Jabiru J160 sloppy joystick

Guest Kevin the Penniless

Guest Kevin the Penniless

Hi. Just curious. I'm learning to fly a Jabiru J160 and have noticed a lot of play in the joystick pivot bolt. The joystick can move inches sideways before it actually has any affect on the ailerons. Am I paranoid? I would expect little play and am tempted to inspect the bolt myself. If this bolt failed, the next wings you have would be angels wings. I compared it with another jab and it definately is sloppy. Your advise appreciated.

Remember, sky divers go down faster but pilots stay up longer...

Guest brentc

Kevin, there's a number of areas where there could be problems. The push-pull cables could have a lot of play in them or simply the bolts on the aileron horn could have an issue (less likely). Depending on the hours flown the push pull cables may be due for replacement as they could be at their life. For a close look you'd need to check the rear of the shaft that the control column is attached to (the one that pivots when you go from side to side), it's there that the three bolts that are the most important are to be found. Two bolts hold on the cables to the horn, then one bolt holds the horn onto the rotating shaft. There's also the bolt that holds on the control handle itself, this should be easy to spot a problem on.

It's always good as a student if you notice something to have a look yourself and if you're not happy ask the instructor or maintenance guy if you know them. As instructors often move around aircraft all day they may miss something.

Hi Kevin, if you think there is a problem then check it out, dont keep on flying something that you are not 1000% happy with, you might save your neck or some other person who is scared of offending the people who are hiring the plane to you. Good luck with your flying.

Brian

Good airmanship would say don't fly it until it has been checked by a competent maintainer. If you are not happy then, still don't fly it. It is never stupid to be careful.

Hi. Just curious.The joystick can move inches sideways before it actually has any affect on the ailerons. Am I paranoid?

Hi Kevin,

Short answer,No your not paranoid,get it fixed,ASAP. 041_helmet.gif.78baac70954ea905d688a02676ee110c.gif

Cheers,

Frank.002_wave.gif.62d5c7a07e46b2ae47f4cd2e61a0c301.gif

The Service Manual allows 3-4mm of play depending on which control surface. Inspections are required at 1000 hours, replacement at 10,000 hours.

I got new pivot washers from Jabiru. They are thicker than the orginals and removed almost all slack in the system. Teflon spray (stuff used on garage door slides) where the cables go through the rubber boots will improve the control feel.

Been in a number of 160's and have noticed in the higher hour ones that it is common to have slop. In itself not a major problem and probably compensated for by frequent flyers of that aircraft.

It is unacceptable to have to learn with as it leads to overcorrection.

If the owner/instructor wont fix it, I would go elcewhere as it indercates sloppyness with maintenance.