My Flight progress - Jab 160 Bathurst

500 ft Circuits - Cross wind circuits

2nd Sept - This day was pretty windy , good practice for crosswind and also instructor threw in 500ft circuits as well, got a little confused at first with radio calls, eventually got hang of it. We changed runways a few times as well for more advanced circuits, started on Rwy 35, then changed to 26., back to 35 for crosswind again. Certainly a test , felt like i was put through a ringer, very good practice though.

06 Sept - another windy day, 16 knots at 220, which kept changing as we advanced through each circuit. We used 26 the whole time to get used to crosswinds more and more, 4 hours of these before i go solo in high winds. We only used first stage of flaps to help a more stable landing and faster speed, a solid approach. Even just the smallest of things, really help a great approach.

Today was a good lesson. They are all good lessons, but its really what you take away from each day. 011_clap.gif.c796ec930025ef6b94efb6b089d30b16.gif

Dave

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cross winds!

Sat 11 Sept ( who would think i would be flying a plane on Sept 11) - the flying is going really good, well and truely into the ADVCD and Abnormal CCTS over last few hours. Sat was my first Solo ccts in crosswinds, approx 11 knots, not real strong, bad enough for a learner though. I was up for approx 4 ccts with instructor, then did 30-40 min on my own. It was a great experience, most of my solo had been done with normal winds, (i didnt mind) . I now have 3 hours solo and 31 hours total flying now. Not far from training area solo and exam for Pilot Cert.

The training has been unreal and enjoying it immensely. Thanks again to Chris who has made this possible.

Dave

• 2 weeks later...

Solo Flying

Hey all, havent updated for awhile..

Flying going real well, last 2 days basically been up solo , almost 2 hours doing circuits , plus a quick trip out to training area too.

Today was first day where instructor didnt come with me for the first 15 or so minutes. Its a buzz really to know i can go from start to finish and be competent enough to fly the plane safely and bring it back. It was busy as well, had rex come in as i was taxiing, a couple of other GA aircraft and choppers doing patrols. All in all, a good couple of days, its the next step .

I believe im up to 35 hours, with 5 solo now. Very close to the Pilot Cert, couple of weeks i would say.

Fingers crossed.

Some of you might know, i have a radio scanner stream live from Bathurst, it streams CTAF in Bx, also the 135.25, plus local cops and other services.

goto www.bathurstscan.com and sign up . I will be streaming bathurst car races live too (radio comms), race control, V8 teams and so on.

Enjoy

Dave

• 3 weeks later...

still flying

Gooday Dave

Good to catch up with you, been flat out not flying, (that sucks)

nice to see you close to finishing your cert. then x countrys thats more fun least you get to go some where. We have a open day in Cowra on the 24th if you can come bring Bianca.

Hope to catch up soon 024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif

Mick

Advanced Stalls etc

hey all,

This learning process sure is a buzz, just when i thought it was safe to get in a plane, we do advanced stalls and turns. What fun.. haha. Yesterday was a near perfect day for flying , cloud aroud 6000 ft, which was alright for us.

Those turns in a Jab 160 are pretty good, amazing what it can do when you have a good pilot like Chris. Funny day.

Mick, thanks for the invite, Bianca said she met you the other day.. sounds like your busy flying all over the place. Probably wont be able to make it that day, i will finish night shift that morning 6am. Probably wouldnt be able to fly . haha. Dont know if i would have my cert then, little out of the way on Pilot Cert anyway. Bianca also away with a course.

We will have another chance to get away soon enough. Exam isnt far away, due to fly again on Friday, then its flight review next week, exam to follow soon after. getting closer.

41 hours up , 7 hours solo.

Chat soon

Dave

Flight Review for Pilot Cert

Well that day is nearly here..

Over last 3 days have done about 4 hours flying, 3 of that solo to get my 10 hours needed for Pax endorsment. Flown alot into training area, practicing all the things ive learnt over the last 5 months.

