like the camera is on the blink. Hopefully still under warranty.

Edited by Phil Perry

I've heard him say that initially, he frames the bit of sky he's after thru a small scope, . . . but the main pics are multiple exposures over an hour or so, on the motorized gimbal mount ( pictured ) 

I almost regret swapping my six inch (150mm ) reflector telescope for a Gibson ES 335 Leccy geetar plus fifty bucks way back in 1976. . .

Phil..

Edited by Phil Perry

• 4 weeks later...

When a bunch of Elon Musk's sodding Starlink satellites spoil one of the subframes of a deep sky object you're trying to shoot...

95218670_StarlinkSpoilers.thumb.jpg.dc1f7506d2426c66fcac52d7b01ef3b3.jpg

( Pic:  Rob Greaves Photography - Cornwall UK )

Edited by Phil Perry
  • Helpful 1
  • Informative 1

Crescent Nebula from last night. A rich area of nebulosity in Cygnus. Just over 2.5hrs of total exposure, 102mm apochromatic triplet telescope, and narrowband filter. Full frame shot, and a crop for Crescent Nebula detail.

Crescent Nebula 2.jpg

Crescent Nebula 3.jpg

( Rob Greaves - Cornwall UK )

Edited by Phil Perry
  • Like 1
  • Winner 1