Hello from YMBD

Guest dilojem

Guest dilojem

That's one of my friends... she was going to learn at MB but she only lives 15 mins from Aldinga... so I said she was mad not to learn at Aldinga rather than travel the distance to MB... if I lived that close... I'd be at Aldinga too!

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Di my mind must have been out of gear as I thought you were referring to an aircraft....Don't ask.

I live within 20 minutes of Aldinga but I still prefer to fly from MB, one reason being cost per hour. I believe the Recreational Pilots Academy is the cheapest in our area.

Guest dilojem

For sure... and of course the instructors are very patient!!! Hey I wouldn't change the experience and journey for anything... but if I lived closer... I could fly MORE OFTEN!!!! D*mn this aviation bug!!!

Hi Di, I'm a newbie here but I just had to say that I agree with you and the others that this flying thing is like some morbid disease or addiction. I took my first TIF in 1994 but didn't have the resources to do anything about it for another SIX years! That was in GA and it got too expensive to finish. Well, RA is my saviour and after whining and whinging about needing to get back in the sky for the past few years, my wife obviously had had enough and told to just GO and DO IT! So..come July, I start, hoping to get to the stage you are at as quickly as possible. I have family up in north-west QLD so plan on dropping in and surprising them.

I, too saw your article, just haven't had a chance to read it properly. I think it said something like "the experience of a mature age student"? or something like that. I'm sorry, you don't look that old yet. Otherwise, I'm going to have to start telling people that I'm mature too and that will never do!006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif

Guest Pop-top

Hi Diana,

I'm at Aldinga every Saturday now. (I'd be there every day if I didn't have full time work that I relied on to be able to fly in the first place!)

I'll have to go check out Murray bridge sometime, do they have facilities? ie a cafe or somewhere welcoming and communal? Or is it just hangars and club offices for students?

I've only ever "touch-and-go"'d there, so to speak. Other than the lovely aerial view, I don't know too much about it.

Guest basscheffers
ie a cafe or somewhere welcoming and communal? Or is it just hangars and club offices for students?

I think you'll find Aldinga quite the anomaly when it comes to that. Probably also the secret to its success, so easily copied but every other airfield is too stupid to do it...

Guest Pop-top

Awww... that's a little upsetting. Great for me though because I live 15 mins drive from Aldinga, but upsetting for most pilots I'd imagine.

I guess I sort of assumed that all airfields had a very homely atmosphere. I grew up near Tooradin airfield in VIC and always went to just watch the planes take off. They have a very lovely restaurant with fresh seafood as their specialty. Never spoke to anyone there about flying though (was far too shy).

Then I moved to Aldinga and they have a homely cafe...so you can see why I assumed flying=awesome foods and lots of chit chatting with people of similar interests :)

What if you had to PSL at another airfield and there was no food readily available!?

Guest basscheffers

Yeah, there are a few more anomalies around the country, but not many. If visiting YMBD, MBLAFS has a lunchtime barbie every Saturday to which quite a few people show up. At Truro Flats, there's usually someone to brew you a cuppa.

Don't think there's much else around in SA, certainly not all-week like at Aldinga, at best you'll get a barbie lunch organised by a club or school.

I hope to be around there this weekend, probably on Sunday for a $100 beef pie.

It does seem to be getting busier there, getting a flight during the weekend at Aldinga seems to be getting harder. It will be interesting to see what it is like when the weather improves!

It is nice, in this weather, sitting near the fireplace and having a coffee while watching students do their training (esp last Saturday, we were doing battle with the 18kt gusting to 30 kt winds, sometimes it look like we could walk faster :-)). We seem to get a few people that just want to eat and watch and not actually fly.

Steven.

Guest Pop-top
I hope to be around there this weekend, probably on Sunday for a $100 beef pie.

:ah_oh: $100 beef pie?! where is that at...please tell me it's a typo?

Steven; I'm experiencing that issue already. Hopefully it wont be too long before I'm an instructor then I can help out ;)

Hi Di,

Liked your article last month. I won't repeat what the others have said however I have built a couple of Jabs (see my thread from yesterday when I joined this group), and have assisted numerous others to get the best from their investment with maintenance & repairs.

basscheffers has it pretty well sorted out, tho'

Cheers,

Jabpilot

Hi Di,

Wow, it's taken me a while to realise that you've found the Recreational Flying Forums. It was great to read your article in the RAAus Mag. It's a pity i haven't caught up with you recently at Murray Bridge, i've been kept away from there too much lately, and i'm so desperate to get in the air again!

Hope to see you around the school again soon!

