Instruments options in Savannah aircraft

eightyknots

I am wondering about the instruments used in Savannah planes. It appears that the kit has this well and truly prescribed, unlike other planes that I am comparing this with which allows a lot of lattitude for personalising. For instance the icp website says that standard instruments are:

Anemometer D. 3 1/8” with coloured arcs

Altimeter D. 3 1/8” with setting window

Variometer D. 3 1/8”

Compass

Sljp and skid indicator

Tachometer

Fuel pressure

Oil pressure

Oil temperature

Hourmeter

Voltmeter

External temperature indicator + airbox (for Rotax 912 ULS only)

Water temperature in front left engine head

Water temperature in back right engine head

Could someone tell me whether the instrument panel allows for any additional instrument options (pictures seem to suggest that the standard instruments are pretty widely spaced).

Alternatively, has anyone set up an instrument panel quite different from the standard icp configuration?

Hi 80K

Pic attached of a pretty standard Sav panel I think its pretty crowded. Mine will be a bit different. I am going to use a Brauniger Alpha MFD panel Bräuniger Flugelectronic (Products :: AlphaMFD :: Operation)

it has everything in it and updates extremely fast. Some of the more expensive have a lag in their display. The only other gear I will have is a ball, fuel pressure and manifold pressure...a gps of course and a manual compass. This will save around 4 or 5kg in weight at least with wiring and instruments

Mark

IMG_0452_1.thumb.jpg.3ebeaf79449d4d3af0388291e3973bc9.jpg

Hi CFICare

Well I am certainly no expert on the matters but in all the talking I have done to many more knowledgeable people than me who have flown these aircraft and have a lot of time under their belts all say they wish they had a manifold pressure indication as it will tell you the power output of the engine under all circumstances. This is a small but innocuous gauge to install but I think it would be a good reference to have in the cockpit for this function. The fuel pressure I will have a backup electric pump installed as well again I think its also something that will just be glanced at regularly just to make sure all is well especially during takeoff.

Mark

Are there any Savannahs with 'glass panel' instruments? If so:

* are they worth it?

* are they better?

* are they lighter?

Any other thoughts on Savannah instruments in addition to the standard set supplied by the manufacturer?

Guest Walter Buschor

Hi Eightyknots,

I have seen pictures of Savvy's with digital displays. Don't know if it's worth it. With money no object it could look like an F18 but it won't fly any better - or faster. Guess it's more a case of putting in what appeals to the individual. Space is there for anything and the new digital displays will not weigh more than the old steam gauges. There is a trend to fit manifold pressure gauges and this does seem a good idea as was mentioned before. As for the rest I don't know if even a AH is needed since we do not fly in cloud or at night and our eyes should be outside anyway.

I've also seen the latest Savvy XL with a new RPM gauge that has the hour meter built into it. I don't like it as much as the version with the meter as a seperate gauge.

For spare cash I would probably invest in a transponder.

Fly safe

Walter

An AH is not needed and I think from memory the required instruments are:-

Compass

Air speed indicator,

Tacho,

Oil Pressure for 4 strokers,

Altimeter,

Water temp for water cooled engines,

Just to put icing on the cake a slip ball would be good and neither large nor expensive.

The Brauniger Alpha MFD I have got does

Airspeed

Altitude

Vertical Speed

RPM

Fuel highly accurate I am told done by entering the amount of fuel you put into tanks and it lets you know how much you have by computing what is left by using its fuel flow sensor

2 x CHT

2 x EGT

Oil pressure

Oil Temp and or water temp

Time (real time plus date) (Engine hour meter that can not be changed by user) ( Flight time or engine running time per flight)

Battery monitoring

Backup internal battery in case of power failure while flying for up to 1 hr

The unit only draws 35ma total

High Voltage protection for ALPHAMFD

To avoid damages by high voltage causing by defective voltage regulators the Alpha-

MFD has since 2002 an integrated voltage protection circuit. In case of a defect voltage regulator the external fuse will fail and the ALPHAMFD is supplied by the 9 volt back-up battery – battery display is blinking now. After repair, please replace the defect fuse ( 150 … 200 mA )

Mine is the C version which measures from 24 to 130 knots

Another reason I bought this unit is it connects to your intercom and all parameters it measures you can input a max and min value and when it reaches this value it will sound a alarm in your headset then also that unit of measurement will flash on your display so you know exactly what maybe going wrong before its too late and you should get no surprises you also must input the VNE in for the aircraft and the stall speed you wish to have as your minimum

Mark

254245460_AlphaMFD027_2.thumb.jpg.ae0c7d85bfc3f4ae720e7d7afac9ddce.jpg

Alpha-MFD-back-2.thumb.jpg.01d0f344e78b6d1dee1798fcfac1a62d.jpg

80Kts

Not that I know of.... Brauniger treat the Alpha a bit different to their other gear they make. They make heaps of stuff for chute and microlight guys. The Alpha they seem to treat as more along the line for larger ultra lights etc

Mark

By the way, could anyone explain what the Anemometer D. 3 1/8” with coloured arcs -as supplied by ICP- is used for in this plane?

Air speed indicator. ICP supplies coloured stickers for you to stick on to the indicator to show flap operating range (white) safe maneuvering speed (green) red marker for never exceed.

The supplied instruments are fine.

Mark D

demo16a.thumb.jpg.b9c5b1e8d4560db67039a3a7332e2943.jpg