Do you own an Apple device?...Warning

Admin

I always thought that if you bought something you owned it...seems Apple doesn't doesn't think so...they want to take your money and still think they own your phone, iPad etc to shut it down if you do something to it that they don't like:

Apple 'traitorware' can take your photo and shut down your jailbroken iPhone, iPad | Herald Sun

After reading all the supposed abilities of "traitorware", i call BS.

and record the heartbeat and “vibration signature” of the user.

Really? if this is possible, im sure medical science would jump on this, and the benefits to those with know heart conditions, amazing

According to the patent application, if these identifiers do not match the "authorised" user, the system then determines if there is "suspicious behaviour".

so if i lend my phone to my partner/child/mate, then it locks my phone? hmmmm dont think so.

and i like to know how this software will work, when jailbreaking will remove said software.. yes, i have iphones, and yes, there always been jailbroken.

006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif

Sounds like a scaring device to go against them...

But, it isn't to far wrong, just ask your local copper next time, you can track people with a mobile phone - quite easily. Now phones have data linked, makes life even easier.

Monitoring heart beats and whatever sound interesting, maybe they're on a new type of pace maker...??

Guest davidh10

I think you will find that the characteristics being described are loosely (by the press) being ascribed from a series of patents that Apple has just taken out. The patents are centered around features and methods that it could use to determine if the phone was being used by someone other than the owner or that you are doing something that is against the Apple EULA... like jailbreaking it ;)

You are right Ian. You may own the hardware, but not a licence to do as you like with it:crying: One of the reasons I won't buy Apple. iTunes is another reason.

I always thought that if you bought something you owned it...seems Apple doesn't doesn't think so...they want to take your money and still think they own your phone, iPad etc to shut it down if you do something to it that they don't like

This technique is quite common with monopolistic monoliths like governments and large corporations. If I pay good money for my new passport, it is not really "my" passport at all. It always remains the property of the Commonwealth of Australia!

Similarly, my NSW drivers licence: I just paid quite a bit for a new 5 year licence but it remains the property of the state government nonetheless.

A third example is diskware such as CDs, software and DVDs. In each case it is only a licence to listen, use or view.

The reality is that many things you thought you owned are really not yours at all.

Apple has now taken this one step further with hardware such as telephones. i_dunno

Things have changed in the past month. Apple have had their licencing wings clipped a little by a small courtcase.

On Call: Go ahead and jailbreak, it's legal now | Dialed In - CNET Blogs

I couldn't find the actual ruling (in the U S of arrogance) but it also impossed a limitation on the concept of software licencing and the expectation of ownership of the product.

Love my jailbroken iPod touch.. I can actually watch videos and read the email attachments. :)