Air Races; do they happen any more?

This historic clipping turned up recently: about our well-know local Dr. winning this race in 1975.

Abe was a keen aviator and set up a small airline at Quirindi Airport. His small fleet of aircraft carried passengers between Quirindi, Gunnedah, Tamworth and Sydney for several years. His hangar is now used by our local air spray business.

John Henry, also mentioned in the clipping, built our club’s hangar and used it as a flying school. 

This clipping will be a useful resource for our History of flying in the Quirindi District which I am researching with a couple of other locals. This is something many places should do before too many more old hands fall off the twigs and their precious memories are lost to history.

Like many other places, our little town had a visit from Smithy, who landed The Old Bus on a local hillside and took people for joy flights.

2CDD520D-8977-4021-BC8E-0DFC6826B498.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

Re the third place getters. They actually flew an RF-5 Sperber (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fournier_RF-5). During WW2 Werner Geisler flew with the Luftwaffe (109's?) and Dennis Mathews with the RAF (Typhoons).

• Informative 1

One time, (no, not at band camp...) we were in a cafe for breakfast and when it quietened down a bit, the chef/owner would come out and read the quiz from the Sun paper.

"What was the Schneider Cup award for?"

SEAPLANE RACING says I.

"Say what?????? What the hell is seaplane racing????????"

JUST LOOK UP THE ANSWER DUDE.

• Like 1

These "races" have been organised for tiger moths for quite a while. I've had friends do them but I don't know how often and when it's happened. It's a performance thing . They don't start all together.. I see VH ULH?? there in the promo. There was a sequence of UL(?) regos  I flew ULM in my early flying days, out of Newcastle (RNAC) They are all Gypsy Moths. Upright motors and all wood construction and no wing stagger.   Nev