Newbie Needs Advice

Lexman

Howdy everyone.

I've finally persuaded the wife to let me pursue my dream of becoming a pilot and owning my own plane. I have heaps of questions that I'm currently researching.

First of all: High-wing or low-wing, which should I learn on? It appears to me that most schools use high-wing, is this because they are more learner-friendly or is this due to something else altogether less reasoned (like cost)?

Second: I'm a DIY fanatic and hence intend to build my plane. I love the look of the Morgan Aeroworks Sierra and also the Arion Aircraft Lightning. Any comments on these two options? Or would a STOL such as the Zenith CH750 be more appropriate as a first plane?

I'll leave it at just the two questions to start with.

Cheers,

Lexman.

Forget which plane, I want to know how you convinced the wife !!

Still working on mine, took her to tomora at easter, that was a good start.

I have a PPL and then coverted to RAA, anything with wings is good, I'm hoping to build a jabiru, J170, seem to be good value, the Kits are very well prepared, also Bundy is not far away for me if I run into trouble.

G'day Lexman.

As usual with flying there is no best or worst, it all depends upon what you want to do. High wing, good for long grass on the strip, great for shade on a hot day, most high wing planes don't need fuel pumps to keep them going, nowhere near as hot when on the ground. Low wing gives good visibility except directly down, but more important to me it looks like a real aeroplane. The Sierra is a great aeroplane, good for long distance travel, don't know about the Arion, never seen one. STOL such as the Zenith is a different type of flying, a fair bit slower, but so much better at rough paddocks and hard to get into fields. Great fun type of machine.

Work out what you want to do flying and then you can start looking at different options. You may of course find that whatever you first fly remains the typ you gravitate to.

Hi Lexman, welcome aboard. Each to his own, but I wouldn't rush into deciding on an aircraft just yet, fly whatever your local school has, try a couple of others then make up your mind. You may find that what you originally liked isn't actually for you.

Everyone has their own preference, I tend toward high wing, probably because that is what I originally learnt on, although I will concede that when I switched to RA, I found I really enjoyed the low wing Tecnam Golf because of the visibility in the circuit.

Whatever the outcome, you're embarking on a great adventure - enjoy the ride and keep us posted as to your progress.

In response to your question Darryle, I think she just took pity on me...

I carted the entire family off to Temora at easter, arrived on the 4th (all the ads said April 2 - 4) just in time to watch the last few planes leaving. I was shattered. As I said, I think it's just a huge case of pity.

By the way, why the goodness would they advertise April 2 - 4 when in fact everybody has left town before lunch on the 4th? Is it just the RAA version of a practical joke?

Cheers,

Lexman.

I hope your wife realises what she's let herself in for!

I'd suggest getting your licence before you decide on a plane. Best to concentrate on one thing at a time. Learning to fly takes a fair amount of time and effort, plus it will give you a chance to do some window shopping and get some tyre-kicking experience along the way.

The other question is `how much do you plan to spend on a plane?' If you get a kit from overseas, don't forget the effect of exchange rates, plus freight and import costs. They could add around 20% to the purchase price.

rgmwa

I carted the entire family off to Temora at easter, arrived on the 4th (all the ads said April 2 - 4) just in time to watch the last few planes leaving. I was shattered. As I said, I think it's just a huge case of pity.

That's a shame 051_crying.gif.fe5d15edcc60afab3cc76b2638e7acf3.gif Temora was a good show. However it earned you the pity vote :big_grin:...surely far more valuable and more fun in the long run. Wish I'd have thought of it.... i_dunno

Peter

Welcome along Lexman,

Good on ya with the Wife mate! I have to agree with my fellow aviators concentrate on the flying for now and decide on the aircraft later. You will have a better idea what is for you then. Keep us informed how it is going. And buy the Wife a big box of chocolates.

Monty

Hi Lexman, Welcome aboard. I am looking at building a Sierra myself. I had the chance to look over slarti's cheetah at the Mudgee airshow a few weeks ago, very nice. I am going up to Forster for the long weekend, so will be dropping in at factory at Taree to have a stickybeak too. I'm just down the road in Cranebrook by the way, Steve

Guest Wigg

I prefer a high wing for a couple of reasons,

As you get older climbing on wings to get into planes then having to step down into the seats to get into & out of I find gets more difficult.

the second reason if you are sitting in the back seat (piper G/A) I find that the veiw is blocked by the wing. Just my 2 cents worth.

Welcome to the forums Lexman hope you enjoy it here. cheers Wigg

Steve T,

Since you're only a few minutes down the road, any suggestions on flight schools? I've checked out one at Bankstown and will shortly be checking out ones at Camden and The Oaks. Let me know how the trip to the factory goes.

