What age can kids fly (pax)

Guest skidmark1975

Guest skidmark1975

Nicole and I are expecting our first child, so my question is,

What age can the baby/infant/child fly? My first concern would simply be the noise in the cabin being so damn loud.

Help

Cheers Mark

Guest rocketdriver

Hi Mark

We took my youngest daughter, Sarah, flying when she was just 3 weeks old .... The only detrimental effect seems to be that, in her late twenties and with three kids, she loves sports cars and aeroplanes!

Regards

RD

djpacro's reference should cover it. Make sure that they don't have a cold, as ear damage can happen if you go to a height and come down fairly quickly. Sound levels should not be damaging in the short term but if you have concerns check it out . Nev

With a decent headset, noise should not be an issue. But, a child size of course, that fits properly. MyDaughter takes her one year old to noisy events but has ear muffs (industrial style but pink!) Strangely the one year old doesn't mind them.

My Kelpie, Mandy, also wears earmuffs when she is flying and is very well behaved... but then, she is 11 now.

If anyone is interested, the gear is called Mutt Muffs and they do seem to help her cope with the noise of a rag 'n' tube Auster assaulting her very sensitive ears.

kaz

Guest aussie carl

Be careful with pressure. When I was about 6 years old. (First time in a plane) I remember the excruciating pain in my ears for the whole flight about 1hr from Griffith to Sydney. I remember crying in pain and no one asked why, I was too scared to ask for help from all the strangers. Far out it hurt.

I still suffer slightly but equalize regularly.

Nicole and I are expecting our first child...

Firstly, Congrats to both you and Nicole.

My wife and I found ourselves n this same situaton last year.

After getting our RAA certs, we had done our first trip together and were planning our next when we found about our little bun.

I have two things that may be relevant to your question.

After Megan was born (six weeks early and only 3lbs), life presented challenges to us.

Time had suddenly became too much of a c ommodity to spend driving for two hours to the airport.

Money had also become an issue...

The other thing is too see how booster seats and capsules sit in the aircraft. You would have a heck of a time getting them secured in the seat.

Booster seats are also not designed to absorb verticle forces - such as a carrier (heavy) landings. They only like horizontal forces.

So my summary is to wait till they can comfortably sit in the seat restrained by the seat harness.

Stanzahero.

Guest skidmark1975

Thanks everyone for your advice and real life stories. I think stanzahero makes a good point re, time, money and trying to jam a capsule in the back seat of the Challenger (i struggle putting a water bottle back there). I guess we will have to play it by ear and see how we go or get my hands on a nice big 6 seater:clap2:

Once again, thanks for your help

Mark

Hi Mark,

Yep.

She was restricted growth because the placenta was dying.

We went in for a 33 week scan, got sent to hospital for monitoring for a week, then had an emergency C-section at 34 weeks. She was the size of a 28 week old.

They spent over a month in the ICU with my wife in Ballarat and me 130kms away at home.

She is now 11 months old and don't show any signs, apart from being a little small, of the trouble we had.

The photos are Meg the day after she was born with a 5 cent coin by her foot, Bec and Meg with my watch as a comparison, and Meg at Christmas with Bec.

So in all, it turned out OK.

Stanzahero.

meg_and_coin.jpg.ef1d8c347a82c597f2f47ffe8df8ea57.jpg

meg_with_watch.jpg.dc6c7a9874c6cd09acb8eb238a19e432.jpg

Bec_and_Meg.jpg.77357490f210f6a21aec4d99cc350d43.jpg

Guest skidmark1975

WOW stanzahero, nice to see all worked out in the end.

Nev, we need to talk Bob into lowering the price of the 172 first, once it sells then the 182 comes up.