Loading System Alpha

Can anyone explain how loading system Alpha works? I just can't get my head around it.

I understand how you work out how much fuel you can carry - MTOW-ZFW and as long as it fits in the CofG envelope, you're there.

What I can't get my head around is how you work out how much, say, how much baggage you can carry in the rear compartment or whatever. Basically, when you have to work backwards to find something, such as baggage, then I don't get how to do it except drawing lines at random through trial & error or something.

Can anyone explain it?

Darky,

Plot the initial weight/CG point with no baggage. It should fall inside the envelope. Then pick a baggage weight that you know will be too heavy for the back seat or wherever, - say 100kg, and plot the new weight/CG point. This should now fall outside the envelope. Then join the two points with a straight line, and read off the total weight where that line crosses the envelope. Subtract that from your initial weight and that will give you the maximum baggage load that you can carry. I'm writing this from memory, so I hope I've explained it properly, but if not I'm sure someone will pick me up.

rgmwa

Darklet. From an exam point of view, being multiple choice, the questions will ask you to choose a weight for baggage etc and give you 4 choices. Choose one in the middle to start your calc's on. That way you know to go up or down.

rgmwa's explination sounds good.

The examples I have often note on the index scale a max baggage weight for either the nose or rear locker eg 45kg. Haven't seen an example where you have to nominate a max baggage weight (not in Alpha anyway). Would assume as other posts have explained, choose a stupidly big weight, check where it crosses the envelope.?

Darky, if your technique is to draw lines at random it suggests that you've skipped the first class on see-saws and levers.

Take a look at this Weight and Balance

I'll be around on Sunday for Funflight and also at LIL later this morning if you want me to run through the subject with you.

Ok, I think I might have worked it out.

I think part of what's doing my head in with this system is that it just seems really inaccurate. So much of it seems to depend on where in the box you think is the correct spot for the line. I dunno, it just seems inaccurate i_dunno