Cesna 150 raa rego

pete8862

This one? Looked like a nice aircraft.

[ATTACH]12284.vB[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]19196[/ATTACH]

I suspect it's one of those questions that you really don't want to ask:laugh:, I haven't got a POH with me, but internet references say between 447 and 504kg empty weight, which leaves uh, shall we say very little for pilot and a few drops of fuel at the current RA mauw.

C150.jpg.42c3637743c038ebe7208c19323a31bf.jpg

Spin got it covered, i would buy a Texas T/W, converted one,if we got a decent weight Limit.At barnstormers ATM, there heaps of 150/152 a/c forsale. $20 to 40K with good times remaining.Cheaper than here, even if it cost 5 to 10 K to get it here and assembled.

I have a photo of the same plane that i just got the rego no. from, is there any way to find out who owns it & talk to them?

Unless somebody on here puts you in contact, you'd have to ask the RAAus office - there's no online reference.

Interesting that its 19 category - isn't that for kit builds ?

John

Sometimes google is your friend, but no ownership info comes up when I search. For myself, I would be a little wary of bringing this up with RA Aus, unless there is more weight than a seat and seatbelt that you can strip out of a 150, I can't see how they can register one at 544kg, all that will happen is the current owner is likely to get a please explain when re-registration comes around. I imagine trying to reverse to a GA registration would be a nightmare:black_eye:. Unfortunately there seem to be a few funnies lurking on the register - potentially very expensive ornaments for your shed unless/until we get a higher weight limit.

Folks,

That's a C-152, not a 150 in the pic. I couldn't quite see the rego. in the pic, is it really 19-, that's RAOz Experimental??

The short answer is weight, as has already been mentioned. Amongst other slight impediments, you can't just declare a certified aircraft "experimental", and certainly ( unless you can show compliance with the 51% rule) not Experimental Amateur Built.

Anybody thinking of buying an old 150 or 152 (or any strutted Cessna) beware of the high likelyhood of severe corrosion in the main spar leaves between the root attach fitting and the strut attach point.

There is NO RELIABLE was of determining the corrosion, short of deskinning the wings and dismantling the spar section. Removing the tanks and visual/tapping doesn't cut it. I have seen a number, it's been really ugly, but nothing enough cubic $$$$$ can't fix, about AUD$8-10,000 per half wing.

Cheers,

Bill Hamilton

Found a picture of the same plane from a different angle at Aeroplane Images - Festival of Flight 2010/19-7055

Supposed to be from the Festival of Flight 2010. There are 115 other images of various aircraft. There is on C150M on the RAA register under 24-7267.

Interesting. 7055 looks like it has 2 seats - I thought RAA C150's could only have one.

Sue

Destiny,

"home built/51%/amateur built" are all "Experimental", there is a great variety of what fits in the "Experimental" cat.

Whether it is VH- or 19- Experimental, don't confuse it with the long since superseded VH- Amateur Built "Cof A", ( CAO 101.28?) which more or less disappeared in 1998, apart from some grandfathered "work in progress".

When we put the 19- in place it was the AUF equivalent of VH- exerimental amateur built, to AUF weight limits.

In my opinion, if somebody has a C-152 registered 19-, somebody else has made a mistake, it wouldbn't be the first one.

Regards,

I know a little bit about this plane, and I'll emphasize "little bit". The guy who owns the 152 bought it registered RAA. It is my understanding the aircraft was completely disassembled, and then re-assembled (years of work). It was re-built with the purpose of keeping it light, And being completely re-built, it met the 51% rule, and was no more a factory built aircraft. With the completely re-design and re-structure to "legally" meet the RAA requirements, it was no longer a Cessna, so hence the name change.

Thanks for weighing in Bob, I always worry that interesting as it is to discuss these what-ifs, I wouldn't like some poor aircraft owner to come to big brother's notice because we had a casual interest in the matter.

Gosh! I am nearly inspired to take a spanner to my C152.

Regarding discussions about weight etc. I looked up my 152 book. Empty weight is 1112 lb or 504kg. Then you can start tossing out one seat 11 pounds, harness 1.6, control wheel 4.1, wheel spats & fairings 17, landing light 1.8, (we're down to 488kg) and still not get enough to allow for a pilot, oil and fuel. Ditch the 246 pound Lycoming for a 140 lb Rotax and we have 442kg. I might need a severe diet. But it would be lovely if I could make the transition.

Sue

Hi Bill

Maybe a C150G with a landing light mod? I've got the same light in the left wing of my Auster. The 152 has twin lights in the nacelle.

Corrosion is a bastard and a sneaky one at that because it is more often hidden than visible. It makes you think about what might happen in some of those high-rate steep turns, eh?

kaz

Hi All,I have heard from Steve Bell (TEC MAN) & he said NO to Cessna 150 as RAA until the MTOW is raised & that wont be untill 2020

Pete

Strewth Tomo will be an old bugger by then.

Folks,

Have we decided that it started off as a 150 or a 152, I don't recall any 150 with a swept tail??

There still seems to be a divergence of opinion, but I an still voting for 152 --- tail, at least. If it's cobbled together, the cowls could well be 150.

I still can't see how you could hollow it out to get under 544kg and still have any disposable load.

Cheers,

Bill Hamilton

PS: A good mate of mine has a geenuuuiiine C-150, he and I can't fly it together, under the max. gross, even with no fuel in the tanks, we are over max.

Pete, did Steve Bell give you any hint to what MTOW he was referring to? The 600kg (which I thought we already had, but just had to wait for the Attorney Generals office to put it's approval stamp on it)? or the 750kg that they knocked us back on, but said they would reconsider it at a later date?

This is what Steve sent to me.

Peter

Currently I am not permitted to register ANY aircraft which is certified with a MTOW above 544Kg. So regretfully I will not be able to register your 150 until RA-Aus is given a substantial weight increase to 760Kg MTOW which will be at least 2020. So I suggest that you prepare your aircraft for operation and possible sale as VH registered.

In addition in the past I was able to register only 2 models of 150 (mainly the straight tails), since the rest had an empty weight which was way too high.