Today Tonight court case

Guest ozzie

I do belive that farmers get some sort of rebate for diesel for off road use, maybe Tomo or another farmer can confirm that and if it extends to petrol and lpg.

There is a tiny rebate if you use it for farm use only, but I do believe that is only applicable for diesel. (not real sure anymore)

What annoys a lot though, is all this tax... and no farmer ever gets to see the benefits. It is all invested in the cities.

• 2 months later...
Hi ozzie, i watched it.$300 000 to try and prevent the evidence being aired, is alot of tax payers money.I think that the %%%% is going to his the fan over this.I know what a/c maintence is like over seas.I mean the time i spent for BAE in Saudi Arabia."if you pay peanuts, you get monkeys". The staple being used to bridge a gap in a electrical ribbon, what a joke.450 defects, in a jet just out of a major service, i dont want to even go there.I think CASA is/will be in damage control (and qantas), over this what was aired tonight.If they have nothing to hide, why spend $300 000 AND THREE YEARS Fighting channel 7 over the release of documents.Watch this space

Latest news, is that Australian Licensed Aircraft Engineers Association (ALAEA), has finaly won there case against CASA after 3 years.They will now have access to Safety-related audit files on CASA-approved foreign Organisations.Has to be a good thing i reckon.We cant have airliners flying around with (alledged) staples, being used to bridge gaps in electrical Ribbons, etc.keen.gif.9802fd8e381488e125cd8e26767cabb8.gif

I wonder what the final $ figure cost is on this. Anyone know how many court cases casa (they don't deserve big letters) has lost compared to how many they have won? I suppose this is what happens when a retired 'bus driver' run the show.

redress to Court action.

"ordinary" people are taken to court and whether they are guilty or not, the "WE have deeper pockets than YOU" situation, is what affects the final outcome. I know of at least one instance where the pilot won and was met immediately with another charge around the same incident.. I have NO faith in this system. I have acted as advocate for many pilots over the years and saved quite a few pilot's their jobs. The system works this way. WE (CASA) say you are guilty. Your job is to prove your innocence. and we have all the big guns.

Ozzie, I don't think we can blame the current bloke for this ( but maybe we can blame him (Correctly) for other matters. Also when you call Heavy metal pilots "bus drivers", you belittle them and their job and descend to the level of people like RJ Hawke. Nev

I belive i can blame the current guy. he could have put the brakes on at any time. every one knew what the outcome would be.

Talking about belittle. Yeah you are right but what do you expect from one who has risen from the 'weeds'. at least i don't own 90% of my hours to an autopilot.

If i remember the stir that ol mate Hawke caused it was over the remark about teaching any mug to fly in a week. referrring about how long it would take to replace a striking pilot i think. i could not really see what the fuss was all about. you can knock over a PPL in 40 hrs and put in a bit of over time and pick up a cpl in another ten. be a little harder these days, add another week for the human factors exam!

be a consultant!

----------------------------------------------------------

Project Management

----------------------------------------------------------

Once upon a time, the Civil Aviation Authority and the Canberra Rowing

Club decided to engage in an annual boat race on Lake Burley Griffin.

Both teams trained long and hard to reach their peak performance. On the

big day, the Rowing Club won by a kilometer.

The Authority team was rather discouraged by their loss, and morale

sagged. Senior management decided that the reason for the crushing defeat

must be found, and so a project team was set up to investigate the problem

and take appropriate action.

It was found that, while the Rowing Club had eight people rowing and one

person steering, the Authority had one person rowing and eight steering.

Senior management accordingly hired consultants to study the Authority's

team structure.

For half a million dollars the consultants advised that the team needed to

be better coordinated so that more effort went into rowing.

The new Authority team consisted of four steering managers, three senior

steering managers and one rower. A performance appraisal system was set up

to give the rower more incentive, and he was sent to courses run by the

consultants so that he would feel empowered and enriched.

The next year the Rowing Club won by two kilometers.

The Authority sacked the rower for poor performance, sold off the oars and

halted development of a new boat.

The money they saved was used as performance bonuses for senior management

• 4 weeks later...

On the other hand.......there is another side to the regulator.

I've only ever twice been queriedby CASA, (actually, it's predecessor x2), in regards to some foolhardy operations. Now, I'm more than grateful, that the FOI's involved, saw fit to do this - rather than pass the matter on to CASA 'compliance & enforcement' section. Otherwise, I'd have been served a notice to the effect of show cause why we should not cancel your licence. With the current system of strict liability in place - I'd have lost expensively in court, and been grounded for good.

Instead, in case 1, I was invited to the local CASA office, where I was asked to explain why I'd done what I'd quite clearly been reported as doing. It was a good old fashioned roasting by not 1, but 2, senior FOI's. In case 2, a good robust discussion with my local FOI saw him decide to not proceed further. In both cases, under the current system of strict liability - it would have been the end of my career - as the ordinary person just doesn't have the wherwithall to fight CASA.

So, it often comes down to the people involved. If they have a character of fairness and exercise common sense - then the process is very educational and the pilot learns a lesson. If the CASA officer has a nasty streak - then you are in deep trouble because the system is weighted against the defendant.

But, with the lawyers in control in Canberra, expect CASA to fight to the last budget dollar over anything regarding disclosure,

happy days,

On the other hand.......there is another side to the regulator.I've only ever twice been queriedby CASA, (actually, it's predecessor x2), in regards to some foolhardy operations. Now, I'm more than grateful, that the FOI's involved, saw fit to do this - rather than pass the matter on to CASA 'compliance & enforcement' section. Otherwise, I'd have been served a notice to the effect of show cause why we should not cancel your licence. With the current system of strict liability in place - I'd have lost expensively in court, and been grounded for good.

Instead, in case 1, I was invited to the local CASA office, where I was asked to explain why I'd done what I'd quite clearly been reported as doing. It was a good old fashioned roasting by not 1, but 2, senior FOI's. In case 2, a good robust discussion with my local FOI saw him decide to not proceed further. In both cases, under the current system of strict liability - it would have been the end of my career - as the ordinary person just doesn't have the wherwithall to fight CASA.

So, it often comes down to the people involved. If they have a character of fairness and exercise common sense - then the process is very educational and the pilot learns a lesson. If the CASA officer has a nasty streak - then you are in deep trouble because the system is weighted against the defendant.

But, with the lawyers in control in Canberra, expect CASA to fight to the last budget dollar over anything regarding disclosure,

happy days,

I agree, in your case.Also the troubles ATM, with engines with qantas.IMO are not a problem.Rolls Royce might have some soul searching to do. These things happen.Jet engines are reliable, most of the time.The media ATM are having a field day.They dont know or dont care that these airliners can fly with two out the four engines, whether a A380 or 747.They like to film passengers that dont know anything about a/c.They like to get the head lines.Anyway back to the subject.There are im sure good people at casa, at the coal face, i have met a few (about maintence, not about flying).But its the head sheds at canberra/r brisbane that give the trouble.