Subaru EA 81

Adrian Lewer

image.jpg.beee263575e0caee830d01a45bf1c673.jpg Hi Mike, this ECU is for fuel injection only but Haltech also make an ECU for ignition as well. you would not need one for carbs. Haltech is the company that makes the ECU's, I am sure they would be available in the USA. I am from Australia. Check out [email protected] Have included a photo of the Mahle pistons which are over 100 grams lighter than the standard cast Pistons . Cheers, Ray.

Hi ray....this is mike..thanks for your time..is the haltec 3 d compatible with a carb set up....also would you happen to know the company that makes it...thank you for all your help ....I live in usa

Mike, Consider using waste spark system getting rid of the dizzy,with all of it's mechanical slop et al.

The system is easily set up with the EDIS system from donor FORD motors. Controlled by the AutoSport Lab

Microcontrooler called MegaJolt Lite. Completely mapable ignition withh several configurable output ports.

Can use either MAP or TPS inputs. ROCK solid ignition......BIG rock! Needs a 36-1 tooth trigger wheel mounted

on the crank and reluctor sensor.

Mike, Consider using waste spark system getting rid of the dizzy,with all of it's mechanical slop et al.The system is easily set up with the EDIS system from donor FORD motors. Controlled by the AutoSport Lab

Microcontrooler called MegaJolt Lite. Completely mapable ignition withh several configurable output ports.

Can use either MAP or TPS inputs. ROCK solid ignition......BIG rock! Needs a 36-1 tooth trigger wheel mounted

on the crank and reluctor sensor.

Thank you. ...

Sorry to throw cold water on the use of waste spark ignition on carby EA81's.

I went down this path right from day 1 with my EA81 and it took me a while to work out why it would miss fire above about 3500 rpm. Eventual answer? With the reworked cam profile, and the Siamesed inlet ports, the wasted spark occurs just BEFORE the relevant inlet valve fully closes. (Check the valve overlap degrees). This allows the apparently irrelevant spark to fire stray mixture in the inlet manifold, probably due to resonance effects at certain RPM. Hence my previously posted path of points distributor, Hitachi electronic dizzy to Nippon Denso electronic dizzy. If you want my flywheel triggered waste spark setup to further experiment with, you are welcome to it. (It even includes a retard programme for starting). I keep coming back to the KISS principle for engine setups!

Sorry to throw cold water on the use of waste spark ignition on carby EA81's.I went down this path right from day 1 with my EA81 and it took me a while to work out why it would miss fire above about 3500 rpm. Eventual answer? With the reworked cam profile, and the Siamesed inlet ports, the wasted spark occurs just BEFORE the relevant inlet valve fully closes. (Check the valve overlap degrees). This allows the apparently irrelevant spark to fire stray mixture in the inlet manifold, probably due to resonance effects at certain RPM. Hence my previously posted path of points distributor, Hitachi electronic dizzy to Nippon Denso electronic dizzy. If you want my flywheel triggered waste spark setup to further experiment with, you are welcome to it. (It even includes a retard programme for starting). I keep coming back to the KISS principle for engine setups!

Hi again. ...I am interested in your waste spark set up....I live in the usa..how much are you asking for it....I have stock ea81 with custom intake and Ellison throttle body ....also can you tell me more about your kiss principal. ...thank you for all your help

KISS - "Keep it simple, Stupid" or words to that effect. I have tried to maintain as many as possible of the systems the EA81 operated under when in a car, e.g. cooling (still using standard thermostat and water pump), ignition, crankcase ventilation. I also don't use an oil cooler, just provide airflow over the stock sump. I do, however, use a larger single carby to provide sufficient airflow at the revs required.

KISS - "Keep it simple, Stupid" or words to that effect. I have tried to maintain as many as possible of the systems the EA81 operated under when in a car, e.g. cooling (still using standard thermostat and water pump), ignition, crankcase ventilation. I also don't use an oil cooler, just provide airflow over the stock sump. I do, however, use a larger single carby to provide sufficient airflow at the revs required.

Hello again..what type of carb do you use I have the stock intake as well as a fabricated one which separates coolants. .thanks for your help mike

Gooday Mike

Some time ago I posted the full specs of my engine - search "Subaru EA81" and it should come up. I use a stock manifold from an EA82 with a home-made adaptor elbow to mount an SU HIF6 carby as used on Volvo B series engines back in about the 1970's or 80's. It's 1 3/4 inch throat and feeds the EA81 very well.

Gooday MikeSome time ago I posted the full specs of my engine - search "Subaru EA81" and it should come up. I use a stock manifold from an EA82 with a home-made adaptor elbow to mount an SU HIF6 carby as used on Volvo B series engines back in about the 1970's or 80's. It's 1 3/4 inch throat and feeds the EA81 very well.

Ok thank you