Flying in the UK

Bryon

I may be heading off to the UK for 4 or 5 weeks and wondered if anybody knew whether the RAA Pilots Cert is valid in UK and what I would need to do to be able to fly there

Cheers

Bryon

PS I have had a look at the CAA site and cannot find anything

Guest Crezzi

The RAAus PC isn't valid in the UK - to fly solo you would need an NPPL(Microlight).

Your training & experience would be recognised so, if you wanted to get one of these, it wouldn't mean starting from scratch. You'd probably have to sit the UK Air law exam, sort out a medical, and do a check flight. Also microlight rental isn't as common there as it is here.

For a months trip, it would probably be best just to find a local school and do some dual flying with a instructor. What part of the Uk are heading to ?

Cheers

John

Crezzi,

we are heading to Somerset (uuuuuuuuummmmmmm scrumpy), Dorset, Devon and Cornwall for a couple of weeks and then maybe off to Paris for the missus to go shopping and a tour through the champagne region and along the battlefields of the Western Front

Crezzi,we are heading to Somerset (uuuuuuuuummmmmmm scrumpy), Dorset, Devon and Cornwall for a couple of weeks and then maybe off to Paris for the missus to go shopping and a tour through the champagne region and along the battlefields of the Western Front

I'm envious,

Battlefields of the Western Front are on my 'Bucket list'006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif

I know you will have fun.

Pud

Guest Crezzi
Crezzi,we are heading to Somerset (uuuuuuuuummmmmmm scrumpy), Dorset, Devon and Cornwall for a couple of weeks and then maybe off to Paris for the missus to go shopping and a tour through the champagne region and along the battlefields of the Western Front

Sounds good - its a beautiful part of the country & it would be a shame not to see it from the air. See http://www.bmaa.org/pwpcontrol.php?findusingparamregion=gb_south_west for details of local schools

Cheers

John

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

re flying in the U.K.

Another very friendly airfield to visit is Weston Zoyland, only 4 miles east of Bridgewater.

This is an old WW11 airfield like Dunkerswell and a friendly lot of aviators, you may find one or two would take you for a trip round.

Cheers.

Roly Tecnam P92

What sort of flying are you looking for ?

Just a bash around with an instructor. Fly out of a new airfield, experience flying in the UK....just fun really. Something where I get to have control, so not just a joyflight, but a lesson :)

Guest Crezzi

Closest microlight (UK equivalent to RAAus) school would be Damyns Hall which is near Upminster. If its GA you want then I suspect Stapleford would probably be closest

Guest David C
Just a bash around with an instructor. Fly out of a new airfield, experience flying in the UK....just fun really. Something where I get to have control, so not just a joyflight, but a lesson :)

Perhaps Redhill to the South of London may be an option

Redhill Aerodrome, Surrey, UK - Aerodrome Information

or maybe Elstree to the North

Elstree Airfield @ OurAirports

They are both good friendly GA airfields , where as Biggin Hill may be more business orientated .

Just a thought

Dave C

Now we're talking about near London, I've just gotta plug my own place

Saxon Microlights - microlight flying lessons for Essex and London

We fly Thruster.

North Weald was a military airfield between 1916 and the 1970s. It played an important role during second world war, most notably during the Battle of Britain and

Nowadays the airfield hosts several flying groups operating everything from microlights, through ordinary cessnas, to piston and jet warbirds via helicopters and bizjets - all with nothing more controlling than an air/ground radio service (and a dose of common sense).Also, as mentioned in my post somewhere above, the BMAA have a list of clubs and schools on their web site [here]

Joan

• 1 month later...

MadamBreakneck, Wow, with a little imagination ?????? 006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif , :hittinghead:

Seriously Though,checked out your link to (Saxon Microlights) and in it the warning , ' Microlight flying is a weather-dependant activity,so', then a link to the latest BBC weather forcast.

Having run my own flying school, I thought I`d let you know what a good idea.

Cheers,

Frank

Ps, Microlights or Trikes as we call them,are very popular here in the Cairns area of North Queensland Australia.

Bad weather.

Hi,dear madam joan,as much as we all need rain, it`s a bother when it stops us from flying,would like to have a fly today,however,the rain won`t stop.051_crying.gif.fe5d15edcc60afab3cc76b2638e7acf3.gif

Did you send it over here?

Cheers,

Frank.002_wave.gif.62d5c7a07e46b2ae47f4cd2e61a0c301.gif

Crezzi,we are heading to Somerset (uuuuuuuuummmmmmm scrumpy), .......

Gee, haven't heard of that for a long time. When I was a sprog in the RAF, a few of us wanted a party so, being almost pennyless, we pooled our money, bought 8 pints of Scrumpy and a bottle of cheap gin. Mixed it all in a large container and got blotto. The 'ladies' who had been invited didn't stay on the feet for very long 011_clap.gif.c796ec930025ef6b94efb6b089d30b16.gif 011_clap.gif.8adfe837b4189ee6622bf4917d6a88c0.gif Had a ball of a time, so I'm told.006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif

PS for the un-educated, scrumpy is a highly volatile form of cider, sometimes referred to a rough cider. Only problem with it is the hangover 049_sad.gif.af5e5c0993af131d9c5bfe880fbbc2a0.gif