Saunders- Roe Princess Flying Boat 1952

planedriver

Very interesting and enjoyable footage PD. Took me back to the days of the newscasts at the local movies prior to the main film. Me wonders - did the three Princessii end their days written up on a ten thousand pound scrap invoice? I'll have to go googling to find out. Ah, more time gonna be wasted (invested?) on things inconsequential. Tks 4 the post. cheers Riley

As a kid I remember seeing the one and only Bristol Brabazon flying quite low over my house. It looked huge, and very streamlined,(had abigger span than a 747) but that was another design that did'nt make it into service.

Bristol Brabazon This an interesting site, to read up on a lot of the old airliners around that era.

In the mid 1960's, I was returning from a holiday in Spain in a Bristol Brittania operated by British Eagle Airways, and all the seats faced the back of the aircraft. That was supposed to be the new in thing for aviation safety, but that idea never caught on either.

Takes you back!

I can remember seeing the Princess being built in Cowes in the Isle of Wight when I was a kid, and later when I worked in Devon the Brabazon flew over the property a few times as did the Meteors, but at very low level, that is hedge top level.

Shame no one bought it for scrap value, and turned it into a restaurant of something. The problem is finding somewhere suitable to park it.

Handled properly, it could possibly have been turned into a good moneymaking tourist attraction, if nothing else.

The old paddle-steamer on the River Thames embankment is now a well frequented pub and restaurant, with the locals and tourist alike.

Oh well! it's too late now.