circuits today

today i did my 2nd session of circuits did bout 8 touch an goes an starting to like it haha, tomorow ill b doin it again, the only thing that scares me are the radio calls which im starting to do slowly haha:confused:

Awesome sam, sounds like your havin fun! Keep up the good work. Funny enough, i wasnt real comfortable with the radio calls either, I've messed up a few before.

Thanks for posting!

Happy Flying!

i fly, and used to teach out of bankstown, dont worry about talking to the controllers, remember they are there to help you, and have heard it all before, and trust me, nothing you say will get you in trouble, a good tip though is practice while in your car, every set of light, practice your calls....

Guest davidh10
... a good tip though is practice while in your car, every set of light, practice your calls....

That's good advice. We've all messed up some calls during our training...

Sam19; don't sweat it. One day I gave a mid-field cross wind join call that was so mixed up, my instructor couldn't correct me... he was laughing so hard. It gave some others around the area a good laugh too. 006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif006_laugh.gif.d4257c62d3c07cda468378b239946970.gif You will soon realise that people laugh with you, not at you :)

You will soon be doing them without too much conscious thought, and getting them right. After all, they are just common sense, but phrased in a standard way.

More circuits for me today too....12 I think. Fun isn't it! And yeah, for a start circuits+radio=brainfade. I'm getting used to radio calls but I still stuff them up sometimes. As soon as I start to relax a bit and get on top of things my FI throws something new at me like engines failures. All good.

Well done Sam, it's all good fun.

Radio calls... I think we all have some story about them. I reckon we gotta stop thinking that it is a ritual (for want of a better word), basically, think what you want them to know about you. Rather than just doing the call because that is where you do it.

I found it a lot easier once I started thinking that, make it a two way conversation, rather than a robotic type call. If you can see what I mean.

Have fun.

Back in the Clouds.....

Brings me back to my first flight (TIF) at Albion Park NSW and I flew straight into a nice fluffy fair weather Cu. The instructor told me we were not allowed to fly in clouds, so I am passing it on to you as well. Good luck ..Nev

I've just had the joys of learning a (very little bit of a) new language for travelling purposes, and it came as a great surprise when people over there actually understood the gibberish I was spouting (can't say I understood much of their replies, but that's not their fault! :) ). The radio was a bit like that for me too. For a while you're trying to remember what you're supposed to be saying, word by word, and then one day you spout a full sentence without really thinking it through and all of a sudden you're away and flying (so to speak :) ).

Guest davidh10
Well done Sam, it's all good fun.Radio calls... I think we all have some story about them. I reckon we gotta stop thinking that it is a ritual (for want of a better word), basically, think what you want them to know about you. Rather than just doing the call because that is where you do it.

I found it a lot easier once I started thinking that, make it a two way conversation, rather than a robotic type call. If you can see what I mean.

Have fun.

Good thought... Just a slightly different take... You are telling others what you would need to hear from them if they were in your position.

RaMpAgE;

Separately, remember the all important start and end of the calls:-

• Start. <Location> traffic (who you are talking to).

• End. Location.

Why do we give location twice? Because it is important and your call may be partially transmitted over by someone else or a passenger may be talking to the pilot (or vice versa) or you may clip the call by not waiting a second after pressing transmit or releasing the transmit button part way through the call. You audio may be distorted. (I hear a few of these).

Relax and deliver the calls in a normal paced steady speech pattern. Thye onjective of for others to hear and understand, not just for you to say it.

I heard a number of calls today that did not disclose location at all. Really thoughtful when you can hear at least half a dozen CTAFs!

hi guys done 2days of circuits again this weekend an starting to throw in the radio calls aswell which im starting to get used to,yeserday was left hand circuits an today right hand an flown a total of 3.2 hours over the weekend

Guest Toally87

i remember the radio calls learning process,

i have a 45 minute straight line boring drive to the airstrip, usually alone for the drive, i fly out to the training area and do circuit in my head, making the calls out load (i even pretend to hit the ptt while i do the calls, including the all important pause between clicking and talking) i even do my checks as i fly in my head. (i have a gazelle checklist in pocket of my door).

just a way to pass the time as i drive, and i goes to a good cause...

Toally