HI

Chris Tarran

• 2 months later...

Hi All. Just thought I'd give a progress report. Now have 14.9 hours up, passed all the exams and went solo yesterday. Wasn't anywhere near as scary as I thought it was going to be. Just settled in and did the job as my CFI taught me. Unbelievable feeling afterwards. Just to throw a spanner in I had to (I didn't have to but thought I'd be courteous) extend downwind for a long final to let an RPT in and then the RFDS didn't hear my final call and entered the runway for a takeoff so I went round again for them. Now for some more hours, get the ticket and start my Navs. Bring it on. Cheers to all. Chris

Guest davidh10

Well handled Chris. :clap2:

That gave you a bit more to think about on your solo and will be a flight you will fondly remember, always.

It just goes to show that pressure is illusory. If you keep your mind on the job at hand and remember what you have been taught, as you obviously did. 020_yes.gif.58d361886eb042a872e78a875908e414.gif

Also, welcome to the forums and congratulations on going solo.

Guest studentbiggles

Well done and congratulations Chris on getting your "Solo".....pop over on one of your Nav's to Yren (Renmark) for meet and greet. Keep up the good work and study.

Cheers and Fly Safe...........................Alley

• 1 month later...

G'day all. Now completed my 20 hours (and 5 solo). Did my flight test on Saturday AM in Port Lincoln while at the Sky Park fly-in and passed. Still got to do the paperwork but absolutely chuffed that I am now a qualified (albeit basic) RA Pilot. Start more solo and navs next Monday. Looking forward to it.

Thanks guys. The bug has bitten now that I know I'll be able to do something useful with an aircraft other than circuit bash. Also thinking about getting some time up and studying to get my PPL as well. Might be some time though. That would open up a whole new range of options.

Latest progress report. Application in with RAAus for Certificate in 3 Axis HP and Radio. 2 Dual Nav's done over the last two days although I had some trouble with getting perspective of the route from 5500 and 6500 feet and confusing landmarks. On the Eyre Pensinsula these are usually silos and there's lots of them. Landings becoming consistent (although I seem to land better on dirt rather than tarmac). One more dual nav, one solo nav, a few more hours solo and then flight tests and I'll have Cross country and Pax endorsements as well. At 14 odd hours when I first went solo I wouldn't have believed that progress would be so fast afterward. Lot to learn yet though.

Hi Jake.

Started in mid October last year and committed to 2 day sessions on my days off to get some serious time in. Had a break between Christmas and mid February and have been training roughly fortnightly since. So long story short it's about 6 months so far. Progress might slow down a bit now due to business commitments but should have the full set by June.

Cheers

Chris

Hi Jake.

Should be easy. I soloed at 14 odd hours which seems to be a bit below average according to the survey on this site. I reckoned that if I wasn't going to have to relearn every time I flew then I needed to put in some intensive effort in decent size blocks to make it all stick and to get comfortable flying the plane. So I went up to Port Augusta on my days off (happens to be Monday & Tuesday in my business), flew as often as possible and hit the books during down time. As a result I had done and passed all 5 basic exams before I soloed. If you get enough hours in in the 8 weeks you could be well advanced. I now have 23 hours up (5.5 solo) and am part way through my navs and pax time so at about 35 hours I reckon I'll have the lot. You should be able to do this in 8 weeks at 4 or so hours a week assuming you have the time and an FI is available.

Cheers

Chris

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Chris, and conratulations. The sierra is a nice easy plane to fly and I believe John is an excellent instructor and it is a nice group up at Pt Augusta.

I see you are from Cleve, I have done some work there in the past -- excellent strips, I have had my little bird in there a few times.

Peter

Hi Peter,

Yes John is a great instructor (IMO), calm at all times and well able to impart his vast knowledge and experience. The Sierra is beautiful to fly although handles quite differently with an empty right seat.

Got my nice shiny new Pilot Certificate in the mail yesterday so I guess it's official now. Now have to complete the Nav and Pax ndorsements. Next flight is next Monday week, hopefully out of Cleve.

Cheers

Chris

• 7 months later...

Just a progress update. As per my last post I got the 3rd Navex done in May as planned and then it all came to a screaming halt until recently.

Organised a TIF day a couple of weekends ago and some locals got to fly and I got 1/2 hour in (dual) although the weather and turbulence were terrible. It was high 30's with a fresh northerly. Not nice.

