New J170?

RKW

While visiting the Jab factory earlier this month, I saw what may be an upgrade of the J170. It has an extended nose (and engine mount) uses the J230 virt stab and has a new and larger ventral fin. Why the need for the changes...I have no Idea!

Regards, Bob

• Like 1

Hey Bob , my understanding is they'retrying the longer nose to get the CG fwd with the extended engine mounts so they can use the generous luggage area and the 600kg MTOW to allow more luggage to be carried in the aft cg position. Changing the nose to the longer cone as on my 120 means they have to redistribute the longitudinal forces- particularly in spin recovery, so hence the larger tail- also will increase the rudder authority, something jabs are a bit short on. You may have seen the dataloggers and telltales all over it- part of the testing requirements for re-certification.

Yes Neil, it sure looked like a testbed. It even had vortex generators at some stage. I saw the mould for the new ventral fin. It looked to be twice the size of the standard one.

• 4 months later...

I didn't get to see it but Jamie indicated the testing was complete. A new (current) 170 was being delivered, there were a few crash and water damaged planes(from the floods) there as well. The place was very packed with A/C everywhere.

As usual the service was great,my 120 is fresh and happy ready for Natfly, and the flight there and back was great and very unusually a good weather day despite the 30kts SSE.

We are very lucky to have Jabiru that close to us in the S.E. corner, and unfortunately many take for granted having a manufacturer that exports to 17 countries operating in our own country.

I swear a 230 would look good in my hangar!

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
Anyone got any update news on the "new" (long-nose) J170; info or 'spy' pics?

Hello Bushpilot, the 170 in my photo has the long nose. Regards, Bob

Get some snaps BP246, it's always interesting snooping on a new soon to be released model!

I did the same thing years ago, one week before my girlfriend's sixteenth birthday 008_roflmao.gif.692a1fa1bc264885482c2a384583e343.gif

Alan Marriette.

Hello Bushpilot, the 170 in my photo has the long nose. Regards, Bob

Thanks Bob.. Yep saw that and I've since flown one.. I posted the following on another 170 thread:

The handling issues mentioned above have been addressed in the latest J170 design. If you didnt see it at Temora - here is a pic: http://www.centralwestflying.com/newsart.php?k=36 (click on the photo to enlarge - and, yes, I know there are a couple of typos in the text..). I test-flew this particular 170 and liked it.

Ours will be delivered in about 4 weeks time. It will get a real work-out as we do more than 100 hours training and private hire a month in our J160 and J230. The 170 will do a lot of the ab-initio work, so I will report on our in-service experience over time..