Access to CTA getting closer

Guest burbles1

Guest burbles1

Here are edited excerpts of my communication with Steve Tizzard regarding the CTA endorsement:

14 November 2010

Steve

Re: Controlled airspace endorsement

Would you please confirm whether RA-Aus is close to negotiating a deal with CASA to implement an arrangement whereby members would have access to controlled airspace.

I look forward to your early response.

Guest burbles1

Yes, that's my fear - can't have one without the other...

(well, at this stage anyway - hopefully ADS-B will be rejected for Class G and recreational aircraft)

Guest davidh10

Well currently ADSB is only operative at FL300 and above, and we'll still be limited to 10,000 feet (assuming weight changes and altitude limitation removal are all part of the same package of changes), so any requirement for ADSB at our altitudes is some years away...

I'd have no issue with fitting a transponder and TSO'd altimeter.

Guest davidh10
I`m not against it....Provided it doesn`t affect what we already have, for those who only want to fly in class G.Frank.

I imagine it would be optional, just like PAX and X and that if a medical is required, that would attach to the endorsement, rather than the Pilot Certificate. Likewise an eligibility for the aircraft would be based on it meeting specific eligibility criteria, all of which are already known and don't apply across the board.

FD; I was referring to a non-ADSB transponder. At current prices ADSB is cost prohibitive for recreational flyers, be they RAA or GA. Further I have no plans for attempting an altitude record in my weight-shift aircraft 031_loopy.gif.e6c12871a67563904dadc7a0d20945bf.gif

By the way, I have recently listened to a very informative PodCast on ADSB featuring our own "Bill Hamilton". For someone like myself, it was a great primer on the topic. Thanks go to Bas Sheffers for the link in his signature that introduced me to Plane Crazy Downunder.

It would be ok if they gave some thought to transit lanes for non CTA equipped aircraft or stepped level as the CTA moves outward. but this CTA airspace grab like Willy 25nm and down to GL is a bit over the top. Why do they want down to GL so far out? Now looks like the coastal lane is now gone, you have only the inland lane which can be a real roller coaster run in windy WX.

Can't help but think that evil forces are at work to make things extremely difficult for the weekend warriors.

Before we jump in boots and all, can someone post (if they actually know, and not just mere speculation) what conditions are being proposed for the CTA endorsement?

- Is it "just" an endorsement?

- Will it change medical requirements? If so, will it only affect those who request CTA endorsement?

- Is there a possibility it will affect the required equipment levels of all RAA registered aircraft?

I like the basic idea of a CTA endorsement (not that I think I would use it meself), but I would really like details on the short and long term potential effects on all RAA pilots certificates before giving it my support. I would hate to see RAA gain CTA endorsement, and then find ALL pilots are affected by, for example, the requirement for a class 2 medical for RAA.

What is wrong with us becoming a de facto GA? Surely we are recreational pilots and a lot of GA pilots are the same.

As far as control are a flying goes I flew for years as a GA pilot without going int CTA, but a a recreational pilot I can see thait would be good to have access even if it is only to transit a CTA.