Jabiru 55 3j

Tyro Driver

Howdy all just been looking at a jabiru that’s been sitting in hanger I’ve just moved into.  Been there for 12 years no love, wondering if it’s worth making an offer and rebuilding it/ getting to airworthy condition? The other question 6’3 pilot, it looks small but I reckon I could fit ? 

Cheers 

32 minutes ago, Tyro Driver said:

Howdy all just been looking at a jabiru that’s been sitting in hanger I’ve just moved into.  Been there for 12 years no love, wondering if it’s worth making an offer and rebuilding it/ getting to airworthy condition? The other question 6’3 pilot, it looks small but I reckon I could fit ? 

Cheers 

Hello Tyro; any Jab kept in a hanger should be in reasonable condition, but don’t be surprised if the engine barrels are rusted. 

Don’t worry about the fit. I’m taller than you (1925mm) and had no trouble fitting into the smaller early-model Jabs.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

6 minutes ago, Old Koreelah said:

Hello Tyro; any Jab kept in a hanger should be in reasonable condition, but don’t be surprised if the engine barrels are rusted. 

Don’t worry about the fit. I’m taller than you (1925mm) and had no trouble fitting into the smaller early-model Jabs.

Thanks for that I was factoring in an engine rebuild, will just have to see if the owner is willing to sell it, beats me why you would pay hanger rent for 10 years and not use it at all.

1 hour ago, Tyro Driver said:

Thanks for that I was factoring in an engine rebuild, will just have to see if the owner is willing to sell it, beats me why you would pay hanger rent for 10 years and not use it at all.

Unless the engine was inhibited the bores will be severely rusted. A gen4 may be the only realistic way forward. It could still be a cheap aircraft.  There has to be a reason why these jabiru's are sitting in the shed. I know of one just like it. They are a good airframe.  

• Like 1

My first airframe was a tyro and it was sitting for 2 years in a hanger. It has been one of the most rewarding experiences getting it flying, with a baby on the way a 2 seater is now required as well!

You'll have no problem fitting. I've got LONG legs, and I fit in a 55 or J120 no problems.

In order to get enough leg room, you can change out the rear seat pad for something thinner can gain same in length.

Check the roll/pitch control  tube before flying.... ( recent SB).

well you'd probably do a FULL annual before flying...

Try and get the engine SN from the plate on the crankcase.

Edited by RFguy

• 3 months later...
1 hour ago, Cobraruss said:

Hey Thruster88, any info you can afford me for that Jab, you know of sitting in the shed? Looking to get my hands on one. Cheers!

Will make enquiries and get back to you via personal message.  

• Like 1