The media make me sick

Jayz

What's the name of your restaurant? I'd like to drop in some time and try anything but a schnitzel. :big_grin:

Don

Hi don it is called Jayz @ the settlers I am on the central coast hwy in gosford would love to invite you to pop in would be great come in on a Monday and you can have a snitzle or t-bone with chips and salad, sauce with FREE schooner of soft drink or beer for $13:90 have amlook at my web page http://www.jayzatthesettlers.com there is a menu on there.

Guest aussie carl

yer i can't tipe or smell. Don't bother me ! I will still post.

Now what were we talking about. OH yer the airline with the red tailed airplanes. Zoom Zoom a Zoom Zoom Zoom. Or the Media mediating the truth.

"It is not the job of QANTAS management, in a fiercely competitive business, to set the rules of engagement nor is enforcement of those rules their job. That is for the Government of the day, the ACCC and the courts. You can't blame QANTAS if the ACCC has "no balls". You can blame KRudd and Julia."

Actually Blackrod you have it plain backwards on that one... it was the Howard government and its corrupt ministers who protected Qantas. The old buggers seemed to have the "Qantas is our national carrier" mindset so many people do. Thus they favoured Qantas and let it get aways with its dirty tricks. It is only since the change of government that a sense of fair play has been introduced into the Aussie Airline scene. The only thing the current government has done is not blow the lid on the dirty of the previous years. Sorry but this is just fact. Regardless of my politics it is very well known.

"QANTAS is our National Carrier. How well or badly it goes reflects on the reputation of the Australian nation. If you think any business can prosper by dudding its customers then you know nothing of business. "

Rubbish. It is easy to dud your customers when they have no choice but to use your business... Fact. Been going on for years in Australia.

Guest Maj Millard

Blackrod, I flew the red-tailed moneysuckers several times in the early 70s when their cabin service was really good. Unfortunatly it went to shxx in the late 70s, and I haven't flown with them since.

After that I flew the Pan Am Clippers until they dissappeared, and now either fly United, or Singapore where you really do get treated like a human.

Sorry but I voted with my feet. I have read all about Qantas's early trials and tribulations, I have been to the Qantas museum in Longreach, I have worked in their original hangar at Cloncurry, and I have stood and looked over the flat they used as one of their first landing strips in Winton. But when I fly international I want the best service, and the safest flight I can afford.

I am aware that Qantas does a LOT of milage each day, however if they were an American airline and had suffered the number of failures that Qantas has recently, they would be in very serious trouble with the FAA.................................................................Maj...

When I flew to Saudi Arabia from Brissie.I flew Malaysian airlines there via KL (about 24 hours total including stop overs)and Emirates to Singapore and then BA/Qantas About 30 plus hours .That means Qantas ticket code share on BA A/C.BTW BA 747 A/c, where always fairly new.Qantas never went there back then, maybe they still dont. I dont know.I flew backwards and forwards every 3 months for nearly two years.I didnt have to pay for the tickets, i just had to find the quickest way home and back again.

I would like the media to take up the cudgels on behalf of people flying airlines out of Gladstone Qld.

The aerodrome board has just spent millions without any help from state or federal government to upgrade the airport. We have had very expensive dash 8 flights for years. The new runway is open and we still get the expensive Dash 8 flights, but with the floods in Rockhampton we are now getting the jets landing at Gladstone but still expensive dash 8 for the locals.

How is Qantas to blame for it's Rolls Royce engines failing, it is Rolls Royce who have the problem. A Singapore Airlines A380 also had the same problem with one of its engines and was only found as a result of the A380s being grounded after the Qantas incident.

A Google search of safest airlines based on statistics ranks Qantas at an undisputed number one, this is also common knowledge amongst most people. Many American airlines have had tragedies where hundreds of people have died so I don't understand Maj Millards FAA comment????

How is Qantas to blame for it's Rolls Royce engines failing, it is Rolls Royce who have the problem. A Singapore Airlines A380 also had the same problem with one of its engines and was only found as a result of the A380s being grounded after the Qantas incident.A Google search of safest airlines based on statistics ranks Qantas at an undisputed number one, this is also common knowledge amongst most people. Many American airlines have had tragedies where hundreds of people have died so I don't understand Maj Millards FAA comment????

Davey Qantas is not to be blamed at all, for the A380 engines, they are virtually brand new. Their highest time A380 is about 8 500 hours. The engines are not even run in yet.Its a RR problem.

I have heard through a Qantas employee that in retaliation against overseas maintenance and the outsourcing of work to overseas firms, the Unions have let it known that they will make a big deal about any technical issue with Qantas aircraft as part of their campaign against this outsourcing. He said this was plainly evident with the engine that blew up over San Francisco as it was actually an engine that was maintained in Australia and if it wasn't for the spectacular footage from a passenger on-board, then we would have heard very little of it. He told me it was for this reason that it was hardly ever brought up and not referred to much in the media. I thought this was very interesting.