This week I organised a whole day for myself (selfish aren't I) and my CFI flew down here for the day. Did a dual session for revision late morning and then a 2.5 hour solo Navex in the PM. Temp in the 30's again with a light southerly and rough as guts for most of the way. Even at 7500 AMSL she was still bouncing around all over the place. The only respite was a leg along the western coast of Eyre Pensinsula but as soon as I headed back inland it got turbulent again. On the final leg home to Cleve (YCEE) I was crossing over one of the big reserves and got a huge thermal. Plane trimmed for level flight and 1000 fpm on the VSI. Went from 6500 to 8000 in the blink of an eye. or so it seemed.

Anyway I now have my Nav flight test to do, and about 2 more hours solo and I'll have my X country and PAX endorsments.

Cheers

Chris

Guest davidh10

Good on you Chris.

Yes. Summer is here and the thermals can be very rough in the middle of the day. often in Summer, recreational fliers keep to before 10:00 or after about 17:00 so the conditions are somewhat calmer.

In the last few days, even starting at 17:30 to 18:00, I've been encountering between 500'/min and 800'/min up and down draughts.

Watch out for dust devils too. I believe one caught a glider on the ground at Benalla yesterday and lifted the nose quite high in the air before dropping it on the ground again.

Thanks Dave. When I did my initial training in Port Augusta (YPAG) I started in October and trained through the summer months and early AM or lete PM was definitely the best time to fly. Middle of the day was book time. Had a couple of moments coming in on final to RWY15 and getting a huge lift as I crossed the highway just outside the northern boundary of the airport. One minute I'm at 500 and coming into land and next 1500 feet and going around. Interesting to say the least. Cheers Chris

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All,

Did another 2 hours solo yesterday so have now completed the requisite 10 hours for Pax endorsment. Beautiful day for a fly (eventually) although a little bumpy under 2500. Flew Cleve - Arno Bay - Cowell for a landing. Then Cowell - Arno - Cleve for a few circuits at Cleve and then Cleve out around Darke's Range and return to Cleve. 2 hours exactly on the Hobbs meter. Progress has been really slow since April but nearly there now. Already done 3 dual and 1 solo Navex so just the flight test and exam to do and we've planned that for the middle of January. Also will do the Pax test simultaneously so after that I'll have both. Have to change my Avatar (Green P's perhaps).

Anyway Merry Christmas to all forumites and your familys. Enjoy the holidays and stay safe.

Regards

Chris

• 5 months later...

Hi All,

Finished....finally. Managed to get a couple of days to finish off my PAX and NAV endorsements. Drove up to Pt Augusta yesterday (Monday) and did a couple of circuits dual with my CFI and then had a local flight to brush up. The Tecnam Sierra has had a brand new Rotax installed and a full airframe inspection and service since I last flew it (before Xmas for god's sake) so it flew like an absolute dream. Did ny NAV exam in the afternoon (successfully) and then put in another hour flying late afternoon and did a preliminary flight plan for this mornings flight test. Up at sparrows this morning to preflight and finish flight planning and then off on a Port Augusta (YPAG) - Mt Ive Station - Wudinna (YWUD) - Waddikee - Iron Baron - YPAG loop. Leg from YPAG to Mt Ive was a bit off. Forecast winds 270/20 ended up being 190/20 so I ended up a bit north of track but recovered that OK. It's a bit hard to miss a landmark as big as Lake Gairdner. On the way home the CFI threw me a curve ball by requesting direct from YWUD - YPAG. Managed the changes OK and hit my waypoints and ETA dead on the way home. Sensational day for flying. Smooth air and visibilty for miles but a bit cold at 5500. It's the first time I have ever used the cabin heat.

On the minus side landings are a bit how's-your-father though. They were all really good on Monday but I struggled with a couple today. My CFI reckons it's a currency issue and nothing a couple of sessions of circuits wont fix. Hopefully I'll be able to spend an hour or two in a fortnight on this issue.

So paperwork all done and sent to RAAus for the endorsments but I'm not really finished, I think it's just the beginning. Planning to do a tail wheel endorsment ASAP and also considering doing the Advanced course which from the curriculum description (stall recovery from all attitudes, simulated engine failure practice, etc.) sounds a bit daunting but should make me a better pilot.

Cheers

Chris

• Like 1

Guest davidh10

Congratulations, Chris. Good work.

Check out what you will actually get from the "advanced" endo, if anything before signing up.

It does not seem to grant any priviledge, and you can ask your instructor to teach you anything you believe you need to learn or improve, without a specific course.

Keep in mind that RAA aircraft are not permitted to perform aerobatics, so recovery from unusual attitudes, as far as is legally possible, should already have been covered.