Cheers,

Tyson

Hi Di,

I would recommend buying -- you get to fly a whole heap more and to places that are hard to take a hire and fly -- my first purchase was Jab 5678, known originally as Priscilla and I put it on line at MBD, am now on plane number three!! If you want to see and experience other planes join our club at Goolwa or just come and visit on BBQ days -- anyone is always welcome

cheers Peter

Di, Jodie, Steven, Tyson and anyone else in the vicinity, lunch meet at Aldinga on Sunday? Say 12.30. Fly or drive, doesn't matter. Buy your own cause I'm broke, lol

Di, Jodie, Steven, Tyson and anyone else in the vicinity, lunch meet at Aldinga on Sunday? Say 12.30. Fly or drive, doesn't matter. Buy your own cause I'm broke, lol

Sounds good to me. :-) I am there on Saturday at 11:00 too to do some shortfields, the last thing to be signed off!!

Steven.

Would love to Doug, but sadly i have a prior engagement with an orienteering map....

Definately keep me posted for next time though!!! Still hankering for a fly, and soon (i need to stop working full time!).

Cheers,

Tyson

Guest Pop-top

That sounds like a great Idea!

Unfortunately, I cant make it on Sunday either. Though much like Steven I'll be there Saturday (all Day) so we could make it around 12-1pm'ish Saturday if that would suit anyone else?

Guest basscheffers

I was planning to, but was too late in reserving the sporty for myself. Have it booked 11-15 next sunday to take Kylie to lunch at Aldinga!

Guest dilojem
I, too saw your article, just haven't had a chance to read it properly. I think it said something like "the experience of a mature age student"? or something like that. I'm sorry, you don't look that old yet. Otherwise, I'm going to have to start telling people that I'm mature too and that will never do!006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif

LOL... well mature in the fact that I'm not one of the lucky ones in my 20's to be learning... and able to actually GET my licence in 20 hours... so the older we are, the longer it takes... apparently... so therefore the 'mature' comment! 051_crying.gif.fe5d15edcc60afab3cc76b2638e7acf3.gif

Guest dilojem
Hi Di,Wow, it's taken me a while to realise that you've found the Recreational Flying Forums. It was great to read your article in the RAAus Mag. It's a pity i haven't caught up with you recently at Murray Bridge, i've been kept away from there too much lately, and i'm so desperate to get in the air again!

Hope to see you around the school again soon!

Cheers,

Tyson

Hi Tyson... great to hear from you... I did catch up with Troy briefly one day... but have been wondering if you been busy plotting ocean floors with that laser thingy???

I understand your desperation about getting back into the air again... and the weather at the moment is perfect for it... like silk!!!! See you very soon!!!

Guest dilojem

:thumb_up: Lunch at Aldinga

Hey guys - this sounds like a fabby idea for a catch up...obviously this weekend is not going to work for any of us.... so Doug... how about another date in advance so we can plan something in our flying diaries... weather permitting of course... and maybe a Sat may be better for some of those more local... I don't mind either way, just need advance warning!

Murray Bridge as a dining venue..... Yes Bass is right about Aldinga being something special in that area... however, that said.... if you WERE to land on a Thursday at Murray Bridge, with some advance warning, and around lunch time... we generally do have a BBQ at RPA (Recreational Pilots Academy) and if we know in advance we can cater for all numbers... so.... maybe we need to organise a BBQ fly in at YMBD.... whose is up for that? and would a weekend be a better idea.... we are very welcoming at RPA!!! 018_hug.gif.8f44196246785568c4ba31412287795a.gif and soon to have better coffee too!!! 011_clap.gif.c796ec930025ef6b94efb6b089d30b16.gif

Let me know any interest and I'll see what we can arrange.

OK guys, midday at Aldinga on Saturday it is, see you there. Be warned, I'll be appraising your landings. :devil:

Di, I'll leave the YMBD fly-in to you to organize. Better give James and the boys an early heads up so that they can cut the grass etc. 006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif Might also have to arrange for parking in front of other hangers, just in case the gang shows up.

Guest Pop-top

Sounds very exciting :big_grin: and as Di mentioned, if not many can make it this Saturday next sat is also fine for me.

Di, if you're able to make it - you will also be able to meet Karen (another student pilot at Aldinga) :rotary:

Guest dilojem

Would you believe it... I was sitting at RPA (YMBD) today (this morning) doing some work on my computer, fellow pilot rang and said... "Where are you? Want to come to Aldinga for coffee & cake?" Well... is the pope a catholic or what? Of course I said YES!!! So... he flew in and I've already been to Aldinga today, after a delayed start... and had the wonderful bacon and egg sandwich and coffee x 2..... so Sat is definitely out of the question for me this week as I wasn't even supposed to be in the air today and certainly not that far afield... but hey... these things happen don't they!

I will talk to James about a BBQ on a weekend... maybe a Sunday... and will post it on the RPA website and of course let all of you know... but please let me know your interest so I can gauge numbers and a possible date.... we have PLENTY of space to park planes!!!! lol... I've mentioned it to James and he is all for it!!!