Final Glide Video

Guest studentbiggles

Excellent flying..........and ditto to the above statement..........God that was close.

Exadios do you know the town/region where this vid was taken? My sister lives in Rome and it would be great to make contacts like this for some flying fun when I visit her.

Thanks for great vid and Cheers Alley

Glide ratio about 50:1 to take full advantage of the ridge effect over the hills, dive brakes to spoil the aerodynamics for landing and lots of speed close to the ground to swap for height if he needed it. Good skills but not such good airmanship to unnecessarily fly so close to fixed objects and terra firma.

kaz

Excellent flying..........and ditto to the above statement..........God that was close.Exadios do you know the town/region where this vid was taken? My sister lives in Rome and it would be great to make contacts like this for some flying fun when I visit her.

Thanks for great vid and Cheers Alley

I don't know where the video was recorded. There are a lot of clubs in the Italian Alps - along with the Swiss, Austrian and German Alps. From what I've been told the flying done there is pretty rugged - makes us in Australia look like pussies.

The text underneath the video (follow the link) is:

"Final glide in torino aeritalia , coppa città di torino gliding competition. ventus 2a LD"

That might give you a clue.

Good skills but not such good airmanship to unnecessarily fly so close to fixed objects and terra firma.kaz

Gotta agree Kaz, but made for a damn good video. Music was cool as well, and I'm 68.

Glide ratio about 50:1 to take full advantage of the ridge effect over the hills, dive brakes to spoil the aerodynamics for landing and lots of speed close to the ground to swap for height if he needed it. Good skills but not such good airmanship to unnecessarily fly so close to fixed objects and terra firma.kaz

Well, it is a final glide and high speed and low height is the norm for a final glides. What I notice most of all is that the pilot rarely looks left or right (the camera seems to be mounted on his head). In a competition others will be coming in on a similar track. It would be a good idea if he kept a better lookout.

• 2 weeks later...