Cheers,

Lexman

Hi Lexman, I would go to the oaks, I have spoken to john at Daves Flying School, I will do my RA conversion soon. Bankstown too busy, along way from training area,alot of time on ground too. Camden is good, exposure to tower on weekends, can be busy with bankstown a/c doing circuits then heading back. No fees at the oaks. I think Dave lives locally too, at Llandilo. Hope this helps, contact me if you need anymore help, only happy to help, cheers Steve

Plane ,Planes ,planes ??????

Gooday Lexman, 098_welcome.gif.81ff07d492568199326e4f64f78d7bc6.gif

Mick here I trained in RAA in a Jabiru and and loved it. :thumb_up: Looked at a number of Kits & planes. Visited different fatorys joined the local aero club and flew a as many types of planes as i could, both high wing and low wings they both have good vision. I also looked at "avalibility of parts" after service and that put some of the imported ones out " beware" 088_censored.gif.2b71e8da9d295ba8f94b998d0f2420b4.gif Make shore the plane has been load tested. Who designed the plane? What tooling and jigs i need to build the plane. I rung different flying schools to find out what planes they used and what problems they had. My advice is buy a Australian made.:thumb_up: Go and test fly then all. Metal or composite if it is left out in the weather i would buy metal. Are you flying out of paddocks or short fields take off distance? Are you going to travel long distance or just fly local? Are you going to hire the plane? how much is insurance? How much can you afford? Check out exactly what comes in the kit and what extras you need to buy, there will be extras. Have a legal contract set up for the perchise with late penaltise apply if it is not completed on time. Don"t pay the final paymont untill you have all the complete kit. Heaps to think about before you buy a plane.

Don't believe everything people say just because they don't like or had a bad experance, that dosn't mean its no good 049_sad.gif.af5e5c0993af131d9c5bfe880fbbc2a0.gif

Do your homework.

Hope this helps 011_clap.gif.c796ec930025ef6b94efb6b089d30b16.gif

Mick

Steve T,

I noticed the instructor from Dave's Flying School is in Llandilo, so I am seriously considering them and will be making contact in the not too distant future. I do like the idea of getting experience at a tower controlled airport such as Camden and Bankstown, but Bankstown is probably too busy. I've also tossed up the idea of going to Bathurst, it's only an extra 20 minutes drive on Camden.

Mick,

That's all good advice, I've been warned about some of the rubbery specification numbers that some manufacturers come up with. I would very much like to go with an Aussie company but if I can't find what I want locally then I am prepared to go with an international manufacturer. I am currently very much leaning towards the Jab3300 to power my plane. What I'm thinking (at this stage) is a plane with very good visibility and low speed handling for tootling around but also has decent cruise speed, range and carrying capacity so I can do weekends away and ultimately a trip around Australia. De-rigging wings to allow trailering is viewed as a huge advantage. Maybe I need to build 2 planes...

Cheers,

Lexman.

Maybe I need to build 2 planes...

Not at all Lexman. You just described the Morgan Sierra. Make sure you check it out.

Ticks every box. With flaps will stall at 22 knots. Cruise with a Jab 3300 is 135 knots. Large luggage. Wings off in 5 minutes. Great range even without optional wing tanks. Great visibility.

Aussie made to boot (Garry is of kiwi hatching, but he's been here a long time).

You're right Slartibartfast, the Sierra is basically everything I'm after. There's only 2 things that gnaw away at me with regards to it's suitability; Firstly, I'm not sure whether I should go for low wing over high wing configuration. Secondly, I'm a technology whore and aluminium over composite seems just soo last century. Apart from that, the Sierra is spot on (but doesn't look as sleek as say the lightning, but I'm guessing that's due to the aluminium shell).

Cheers,

Iain.

planes Planes planes

Gooday lexman

If your going to travel around AUS perhaps a J200 Jabiru, heeps of room in the rear for gear and still in wait envalope, good cruse speed 120 kts '2 miles a minut'. Good all round aeroplane. Aus made big plus.

That would be my secand choice of planes. :thumb_up:

Why do you want folding wings? What ever you decide make shore you hire one or find somewone with one and go on a trip before you buy one.

A test flight is not enouth time. 049_sad.gif.af5e5c0993af131d9c5bfe880fbbc2a0.gif

Have you started flying yet:rotary:

Bathurst or Orange is a good place to learn they Both have RPT. And there training area is close by. 106_score_009.gif.17e848c1c38015657a6bc3c8116ef6cb.gif

Catch up soon

Mick

a Cobra arrow with carbon fibre fuselage would give great performance with a jab 3300, is Australian made, and looks sensational - but I am totally biased

Peter

De-rigging wings so the plane is can be put on a trailer - Just to make it more convenient with regards to departure point, for various reasons. I see this as a big plus, but would only consider it if the de-rigging setup doesn't weaken the planes structural integrity. I definitely won't be committing to a kit until I've done the full due diligence on the manufacturer and model.

Cheers,

Lexman.