Yak 50 Engine failure and forced landing video.

Yes, well the sudden stop was caused by him decapitating the mains when he hit the little English rock hedge, the remaining stubs acted like huge anchors. Damn those hard fences.He seemed pretty hot on late final. No flap? Do Yaks have flap? I thought they did, if they did he didn't use them.

Easy to comment from the comfort of a birds eye video view. Good quality video.

As they say, any landing you can walk away from is a good landing!

David

Hi David, the Yak 50, does not have flaps.(But the Yak 52 does).Its a reshame, he nearly made it over the wall.I dont know the stall speed.

Ps- just Googled the stall speed-Apparently it is 54 knots.

Gotta love the fact he didn't try and stretch the glide though, he saw the hedge and just grin and bared it... certainly payed off in the fact he climbed out ok.

Not to appear to 'kick him while down', but I saw a lot of things that made me wonder a bit;

•Flying at around 2500 feet he loses oil pressure, but according to the time frame doesn't land for nearly another eight minutes?

•At one stage he actually climbs?

•He starts off near a small town with reasonable fields around it, but heads off around a range of hills?

•Although the captions mention an oil film on the windscreen (not really noticed), he then degrades his glide performance by opening his canopy?

•The helmet cam appeared to be well orientated to where ever he looked, as such, he spent a lot of time in the last minute looking at a large field which he then glided over the full length of before hitting the wall into the next (and smaller) field?

True enough, he walked away from it, and you usually only get one go at these things.

But the engine was probably totally destroyed before he got to the ground, he wrecked the aircraft on landing, he then casually climbed out and walked away leaving all the electrics on.

Sorry, but I don't always credit survivors as hero's, just lucky.

Arthur.

(Puts on fireproof suit) :Annie:

Yea im with Pylon, an exellent video, of a pretty ordinary forced landing. Easy for us to say from our comfy armchairs, but the footage speaks for itself. You couldn't ask for better country to have to put down in, may have been a case of spoiled by choice.