Narromine Preperation and related Questions

This year i hope to Fly into Narromine for the first time, in the past i have driven, and always found accommodation at Tomingly about 50 km SW of narromine..

This time i plan on flying from Newcastle to Narromine in a Vampire, which as limited cargo space. a very small tent, and sleeping bag might just get in, i cant image any cooking gear or bedroll will fit.. let alone food and too many changes of clothes. sadly i don't have a partner to drive out there with all my gear, so i will be solo and have to be self sufficient so to speak, nothing more than can be carried in the aircraft.

anyway, what is required to camp under the wing apart from tent and sleeping bag? how available is food? and amenities or cooking facilities? or even the chance of getting accommodation this close to narromine at the airport?

What have others done in the past and what have your experiences been when camping under the wing at Narromine???

thanks...

Just a thought. if you don't have the room to stow your gear would it be convienient to send it via courier to the caravan park office on the airfield.

it would only take a phone call to the office to arrange holding it.

ozzie

Ozzie

I will be there with a Recreational Flying Stand so you can always send it to me or let me know where to pick it up for you in Narromine - this goes for any other forum members as well.

Guest Fred Bear

Another thought, if someone going to Narromine from up that way is driving, pass it on to them. I am sure they would be more than happy to carry it. If I did not have 2 kids and a little hatchback aaarghhh!!! 068_angry.gif.cc43c1d4bb0cee77bfbafb87fd434239.gif and you were leaving from Sydney, I would be more than happy to take it for you. I think I am flying up in the Dash 8 at this stage to Dubbo then Mrs is picking me up from there (that could change though if there is an offer to fly up with someone) :)018_hug.gif.8f44196246785568c4ba31412287795a.gif

Although the weather is usually warm during the day, it can get bloody cold at night!

When packing the Vampire, keep the baggage box for hard things, and stuff all the soft stuff, clothes, towels etc into the wing leading edge before rigging.

Beware of the stall warning wire.

If you can find a broom handle or similar, you could stick it up the unrolled sleeping bag and insert it as well.

You will need some one to hold the wing open when you want it all out again.

Narromine; food's available, showers are available, you will need to find a drum to mix your fuel but if you have an oil preference, you will have to bring it.

All much easier if you have two baggage boxes?

Don't forget you wing spanners!

Arthur.

Ultralights

Just to comment on what Pylon said about the temperature, it may not be that apparent just how cold it can get up there if you're used to staying in a motel.

I had a sleeping bag rated about 5 degrees or so I thought, it was actually an 8 degree bag usable down to 5 degrees but not necessarily keeping you warm, just alive:-(

Last Easter overnight temperatures in Dubbo were recorded at 10, 2 and 5 degrees, the previous year they got down to 7 degrees. Fortunately I was in a vehicle and I keep some picnic blankets in the vehicle, you never know when they'll come in handy and they did, all of them.

This year I have a new sleeping bag.

Make sure you have a good bag and a good sleeping mat.

Mark

PS And an appropriate tent.

Smokey is right,

She can get a bit cold out the western part.. I know it does here and we're only 35 minute flight away.. I might fly home and come back the next morning