Fabric paints!!

I was just wondering from people that have had a bit to do with fabric aircraft about what type of paint they prefer to use on the poly fibre stits fabric system. I cant decide if I want to go the standard Poly-tone paint that is easy to repair and touch up if i do damage something,or the Aero-thane paint that has a nice high gloss finish but is harder to work with and not so easy to touch up or repair the fabric. Having absolutely no experience with fabic at all I'd love to hear your thoughts. I'm just about to order all the stuff for the covering job and would like to get the paint at the same time. Thanks

I used Poly Tone and it is no doubt easy to repair, but after 7 years since building I would have to buy new paint etc to do repairs and paint is not only expensive but also considered to be a hazardous material attracting a hefty price just to get it to you.

I don't know if this applies to the other systems.

Fabric Paint.

The type of paint to use on fabric is called "thin". All I can remember is that thick paint can crack as it vibrates and the fabric tends to crack beneath it. I would like to use a paint that can be touched up and blended in. I have seen people sanding back their fabric, and it scares me the amount of care and time that is needed. You can add a lot of weight to an aircraft with paint. Nev

yes the manual does say about being very careful not to go overboard with the paint ,it is mentioned in nice big bold writing in one spot, most of the planes I have seen so far have been done in poly-tone so it stands to reason that that is the easiest way to go ,,but those nice glossy and shiny finish I've seen on the one and only aero-thane painted plane did look sweet.

Having painted a number of gliders, fabric & glass as well as Light Wing (2 Pack) and Aerpup ( Poly Tone) the only way to go I think is Poly Tone on fabric for practicability and longevity. It's amazing how many spirals and paint fractures appear at fly ins or air shows with the more ridgid high gloss paints. I'm not saying there aren't good flexable high gloss finishes, I've Seen some really nice gloss work on fabric aerobatic A/C.

Regards frosty

I think you might have sold me on that one Kev :) Like I say I have really no experience at all with paint and fabric. Mostly but I really couldn't see how you could sand back the glossier paint for a repair job and not damage or weaken the rib stitching for instance.Oh well at the end of the day Aeropup's are not really a show plane so looks like the poly tone for me .