Residential "Through The Fence" access to airfields

johnprop

In the US it has become popular for aircraft owners to purchase land / homes (hanger homes) adjacent to airports that would allow the homeowner the convenience to walk out of his or her home, jump into their aircraft, taxi to the airstrip and take off. This was referred to as “Through The Fence” (TTF) access, and although the airport had a perimeter fence in most cases there was no fence between the home owner and the airport. At present, there are 75 airports in the continental U.S. where residential through-the-fence access is known to exist.

Are there any such arrangements in Australia and if not should there be and where?

Clive

Guest basscheffers

There are a few residential airparks, but that's not quite what you are referring to.

Before Mike Rann carved up the airfield with the Northern Expressway, there were a few private properties at Gawler that had access. (My wife works at a vet surgery that used the be one; there is a big hangar still on site used as operating theatre for the horses!)

Interestingly, TTF agreements are under a lot of pressure from the TSA and FAA. At the moment it is highly unlikely there will be new agreements and some at more security sensitive (paranoid?) airfields may go away.

It's always a hot topic when discussed on the Uncontrolled Airspace podcast.

Pilots/recreational aircraft owners pay a fee for their TTF arrangements. These people help to keep such local government owned airfields in the USA financially viable. Neither the aviators nor many of the airfield owners are happy with the proposed rule changes that will limit or even prohibit access.

I believe that this is nothing but an over-the-top reaction to security concerns.

I have this set up where I am, and I'm trying to keep it quiet so as not to screw up my half million investment.

The local council is currently upgrading the surrounding security fencing in line with the knee jerk security being imposed by the government.

Geez, life's hard enough just trying to keep regional airports open without the likes of DOTARS and other self interest groups scaremongering us into buying ASIC cards and the like just to keep flying.

Arthur.

I had experience with an unlicenced airfield I looked after and an adjoining owner (retired grazier) who owned 5 planes. Small council was fine with the idea of him building a hangar on his own land and accessing through the fence (3 strand barb wire). Then the State in their wisdom amalgamated us with 3 other Councils and the one who took us over got paranoid about the implications. 1. he had to cross a 20m strip of unused Crown land between his boundary and the fence, 2. "Terrorists" could get airside by getting climbing his 1m arc mesh fence, enter his hangar, un lock it and enter the strip (which they could do much easier anywhere around the perimeter, particularly at the gate which is only a gap in the fence where the road goes in).

So they determined he had to erect a hangar behind his house on the airstrip (and travel around to the main entrance and walk back around to behind his place - no cockies gate in the fence!). 20 page contract of conditions which included 4 pages on alcohol licencing, requirements to connect to water, sewer, power (all about 500m away and not needed), construct sealed taxiways, drainage systems etc. Madness.

Same small Council gave my husband permission to build a hangar on land we had surveyed on the ALA, then large Council reduced the lease and insisted on lots of capital works at our expense and the hangar reverted to their ownership after 20 years. We enquired about a block on the airport boundary but were told they would not approve a shed large enough to put a plane in (we just mentioned the size of shed before bidding at auction). Even buying 2 blocks (about an acre) we could not get permission to build a shed. There being no other land adjoining that was freehold we gave up. Planes are now sitting in the weather.

At another unlicenced airstrip with a co-operative Council a land holder who lives across the road got Council permission to taxi across. The road is a local Council road and has very little traffic (aerodrome road). So it can be done...... Until the Feds decide that ALAs are the weak link in the chain. Afterall, said neighbour could load up his drifter with TNT, taxi across the road, fly to a bigger airstrip, light the fuse and go "boom". Wonder how long it will take to realise airparks are a haven for terrorists? I shouldn't be giving them ideas. 036_faint.gif.544c913aae3989c0f13fd9d3b82e4e2c.gif

Sue

Guest basscheffers

I know stuff all about local politics. But instead of banging your head against the wall known as the planning office (or whatever it is know as) could you not directly lobby individual councillors? If a majority of them see no issue with your plans, they could get the rules changed.

Or have you been down that road already?

Unfortunately we are dealing with the Bureaucracy who have decided if you want a hangar then you had better build half the airport. Councillors don't get a look in. So long as the Bureaucracy is within Policy Guidelines then it is OK to do so. It is all about protecting Council's assets etc. Usually get a consultant to report so it looks to be "arms length". Any non aviation councillors will figure it makes sense.

Same sad amalgamated council appointed an airport co-ordinator who had no aviation experience who then had to appoint a consultant to report on the airstrips. They compared our ALAs to a RPT & high capacity charter standard that CASA no longer recognised as a standard and recommended about $3mil work at each ALA to bring it up to a "safe" standard or close it. If I had not been persistant there would have been a gross waste of money or no airports and I made no friends in the Bureaucracy in doing so. They wanted me to shut up about it. Worries me greatly when the person in charge of all airports in the Council asks "What's CASA got to do with it?" in relation to airport standards. Said consultants were re-engaged to do more reports because no one knows anything (including them).

I'm staying right out of politics for fear of being tarred with the broad brush.

Sue