West Sale to Porepunkah and back by trike

alf jessup

Grand final day had Mick and I out at the aerodrome by 6am readying the trikes for our trip to Porepunkah and back.

The trip would consist of Mick (Outback Cruze), Terry (ST3) and myself (SST) departing WSL and heading up the Licola valley past Mt Skene to the open valleys of Mansfield along the King valley to Whitfield then east to Lake Buffalo and over the majestic MT Buffalo and into Porepunkah.

As we waited for Terry to arrive from the Latrobe valley we preflighted the trikes, grabbed our epirbs, punched in the flight plan on our gps's and warmed the beasts.

After Terry's arrival and a quick toilet stop for him we departed Rwy 27 @ 07:30 and tracked NW for Glenmaggie weir staying at 1500 ft due to a low cloud base this side of the ranges.

1/2 way up the Licola valley with the cloud base rising we finally came out into the clear blue skies with Licola ahead and Mt Skene sitting in her splendour 20 nm further on with nothing but a clear blue sky as far as the eye could see a comfortable 69kt GS and a heavily snow covered Mt Buller ahead and off to our right of track.

Licola valley now behind us and well withing gliding range we tracked for the lightly snow covered Mt Skene as this was our next option if the trusty 912's decided to let us down, the Skene option might not be too kind on the undercarrige but would be kind on us.

Mt Skene now behind us we tracked for the safety of the open valleys around Mansfield with us now being in no mans land for no more than about 8 minutes if the one of the ever so reliable 912's decided to call it a day.

Now within gliding range of the open valleys we changed course and headed NE to intersect the King Valley and track for Whitfield as our GS reduced to 50kts.

The view was spectacular once again heading up the King valley with Lake William Hovell below and off to my right and Powers lookout to my left and Lake Buffalo off in the distance to my east.

Approaching Whitfield saw us turning east towards Dandongedale and Lake Buffalo 17nm ahead with plenty of options if we needed them, on approaching Lake Buffalo we ascended to 7500ft to clear Mt Buffalo and give us a little space whilst staying under Alburys control zone.

A 10 nm inbound call out from Porepunkah whilst crossing the grandure landscape of Mt Buffalo a familiar voice was heard on the CTAF of my instructor Steve Ruffels earning a living on this majestic day, crossing the last of Buffalo i reduced power and decended into the Porepunkah valley joining a mid downwind for Rwy 36 and pulled up outside Steves hanger at 09:45 a mere 2:15 flight time.

Terry made a short field landing and tracked straight for the toilets at PPKA (I can't wait to get older) while Mick arrived 5 minutes later gently floating down 36 to pull up outside the hanger completing the first part of the journey.

Greetings made and coffee consumed with Steve busy with flights we lounged around in hanger for an hr or so before sharing the 40 liters of fuel between the 3 trikes that Steve had kindy got for us, it just gives you a warm fuzzy feeling knowing you have more than ample fuel onboard even though we had enough to get back home without refuelling.

We planned to fly back over the snow covered Mt Hotham and down the high plains rd to the Dargo Valley then across to the flat plains of Gippsland but i noticed the clouds starting to build over Mt Hotham so a decision was made to track direct to WSL from Porepunkah a mere 82 mn away.

All saddled up and goodbyes given we departed at 11:15 am from Rwy 36, climbed and turned south for our return trip home, upon reaching our assigned altitude we were greeted with an 80kt groundspeed most of the way with clear blue skies and the beautiful Wonangatta valley flashing past us below with the high plains airstrip fast approaching us ahead and off to out right.

15nm out from Valencia Creek which is the start of the flatlands in Gippsland I wound the trim off and pulled the power back a touch and gently decended knowing full well we would make it if the old girls stopped now I remained at 4500 ft once over the plains until 3mn from WSL using the added free GS and smooth air while Terry and Mick decided to ride the bumps of the thermals lower down for the last 17nm inbound to WSL.

All calls made joining circut for 09 WSL Terry and I landed at 12:30 a mere 1hr and 15 mins after leaving Porepunkah with Mick arriving safely 5 or so minutes later capping off a very successful and thoroughly enjoyable flight between 3 good mates and 3 different winged trikes.

The flight back home took us over some serious tiger country but we were in no mans land for no point longer than 8 minutes, the only downside is that if one of us had to put down the recovery time would be many many hrs as a drive to Wonangatta is 7 to 8 hrs from here but it is a calculated risk we take everytime we fly.

There are a lot more options than you think going over the ranges as this is now the 9th time I have flown to Porepunkah and back going various routes.

I even got back in time to watch the grandfinal for what it was worth but overall we had a great time and a fantastic flight.

Total engine time 3hrs 53mins & fuels used about 38 liters for a 210nm jaunt.