My Pilot Cert test is this coming Monday, also Pax endorsement in same day. 006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif

Yesterday was the was Flight review prior to the test with instructor, was a great day. We did alot of things intended for test, rate 1 turns, Rate 2 . Prec search and landings, emerg landings, 500 ft circuits at airport.. you name it. Nailed the radio calls for once, without getting order back the front. keen.gif.9802fd8e381488e125cd8e26767cabb8.gif

I feel i am ready for the test , plenty of flying hours close together to consolidate my learning process, think i am lucky i have been able to fly twice a week, sometimes more, pending weather.

Ive hit 44 hours, 10 hours solo in only 5 months, not bad going..

Warmer weather its upon us and certainly more bumpy than other days, landing been tricky , especially on final when i end up losing some height out of the blue. I can only imagine what it will be like when its even hotter.

Booked in for 1 hour solo Sunday for last final brush up prior to test.. hope rain stays away.

Will update more Monday..

Cheers for now

Dave

• 2 weeks later...

Flight Test

Well my flight review went sort of alright, a couple of small things needed review, otherwise all good. Wish i had rememered about the Theory exams, BAK and AIR LAW, so in progress of doing reading for the exams in next week or so.

I will be doing the AIR LAW tomorrow then BAK maybe next week, when i feel ready.

I am having a fly tomorrow if weather permits, fingers crossed.

Thanks all, had a solo circuit fly today which was quite enjoyable, no one in air with me either, had aerodrome to myself. ! I will fly again on Friday if weather stays away. Studying for the BAK , should be ready for test next week.

• 1 month later...

Update 22 Dec

Well , after obtaining my Pilot Cert, PAX etc on Nov 19th, have taken a few people up on some local flights in my area of Bathurst. Everyone has loved the experience of being in a small plane seeing the world from a different view.

I have done approx 5 hours in the J230 so far, next flight will be solo i hope so then i can take this on my own and then eventually pax. Suprising the difference in the 160 after flying the 230.

I took a friend for a flight today, one of the best days ive flown in , especially since we have had major rains and high winds for some time now.

Ive now clocked up 57 hours, enjoying every minute of it. Our flying club has organised a Nav Course in Jan 2011, which i have booked into. My Navs will start next year, really looking forward to that.

Bring on the next chapter.

Dave

• 4 weeks later...

Update 18 Jan 2011

Plenty of flying has been done since last update.. mainly using J160 with Pax around Bathurst/ Oberon/Blayney areas, keeping that 25 nm limit in mind.

Some of the days have been brilliant, with some interesting traffic and plenty of it during my flights, passengers enjoyed it immensley also. The more traffic at the moment the better, its good practice for radio calls, separation, joining circuits, looking out . Really is good to be able to do this all completely on my own. I do learn something different each day. I try and join circuit different each flight for practice, also using x wind landings as well, if not too strong on the day.

Handy having a X strip at Bathurst when needed.

I have now clocked up 62 hours (22 of those PIC) , starting my Nav Course on 1st Feb, Central West Flying holding a 3 day course which will be very interesting.

I do love flying the J160, little easier to control speed compared the J230 beast.. I am sure the 230 will become just as easy the more i fly it.

Until next time, will advise how Nav course was.

cheers

Dave

p.s. forgot to mention, shouted myself to a Lightspeed Zulu Headset, now let me say, UNREAL. The engine noise is rather quieter now, the comfort level is HIGH. If you ever wonder what these are like, take it from me. Fantastic. !

• 9 months later...

Been way too long since updating this thread. I have done all my required Navs, approx 14 hours, but with a few things getting in my way, havent done my theory or flight exam as yet. I still have been flying each week, clocked up 140 hr now. I plan to get this Nav done next week, then will be free as one can be.

Navs sure are fun, i was so happy to do a 3 hr SOLO nav in August from YBTH -YORG, - Narromine and Dubbo, return to Wellington and Bathurst.

IN all my flying, you do learn something each and every day, including some very high traffic days at Bathurst, such an experience fitting in with everyone , i find stay professional and make your necessary calls, its easier than one first thought.

Living the dream of flying!

Dave