a newbie with big ideas...

hello all,

just became a member here, and i've started taking flying lessons.

i love it!!

i want my own airplane right now.

here is a thought!

lessons are really expensive, it hurts the wallet alot...

the cost of hiring the plane + instructor fees, really clamps down on how many lessons I can take. I’m trying to take a lesson once a week.

there has to be a better way…

your thoughts...

what about setting up a syndicate ownership of an airplane??

Maybe about 6 other beginner pilots to put in maybe $10,000 ea.

Share the maintenance, insurance, hanger costs…

Then the only other fee is the flight instructor.

Hanger costs alone are about $1500 divided by 6 syndicate members = $250ea.

Am I dreaming, or do people do this??

I would really appreciate some input and advise on this matter.

Anyone interested??

robbospy

Welcome mate, enjoy you flying and this site.A fair bit of your questions have been covered from time to time here.Just needs a bit if searching.I will try and answer some of them. A- i want a a/c now. A few guys do buy a a/c during training, but IMO, i think it is a good idea to sample a few different a/c, before buying.Alot of guys buy a a/c, early on and are happy with them, but a few admit that, after they have a few hours up, they would have bought something else.Syndicates can work, but it is hard getting 6 or so other student pilots .Personally i think it just complicate things, especially when just starting out, early in your aviation training.Anyway mate thats my 50 cents worth. Im just looking at it from a different angle. Good luck, with your training buddy.

Guest Wigg

Welcome to the forums robospy, I agree with dazza's reply to you. Don't rush into it as it can become a very expensive hobby. Maintenance is not cheap, & you would have to be sure of the other syndicate memebers. My 2 cents worth.

Flying training costs.

Flying training in RAAus environment is cheaper per hour in real terms than it ever was, in the past. You can get "X" number of hours for an average weeks wages. Years ago it was about one quarter of that or less. Re buying an aircraft, they really can cost a lot of money to operate. You have to insure it. In the case where you have 6 ab-initio students using it you might have some difficulty getting a low figure. What if the plane gets damaged and takes months to repair? When you all get your certificates some will want out. You need to select the members of a syndicate well. Better to just get on with the training and that is enough to occupy your mind, as well as loading yourself with a lot of other problems.

An exception might be... IF you knew what plane YOU wanted and you were sure of it, Say it was a Jab 230 for example you could purchase it and have control of the maintenance and use yourself. This could have some appeal as some aircraft on line are not as good as you might want your own to be. ALL aircraft that are hired out have the problem of just what was done to it by the previous pilot, and how well they are maintained.. This is separate from your post as you were trying to save money whereas my last point is a safety issue and the most important reason for owning your own plane. nev

Flying training in RAAus environment is cheaper per hour in real terms than it ever was, in the past. You can get "X" number of hours for an average weeks wages. Years ago it was about one quarter of that or less. Re buying an aircraft, they really can cost a lot of money to operate. You have to insure it. In the case where you have 6 ab-initio students using it you might have some difficulty getting a low figure. What if the plane gets damaged and takes months to repair? When you all get your certificates some will want out. You need to select the members of a syndicate well. Better to just get on with the training and that is enough to occupy your mind, as well as loading yourself with a lot of other problems.An exception might be... IF you knew what plane YOU wanted and you were sure of it, Say it was a Jab 230 for example you could purchase it and have control of the maintenance and use yourself. This could have some appeal as some aircraft on line are not as good as you might want your own to be. ALL aircraft that are hired out have the problem of just what was done to it by the previous pilot, and how well they are maintained.. This is separate from your post as you were trying to save money whereas my last point is a safety issue and the most important reason for owning your own plane. nev

What he said.

Mark D

PS Don't mean to piddle on your bonfire but these instructors and aircraft owners aren't driving new BMW's. If you take all into account hiring isn't much different to owning. Let the poor buggers make something.

Welcome robbospy, I can't agree more with the other guy's, just concentrate on the lessons and enjoy the flying for a while until you know what you want.

Hope you enjoy the site and let us know how you are going with the lessons.

Monty

well, it seems that you all, that know about things bout flying have spoken....

you all overwhelmingly have told me to concentrate on my flying...

i'd be a fool to think i know better..

thankyou very much, and i will listen, for now..

cheers

On ya buddy,

when you get you licence try a few different types of ac and decide what you want to do. fly for distance, speed, or wind in your face fun. Then you will get what you want the first time. Have fun and keep us posted on how you are going with the lessons.

Monty

l'll just add how l see it.

l am having lessons at the moment and have progressed to circuts.

l want my own aircraft, l want to do some air touring, l want to do 200mph in cruise, l want to build my own aircraft, l want to maintane it myself.

So certain parts are easy, l have restored vintage and calssic cars and am a Mechanical, Electronic Engineer and maintain trucks and do IT for the company l work for.

Building a aircraft doesnt scare me. (testing might :) )

Two aircraft fit my requirments, a Nexus Mustang and RV8, the Nexus Mustang fits my budget better.

If l build it myself, l am allowed to do all the maitenece.

l am figuring that l could have a aircraft in the air for less than $60k.

Maintenece would be parts only as l will do it myself.

Nows the rub, you need to pick peoples brains and do the research.

You need also to have the skills to do it and dont be affraid to ask dumb qeustions.

(l know l do :) )

And so far l have found with aircraft you bleed money. :)

regards Bruce

PS Don't mean to piddle on your bonfire but these instructors and aircraft owners aren't driving new BMW's. If you take all into account hiring isn't much different to owning. Let the poor buggers make something.

Unfortunately,True.

chill_out.gif.cee4903a35751abb602feb480645ccbb.gif The way to make a "Small Fortune" in aviation training is to start with a "Big Fortune".

Cheers,

Frank.002_wave.gif.62d5c7a07e46b2ae47f4cd2e61a0c301.gif

200 Mph Cruise.

This figure is just about where you can get to,if the plane is a very clean design and a bit overpowered. Some of these aircraft are "rumbly' as far as engine damping/isolation are concerned.

IF you fly under 10,000 ft (as you must without oxygen), you are going to get some serious turbulence occasionally especially in the inner parts of australia in the afternoon, and at those cruise speeds you ar going to feel it well and truly. If you hit a wedgetail eagle at that speed you are probably a write-off. Bit negative, but something to consider. You do need a pretty strong plane with all the flutter problems sorted out..Nev.

One thing to keep in mind is neither of those planes can be registered under RA-Aus rules. So if you have your heart set on them you will have to get a GA ticket sooner or later. Give your instructor a heads up early and you can probably save quite a bit of money (and time).

I found that my aircraft desires changed a lot as I progressed through my lessons and I started to get a better feel for what sort of flying I was likely to be doing "most of the time". Origionally I wanted a fast two seater for touring round the country in, now its go anywhere STOL plane (CH701). Its not to say I don't lust after the gofastys, they just arn't practical for the flying I want to do.

Guest drizzt1978

I was once just like you, wanted a plane ASAP!!! after 18 months of flying and hiring I ended up in a Syndicate of 6! By the time 18 months had passed i was certain I wanted a plane and had flown several different types, then everyhting had a way of falling into place....Wait untill the time is right.....