Glider - UK

Spin

Friend sent these via e-mail, apparently taken at an airshow in the UK. That's got to hurt!

I didn't get a coherent account of what happened, but reading between the lines he cut it a bit fine turning onto final and suffered the beginnings of a stall/spin scenario. Pilot got out of the wreck under his own steam and wasn't seriously hurt. Must say I'm amazed, I would have expected back injuries at the very least.

glider.jpg.dd706ddd2c88f733922f61eb7d331269.jpg

1440834628_Glider1.thumb.jpg.be2b92fb6f92ab19b4ec979d209c7ba9.jpg

803075633_glider2.thumb.jpg.7f78eb08e22948716c594e251e16a53c.jpg

2131725606_glider3.thumb.jpg.39ffa1cf26c1f42c9a59b59b4049a6e4.jpg

1395622977_glider8.jpg.e1b67cb111344b1e3f89661811850a22.jpg

2107264575_glider9.jpg.8d5dd5ba9bbf4ac04ef2b2527e79206d.jpg

Spin, that seriously is amazing he got out alive, looks such a bone breaking experience!!

2nd pic is interesting, as it shows full back (up) elevator, and he's also got the brakes out a bit, and check out the angle of arrival, near vertical! Doesn't seem to be any aileron input to wings level.

Must of been a last minute.... oh.... the grouuuuuuund!!!

David; that makes you sick, that would have hurt... a lot.

Hi David, hard to say, but i dont think the engine had anything to do with it.Even with full power, i think it still would have ended up in tears.It looks like a low powered J3 cub or similar, and she bled off to much airspeed in the pitch up manouver before the left hand turn, it looked slow. Its not like she was flying a A/c with more than 1 to 1 power to weight ratio.Where she could throttle up and power away.Could be wrong though.

If wrong, i hope its entertaining LOL

Found this video clip

Also I understand from another forum that the pilot did suffer back injuries, but is expected to make a full recovery. Pretty much the old story of running out of airspeed and ideas simultaneously, he was certainly low when he disconnected from the tug and it looks to have been turbulent down there.

Found this video clip

I can't actually believe he just did that! What on earth was he thinking to rudder it around like that?

I don't like being too critical to others, but that was pretty bad if you ask me.

He released at sufficient height in my opinion, but got a bit close and low on late downwind, banked up, but didn't want to wingtip the ground (leveled off slightly), so hit the left rudder to bring him around - with the obvious consequences.

Quite a good video I suppose showing the dangers of ruddering a turn.

Dazza your analysis was spot on, she lost too much speed pulling up. That stall/spin scenario has always fascinated (scared) me, it happens so quick and has caught out even the most skilled.

Saving up money to do my "Emergency Maneuver Training" with Phil Unicomb in a Pitts. I don't want to be bitten by a stall/spin.

I am not morbid, this is just a topic that I am very interested in. See link below, "another one"

I remember watching it on the news.Years ago(over ten) .Very sad.I just dont get this "turning back". I would rather fly straight ahead, even between two trees, along as the spand is wide enough for the fuselage to fit in between. Go between them.Dont worry about ripping the wings off, when they hit the trees. I guess under stress, and people watching, and not wanting to damage a A/c, these turn backs occur.

I am not morbid, this is just a topic that I am very interested in. See link below, "another one"

Ouch, ouch and a little more... that is quite ugly. But I encourage you to all watch it, very good demonstration of ruddering a turn once again.

How about this one... I believe that is an old rare Bellanca.

"That's not flying, that's falling with style!" as Woody or some such said. I still cannot believe the plane didn't just give up and go in on it's back. That said the pilot was trying to stretch a glide or low powered approach, rather than trying to turn, now that would have gotten interesting:loopy:.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ab-tco3s9IU

This is one of the most interesting ones... It is already on this site. Notice the control stick in his hand... It is all over in seconds.

Unfortunately the one on the sight does not show it all the way to the ground. The only copy of the full footage I could now find on Youtube has had comments written over it.

This is a report from the pilot.... Marty Lunsford's Crash