Amphibious Aircraft Regulations.

farri

On the cover of our latest RAA magazine, is the heading...." Amphibious Training Takes Off".

I havn`t read all the relevant regulations covering the registering and piloting of an Amphibious aircraft but as I understand it, the AC needs to be registered as an aircraft and a boat,the pilot needs to hold a pilot licence and a boat licence.

Because the AC is registered as a boat, it would be required to carry all the safety equiptment that is required in a boat and display marine registration numbers as well as AC rego numbers.

Is this correct,if so,will Amphibious training realy take off?

Frank.

Guest Maj Millard

I know with the Seamax and petrel type amphibs you will need an RAAus 'floating hull' endorsement. The Seamax dealership by the way is roumered to have been sold from the previous owner in Hideaway bay, (Airlie beach) to someone in the Brisbane area.

A gentleman from the brisbane area, by name of kevin Bow is able to test and issue 'floating hull' endorsements for the RAA. There may be others. I would imagine you will also need some type of marine license to operate as a boat on the water..............................................................................................Maj...

Amphib flying is not hard, just not sinking is!

I joke...rearly. It is a skill that needs to be subject to instruction just as other flying skills.

To fly RAAus amphibs or seaplanes you need the applicable indorsement just as you do to fly different RAAus aircraft.

Until recently there was a lack of RAAus instructors mainly due to the fact there was a lack of RAAus aircraft suitable for training, that is 24 rego aircraft. As you know only the owner can be trained in a 19 rego aircraft which was not conducive to obtain the teaching endorsement for Instructors as the market was not large.

THAT was the point of the article...there are now a number of 24 rego aircraft that can be purchased AND now there is the ability to obtain the applicable endorsement by Instructors in these aircraft and teach that endorsement as modern aircraft are available suitable for purchase and training.

The requirement for a boat licence is a State issue. However as you are rearly a boat on the water, even if it is not a legal requirement, would you not want to know what that boat comming directly towards you is going to do? Is it going to move to your right, or your left?

As for equipment: a paddle...how are you going to move the aircraft if the engine is off?

life jackets...if you turn over it happens fast...how well do you swim?

water removal devise...strongly recommended to stop sinking...or are your (costly) avionics water proof?

anchor and line...if your engine stops do you rearly want to be blown onto rocks/trees/out to sea?

PLB or equivalent...NO AIRCRAFT SHOULD FLY WITHOUT ONE!

That list I think is what is required in a boat...if you do not have them in your aircraft you are being a bit shortsighted regardless of the Law in my opinion anyway.

There is nothing that can equal that "shisssss" as you do a "greaser" onto the water...it's nearly as good as sex...and I can attempt to do it again in minutes!

• Like 1

As general interest, who do you know who;

1. Can Instruct RA Aus hull/and or floats? (they are seperate endorsements)

2. Who has, or has access to, RA Aus registered aircraft for training.

As noted in the RA Aus mag, Warwick Flying School have two Instructors (Rob and Kelvin), and access to my Super Petrel (some PIC restrictions).

Who else is there out there?

Guest Maj Millard

Heon, Mr kevin Bow in the brisbane area...possibly Rainbow Beach, I don't have any contact details for him but the RAAus office should have a contact # for him when they re-open. He has extensive experience on Lake Buckeneer, and has recently endorsed on the Seamax........................................................Maj...

Yes, know about Kevin. He is based at Gympie. Also Mick Poole in Melbourne area. Both very good.

Do not know if either has/has axcess to RA Aus aircraft (at this time). If you have an aircraft I would recommend either.

Also know Nick Sigley was instructing Rohan Whittington (an Instructor) who purchased a Super Petrel from me (Gold Coast) but not quite sure at what stage they are at.

Yes, know about Kevin. He is based at Gympie. Also Mick Poole in Melbourne area. Both very good.Do not know if either has/has axcess to RA Aus aircraft (at this time). If you have an aircraft I would recommend either.

Also know Nick Sigley was instructing Rohan Whittington (an Instructor) who purchased a Super Petrel from me (Gold Coast) but not quite sure at what stage they are at.

I have Pm'ed Rohan. So has some others. I think he is away at the moment, flying down to SA.He is/was a grade 3 instructor GA.He is waiting to do a course or something to get qualified. I will start training for my endorsement as soon as he is ready to go.I am looking forward to it.009_happy.gif.56d1e13d4ca35a447ad034f1ecf7aa58.gif