Halls Gap - Victoria

Mathew Ker

I'm planning a trip from Temora to Halls Gap via Wagga Wagga for the last week of October. Can someone please advise me of the closest airstrip to Halls Gap. An alternative would be to fly into Horsham and we have a ground crew travelling to Halls Gap from Adelaide by bus, so they could pick myself and pax up.

If the trip comes together, I would be flying a Tecnam Sierra. Still a low hours pilot so would prefer 500-600m strip at minimum (no sense getting my abilities mixed up with my ambitions!).

Cheers, Mathew

Hi Mathew,

your closest big airfeild would be Stawell, it has 2 runways 18-36 at 854 meters and 11-29 at1403 meters it is not far from Stawell township, you will need WAC chart Hamilton (3469)

Hope this helps

Brian

There's also the Grampians Airfield YGMP, approx 13nm north west of Halls Gap (142.27E, 37.05S).

1200m grass strip, 06/24. PPR (03) 5383 9215.

According to the guide, they have accommodation available.

Not been there myself, so don't know condition etc.

asses ears.

Matthew, I think the place to which you may be referring is Asses Ears. Google it up and you will get plenty of information. I have flown in. Quite adequate grass strip (takes Barons) and the accommodation is good. Not good road access to Halls Gap. Can be done but probably further than Ararat. Nev

• 2 weeks later...
Guest rocketdriver

I've flown into there ... a while ago now, but the GCV usually has a winter wave camp there ..... the accomodation is the motel at Dadswells Bridge, right next door to the strip

rocket,

Dadswells Bridge is further north than YGMP. YGMP is Asses Ears which has a website at Welcome.... per my earlier link which wasn't so obvious so a repeat here.

I often take the road over the top to Halls Gap - that's where the foreigh tourists ran off the road quite dramatically a month or so ago. A pleasant drive but slow going.