I'm really interested to know what the current government has done to increase competition in the industry because apart from decimating so many other industries (insulation, solar panels, green loans, aboriginal housing scheme, alternative internet technology and NBN anti competition here, electricity via carbon tax, mining super profit tax ala resource rent tax ala god knows what now...to name but a few), I haven't observed any such improvement. We have however seen a complete wind-back of previous Labor Gov reforms with the extremely anti-competitive practice of the NBN bulldozing all other technologies with the consumer robbed of choice and being forced to pay higher prices in what the ACCC, hands tied behind it's back, cannot do anything about.

On the original post, I agree with you Jayz. Drawing any similarity between a design fault in a new engine and this recent incident is sensational at best, and just plain incorrect.

Guest Maj Millard

It does appear the the A380 engine problem is a RR problem, even though RR or Airbus have not admitted fault yet, and a shxx fight appears to be ensuring, as Qantas doesn't think it's their fault either.

Qantas has had other engine failures though recently on other aircraft types, notably the B767 and B747.

Reference to my comment about the FAA. I worked in the US for 12 years and witnessed several Airliner engine failures. When the aircraft lands the aircraft is automatically grounded, and the FAA inspectors are all over it. They do not view engine failures on commercial jetliners as being the norm, in any shape or form. If the same airline developes a history of continued failures, they will find themselves in trouble with authorities fast.

And yes the yanks have certainly had their share of airline accidents over the years. Remember though they do more flying in one day then Australian airlines do in one year.

Windsor68, I would guess around 1999 sometime, we went to Cloncurry to rescue a very nice Baron that had landed wheels up. We removed both engines and props, and fitted new ones. The landing gear doors were removed, and a large temporary belly patch was fitted so it could be ferried to Townsville, for more permanent repairs. The old Qantas hangar there is fascinating. The dirt floor is so oil soaked that it is hard as concrete, and can be swept just like concrete. One's mind wanderers back to the days when it was just the norm, and considered a good thing, to just drop the engine oil straight onto the dirt floor. Dust would have been a problem there, and this was a great solution, in the days of the early biplane airliners. The structure of the hangar is also impressive in that it is all tubular steel construction bolted together, and was probabily brought overland to Cloncurry in it's day, by either road or rail, and assembled on site. It is probabily as strong as the day it was put up............................................................................Maj

Maj... the old airport in Mount Isa which became the local gliding port was treated with oil over the whole takeoff and landing area. Turns out the oil they were given from MIM carried some pretty nasty cancer causing chemicals.

Scintillating expression and dazzling logic. 003_cheezy_grin.gif.c5a94fc2937f61b556d8146a1bc97ef8.gifRemind me again W68 whose job it is to regulate airlines, and in fact, all competition?

Qantas? I don't think so.

And who regulates the regulator and has done for the last 4 years? 031_loopy.gif.e6c12871a67563904dadc7a0d20945bf.gif

Blackrod... What I am pointing out.. simple fact... it is only in the last 4 years that some sense has been injected into the regulation of Australian Airlines. There is still a long way to go and it is slow.... but there it is. You don't need to be an expert to see this. Just look into the way things have changed in this time period.

The old Qantas hangar there is fascinating. The dirt floor is so oil soaked that it is hard as concrete, and can be swept just like concrete. One's mind wanderers back to the days when it was just the norm, and considered a good thing, to just drop the engine oil straight onto the dirt floor. Dust would have been a problem there, and this was a great solution, in the days of the early biplane airliners.............................................................................Maj[/color]

When i worked at Camden the hanger floor was dirt like maj said hard as. But not hard enough to damage a part if you dropped it, unlike concrete.

Talking about QANTAS maint. quality, when the Q Base was steaming along with a great reputation pre 80's, the turbine section had a soft timber floor for the same reason. Imagine the cost of dropping a blade onto concrete.

Hi Spin,Seems that Dave and Boonah are ok. Dave is picking me up on Sunday 23rd to get a spot of flying in at Boonah and a welcome sniff of avgas after too many years of abstinence. Let me say here and now that it is flying folk such as you here on Recreational Flying that give me a reason to carry on,despite my problems (health) over the last few years. A big thank you to you all and to use what I

am told is a real Australian salutation. I LOVES YOU ALL!!! Fireproof

Winsor68 Would you really have us believe that the other operators are in any sense different to Qantas. It is a hard world these days and most, if not all business in any particular field are willing and ready to cut corners. We are learning from the USA that anything goes and customers are just there for the sole purpose of making money Come on, this is not fairyland any more, and conspiracy is part of the game. fireproof

Winsor68 Would you really have us believe that the other operators are in any sense different to Qantas. It is a hard world these days and most, if not all business in any particular field are willing and ready to cut corners. We are learning from the USA that anything goes and customers are just there for the sole purpose of making money Come on, this is not fairyland any more, and conspiracy is part of the game. fireproof

Yes. I would have you believe that Qantas is different to the other operators...