How to get a NOTAM on a Restricted Area?

Hi

I am doing a cross country with my instructor tommorow as a pre-test for the flight test, so not really on cross country level yet but giving it a go and trying to do all the planning.

I pass through R663A and R663B, these are rocket launching areas activated by NOTAM, or so I interpret from the VTC.

I've tried NAIPS but can't get a NOTAM for them, it comes up with invalid location.

How do I get a NOTAM for something that isn't an airfield?

Thanks for the help

Ryan

Thanks. I have also found by doing an area briefing you get all the weather and NOTAM's and down the bottom it lists locations with no current NOTAM, and my ones are on the list, so I'll check in the morning and then again on the radio before I get there.

Hmmm. My ERSA has expired, it's the June one. I would not have noticed but for your post, thanks. First one I have had since I'm new to this. They do show up on the area briefing for area 40.

Have a look on the VNC chart. I don't know where you are flying, but if it is near Brisbane to the north there is no mention of R633. I have the new VNC charts No9 to 12, covering the East coast of Qld. They will be available to all for June 2nd. Mine are preliminary copies dated 18 November.

Guest magcheck

There are some new rules about transiting restricted areas that may be worth looking at

http://www.casa.gov.au/wcmswr/_assets/main/oar/download/reforming-airspace.pdf

Regarding the thread title question one way you can do it is in Naips, use the airspace group box (under the restricted area ones) and enter the area, for example NWX gives Nowra, WMX gives willytown and for Amberly try AMX and AEX

• 3 weeks later...
Guest OzRunways

Military restricted areas can be looked up with 3 letter codes in ERSA, like 'EDX', 'TNX', 'SNX' etc. They are sometimes listed as being active for a week long period, then with a bunch of times underneath active for certain serials. You need to look very carefully at these.

Other areas you have to type in the full code. e.g. if an area has R119A, R119B, R119C etc, naips will spit an error if you just type in R119.

Other areas are marked on maps and are permanently activated. Look in the map legend to see. Some say 'NOTAM' and some will say 'H24'. You can see what the notam is for in ERSA. e.g. "army firing range"