Cheers

Alf

Good work, and a marathon on the keyboard as well. 011_clap.gif.c796ec930025ef6b94efb6b089d30b16.gifRegards Bill

Yeah considering i had it almost finished 2hrs ago and the computer shutdown on its own accord and I had to write it all again.

Can handle the computer shutting down rather it than the engine.

Alf:laugh:

Mark and Dazza 38,

Yeah was an awesome trip with really good weather and favorable winds aloft.

Pretty spectacular scenery the whole way but it keeps you on your toes tracking to your closest options.

Got a bit sunburnt also but was well worth the effort.

Glad you enjoyed it and next time i will take the damn camera for some pics.

Cheers

Alf

What a great flight Alf . Can only imagine the scenery, I have flown out of Porepunkah & up around the mountains & back again on a joyflight & the scenery was great. John

You sure can write well Alf. Great Effort.

Well Doc,

You could have been part of the story if you had decided to get your trike out of the hanger instead of training on the dark side (Jab 230) on that day lol

Alf

It's been 3 years now since I last flew at Mt Beauty & Porepunka.

Really hoping for good conditions 19/20 Nov, to fly there again.

Anyone with a spare seat at Mt Beauty that weekend? (Have flight-suit & helmet & will travel).025_blush.gif.9304aaf8465a2b6ab5171f41c5565775.gif

It's been 3 years now since I last flew at Mt Beauty & Porepunka.Really hoping for good conditions 19/20 Nov, to fly there again.

Anyone with a spare seat at Mt Beauty that weekend? (Have flight-suit & helmet & will travel).025_blush.gif.9304aaf8465a2b6ab5171f41c5565775.gif

Well Glen,

I will be there for the 3 days come hell or high water, whether the weather is good or bad as I havent missed one for 8 years.

If the weather is good I will fly up if it is forecast not so good I will drive up.

Usually spare seats up there.

Cheers

Alf

Well lets hope I can make it a trifecta of tri-annuals at Mt Beauty.

Landed at Mt Beauty during the X-Country loop of the 2004 Wangaratta Trike Gathering.

Flew out of Mt Beauty during the 2007 Gathering of the Moths.

2010 . . . TBA . . . i_dunno

Now that makes mighty interesting reading. Welcome to the dark side my friend. Glad to have you this side of the fence. You know you always wanted to do this yourself !!!!!

Dark side Doc,

Your dreaming as I am nowhere near converting to the dark side from the fruit bat, I am happy at the moment behind the 912 powered Trike.

Maybe oneday but not in the didtant future.

Alf TRIKE!!!!!!!!!!!

• 4 weeks later...

Mt Beauty, Gathering of the Moths - Tomorrow.

For want of its own thread, I'll post here . . .

The Gathering of the Moths at Mt Beauty in the Victorian Alps one hour drive south of Albury starts tomorrow.

I'd thought about which trike to take, whether to fly or drive etc . . .

I've just bought an old single seat trike from another member of the forum here and was initially thinking of taking that . . . but I've decided it needs some work so I've sidelined it until that work gets done.

Flying the XT-912 from Goulburn instead of driving, I would get to Mt Beauty ok via Tumut and Corryong but the weather looks to be starting to turn for the worse on Sunday which would mean having to leave early Sunday morning instead of being able to spend Monday travelling home.

Towing the XT-912. It's an option, but I haven't shown off the 503 Tundra Buzzard with a Wizard-3 wing that I rebuilt last year to my Victorian friends yet and the flights done during the Mt Beauty Moths gathering usually aren't very far and I could probably beg a back seat on any longer flights anyway.

So I'll be towing the Buzzard and taking in the mountain scenery at 35kts.024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif

Cheers,

Glen

And that you did Glen,

The old buzzard looks and sounds a treat even though the powered chutes had a chance of racing you lol.

Was great to catch up with you again even though I was lying down under my wing dozing for half the time i was there on saturday.

Had great flight over in the morning up over the Dargo valley and a more interesting one on the way home following the return track.

That mountain wave certainly wakes you up when you all of a sudden you get a nose up attitude then a 1000fpm free ride from a previous straight and level dozy flight.

Then the cu's ahead and above us gave us a not so comfortable ride while passing 2000 foot below them.

All in all it was a good turn out, plenty of 3 axis GA and ultralights flew in and 5 trikes to boot.

Great weather also compared to the last 2 years.

Only reason I did not stay was the wife went to a wedding Sat night and the teenage son was home on his own.

Catch you next time Glen.

Alf

Mt Beauty

Hi Alf,

It was a lot of driving, but worth every minute of it, with the fantastic weather that was had this year.

I did at one point give one of the PPC's a snail race doing 29kts at one point but he wasn't interested and turned away. There was plenty of separation.

Cheers,

Glen

1609027571_MtBeauty2010.thumb.jpg.18ed45a4cab4793383331bd64c4a20a7.jpg