Losing the Mojo.

flying dog

I'll keep this non-specific only because I think it would be better to do so.

It has been a LONG time since I have got any left seat ops done. I am worried that I am losing my mojo. I have 500+ hours up in a fairly short time but last time when I was up doing practice circuits, I could see I was not doing a good job.

I have no problems booking and doing circuits for an hour to "get back in the groove", but I just thought I would discuss here - for everyone's edification/benefit - the problem of a long gap in flying.

I am hoping it is like "riding a bike" in that when I do a few more hours, I will get back my confidence/ability to be happy with my flying, but does anyone have any stories/comments?

What sort of time without flying are we talking? Couple months, years?

I haven't had any serious breaks between flying, though it's been 3 weeks since I've flown, and I'm getting serious withdrawals, was gonna take the Hawk for a run this morning, but it started raining......... might take a few different aircraft for a fly tomorrow, before I head OS next weekend.

I know what you mean FD. I can't afford to fly as often as I'd like and recently had a 85 day break. Getting the Jab LSA55 into the air and general flying was fine, but landing was a different story altogether. It's surprising how soon you can get 'behind the plane' so to speak. Missed judged approaches and hard landings were the norm for a while. Flaring just that bit too high or worse still, nose way too high. Eventually it all came back together and I pulled off a couple of greasers.

Guest burbles1

Is there a possibility of taking a "buddy" copilot as a precautionary measure, until you are more confident with your abilities? I shudder when I read "you'll be right" - perhaps you need a mate to judge your abilities, until they're confident you can handle the plane.

Hi flying dog, I believe that being under confident is as dangerous as being over confident.

If your confidence is low then it is better to have an instructor with you,untill it returns.

Cheers,

Frank

Guest burbles1
burbles, he could only go dual (with an instructor) or solo for 3 touch n go's before taking any pax, regardless of weather or not that pax is a pilot.

I need to look at the Ops manual more closely obviously.

Low altitude sickness

I reckon I have lost the mojo and I definitely have LAS - Low Altitude Sickness:sad:

I haven't flown since 26th June and will definitely be having a check flight and an hour of circuits before venturing too far.

Pud

I spent 15 months between flights with a change of circumstances and a move from Cairns to Temora in between. It wasn't until August this year that I found time and money to go flying once more. Given that it was such a long time and that I was going to be flying a low wing Tecnam after learning in a Jabiru, it was always a "no-brainer" that I would spend time with an instructor once more.

I was a little unsure of myself before that first flight but things quickly came back for me. Jill Bailey from Temora is a confidence inspiring instructor and made sure I was competent in the basics before running through a number of exercises including stalls, engine failures and various turns. We completed a couple of hours then Jill was happy to sign off on me flying the Tecnam Sierra. I then went for a check flight with our club president so he would be happy I wouldn't bend the club aircraft too quickly and from there I have now hired and flown our club Tecnam.

My confidence is growing but I am reminded that I need to continue filling the bucket of experience before the bucket of luck runs out! I now have 39 hours total so the learning curve is still steep.

Cheers, Mathew

Well, I did a couple of circuits with my instructor - he didn't charge me for that - and I practiced cross wind landings. Nearly scared myself silly.

I "enjoyed" it - as in I am not that scared I don't want to fly again - but I agree that I need to do some time in the circuit and practice the landings.

I'll get the instructor up with me if he wants somewhere in there. I know some of my landings are shallow and some are steep. I have to re-learn the plane's characteristics.

And!

I need good weather!

(Grumble)

Where's all the good weather?

My confidence is growing but I am reminded that I need to continue filling the bucket of experience before the bucket of luck runs out!

Hey, I like that metaphor. I seem to have a very leaky experience bucket! It's fun to keep it topped up, but I wish I could plug the leak a bit too! 006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif

With a bit of luck I'll get a reasonable amount of flying in in the early part of next year - planning my first multi-day flight dropping in on various family members scattered around the south-eastern seaboard - so with a bit of luck the consistent practice of flying for 4 days in a row will slow the drip rate.

Back on topic... after 3 months off recently, I was really surprised at how much 'touch' I'd lost (but it comes back! :) )