Turning back - do you or don't you.

Guest Maj Millard

That's right Tomo, really helps in getting to know the aircraft, and what it actually can do, or cannot do.

Unlike CASA, who simply feels it's dangerous or unsafe behavour, I think it goes a long way toward improving one's personal piloting skills, and this can only be a good thing in an emergency.............Maj...024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just want to remind everyone to never forget that what the AC and the pilot is capable of, depends on what is occuring at the time.

The performance of the AC and the amount of height lost is directly proportional to the atmospheric conditions,the all up weight of the AC and the performance of the pilot at the time.

Don`t get into the mind set of expecting that the same thing that happened in practise, will happen for ever more,each situation is unique and requires it`s own methodology and the decissions should be made relative to what is occuring at the precise moment.

Frank.

Two other things to take into consideration with the turn back.

You have to turn more than 180 deg, more like 270 deg to get back to the end of the strip.

You will be coming in downwind, this makes the correct approach look a lot flatter, plus you will be covering the ground faster and for those with slow aeroplanes it will be noticeably faster.

You will make more than one turn. If you turn left after TO to turn back from the centerline heading, when you complete the 180 you are off runway centerline so you have to continue the turn to bring you back to the centerline, then turn right to put you on runway heading. Lots of luck!

Millitary wingover should solve all these problems.......(cat amongst the pigeons)

A couple of weekends ago I saw the first half of a wing over done from about 100' in order to land on an intersecting runway during an aborted takeoff. It was very nicely done.

Simplifying the Decision?

This doesn't appear in a training syllabus, but has worked for me when faced with a departure over inhospitable terrain, both in WA and PNG.

At liftoff I slightly turn the aircraft towards to the downwind side of the runway so that I can 'see' runway/strip to one side of the aircraft on climb. If no wind - I keep it on my left. If anything stops - your immediate turn decision is already 'decided'. This avoids quite a lot of the 'teardrop' turn that you would otherwise have to make - and lose height during.

It also works when you are departing under a lowish cloud cover - allowing for a turn back while having your departure runway/strip in sight - usually on the LHS.

I wouldn't recommend it without instruction, or teach it to students. But as part of my low level GA training course - it has been a popular procedure with fully qualified pilots.

happy days,

Guest Maj Millard

Poteroo, yes that works fine. If I am doing a test hop in something after work, or with a known problem, I will turn approx 30 deg off runway heading, as opposed to tracking the centerline. If a return is needed you don't need to turn a full 180 deg to put the runway in front. It sounds a bit strange, but if you do it on paper you'll see there is merit in it. I have used this technique to advantage a couple of times, during test flights. Additionally it gives you a visual pretty much straight away on the runway out one side which helps to orientate should a return be necessary, and allows a safer wider turn back onto strip heading.

I do not use this or recommend this for normal operations, however can be handy on a test flight.........................................................................................Maj...024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif