help with Drifter 582 sb performance

drifter11

I am new to the forum and am looking for info on the Aussie Drifter 582sb...I have purchased one and don't know enough about the true performance to know if I should do a full on restoration or just enjoy it as is...I have owned several Cubs the last one being a J5A with a c90 and have been told that the Drifter sb has close to the same characteristics as the J5...any thoughts... stol is important as I fly out of a 700 ft strip..I'm several months from getting the Drifter in the air so I will be asking many questions...hope I don't drive youall crazy but any help will be appreciated, thanks

Steve

Hey Steve, and welcome along, great to have you.

Ask away - I've got 50odd hours in a WB503, and at least 10hrs now in the SB582.

Performance wise, this thing is the fastest I've flown, cruise about 65kts IAS at 5800rpm.

Landing - well I've never measured it properly, (can do in the next day or so if you like, and get some proper figures). 700ft, that's just over 200 meters isn't it.

Depending on the approach and climb out areas, to how you could do it I would think. The other day I pulled up in about 80mts, that's from touch down. Add another 50 or so on for flare and float (exaggerating most likely)

Now that was one up, (and I'm light), about 2/3rds total fuel (belly, and rear tank), plus two 5ltr bottles of 2 stroke oil on the back seat. Nil wind, level gravel surface.

I took off the next day, same config, I would be guessing about a 80mtr ground to wheels off, then wait for speed build up for a 50-55kt climb out.

I will go and measure it properly when I can and let you know, each machine is different though, and this one is particularly skitish and will get up and go pretty quick. 4 blade prop.

Measured off 100, 200, 300 meter marks this afternoon. Fueled up to 2/3rds full (60 odd liters.)

Myself 57kg, and 10kg of ballast up front, and pretty much nil wind on the strip.

I could get it off the ground in about 100 mt, but 150 is much more comfortable for a stop start.

Landing is a good 200mt for a safe outcome, 300mt is more comfortable.

These were just rough guesstimations, and definitely don't take it for solid advice, as it is just my observations. Temp was about 18 deg C, 1100ft amsl.

• 6 months later...

finally finished the 582 drifter SB rebuild and what fun it is to fly...have about 2 hours on it ...no issues as it preforms really well....the only issue is the wacky tail shutter that I get around 50 mph...not dangerous but enough of a worry that I will want to do some modifications to the tail section to stiffen it up....has any other drifter drivers had a similar issue and if so what are your safety thoughts and are there any mods that you know of...thanks for any comments or thoughts....Steve

• 3 months later...

I have about 45 hours on the Drifter...the 582 has really impressed me with its power...so far no problems with the Rotax and the flying has been just about the most fun Ive had flying...the tail shutter turned out to be a stall warning [stalls are so mild that the warning is not important]...for anyone that is thinking of the Aussie Drifter SB to purchase I say 100% yes...the weight of the SB has in no way caused any issues for me in fact the extra weight has allowed the plane to fly in some wicked winds that a lighter aircraft would not be able to handle...this is just a great overall fun aircraft.....

• Like 2

Measured off 100, 200, 300 meter marks this afternoon. Fueled up to 2/3rds full (60 odd liters.)

Myself 57kg, and 10kg of ballast up front, and pretty much nil wind on the strip.

I could get it off the ground in about 100 mt, but 150 is much more comfortable for a stop start.

Landing is a good 200mt for a safe outcome, 300mt is more comfortable.

These were just rough guesstimations, and definitely don't take it for solid advice, as it is just my observations. Temp was about 18 deg C, 1100ft amsl.

Tomo:wave:

=============================================================

Hi Tomo what is the empty weight of your SB Drifter.

cheers Geoff..

Hello Steve. The vibe in the tail can be aggravated if you have any sort of windscreen extension fitted, at least on the WBs. I fitted an extension a while back which everyone in the syndicate liked but the flutter in the horizontal stab really increased.

cheers John

Hi John how much higher than standard is your screen, l cut a new screen for mine it is 800mm from top to bottom,

l have no flutter but my mate copied mine and he has a lot of flutter is there any other things that can cause flutter.

cheers Geoff.

It was about 300mm high and wide, semicircular, Geoff. As soon as we removed it the flutter reduced to just the normal Drifter woofle. Wayne Fisher makes his extensions narrower than this so I'v cut the sides of ours and will try again. Graeme John here at Tyagarah has vast Drifter experience and said it can take very little to create extra turbulence at the tail. Hope this is of assistance.

cheers John