Hmm - Which plane?

AzharFly

Hi,

I am wondering which fixed wing planes have the following options:

2 seater, tricycle wheel configuration, trailerable (so the enclosed trailer can become the hangar/folding wing option of course) and has a cruise speed of at least 75 knots - any engine.

I can only think of the sykranger (with removable wing kit but that one you need 2 people and looks fiddly).

Any ideas out there?

For single seaters there's more choice. I think the sadler vampire is the only true single person foldable wing plane for the above specification unless anyone else knows of another. I would be interested to know your thoughts.

Regards,

Azhar

Try the Eurofox and Bushbaby also.Chris

Hi,

The bushbaby: is that the new ones designed in South Africa now manufactured/sold as a kit in Mareeba?

I didn't know the Gazelle had folding wings.

Azhar

Re Skyranger

Hi,

So you like the Skyranger - did you build it yourself? Was it difficult? Would you say it was a trully trailerable aircraft (I.e quick and easy to fold/remove wings and put back together again). What kind of cruise speed do you get/engine?

Thanks,

Azhar

Sorryyou did specify trike undercart

both the Aeropup and the Superpup have their taxi wheel on the back

Davidh

I did not build my Skyranger I had an opportunity to purchase the first Australian built aircraft at a margin narrow enough over the component price to be attractive. Especially attractive when viewed in the context of my personal history of less than competent mechanical ability.

After two years of flying and servicing the Skyranger I am extremely happy with the design, with the international user's group, the utility, the ease of flying, general ruggedness, economy of flying and ease of servicing.

On Monday I did a 3 tacho hour flight one up at 80kts and 14.5lit per hour, the other two aircraft in the trip were a Gazelle and a Foxbat each with around 100 hours on 100hp Rotax. My 80hp Skyranger was a few minutes slower over the journey than the others. They joined overhead and did a circuit to land and I had to divert a little in order to allow time for the runway to clear for a straight in approach.

The shorter wing, the 100 hp motor, or the x-lam fabric would all increase the speed cf my aircraft.

I have no experience with the folding wing but would expect it to be less convenient than either the Aeropup or the Skyfox.

PM me if you want further info on my experience with the Skyranger.

Davidh

Guest CptKelly

Which plane?

How about the Just Escapade or Highlander... or what about a Cygnet SF-2A? The Cygnet is a tailwheel, but could be built as a nose dragger...

Mike

• 4 weeks later...

do the ch701's really cruise at 75 knots on a 582 ??? It's just all the articles I read state different speeds at cruise and none seem to be too consistent....

was just noting too the basic kit on the skyranger seems to come with more of a complete kit as with the aeropup you need to buy covering as well which i'm sure adds up ,,,,,or is that incorrect,,,,

Atm i'm still deciding on which one out of the 3 I'd like to lean towards...

They are all basicly draggy designs that are going to consume horsepower quickly at anything over 75-80 kts.

I would expect that the Skyranger would be the quickest and most straight forward kit to assemble.

You are welcome to pm me for any specific questions on my experience with my Skyranger.

best wishes

Davidh

• 4 months later...
Hi,I am wondering which fixed wing planes have the following options:

2 seater, tricycle wheel configuration, trailerable (so the enclosed trailer can become the hangar/folding wing option of course) and has a cruise speed of at least 75 knots - any engine.

I can only think of the sykranger (with removable wing kit but that one you need 2 people and looks fiddly).

Any ideas out there?

For single seaters there's more choice. I think the sadler vampire is the only true single person foldable wing plane for the above specification unless anyone else knows of another. I would be interested to know your thoughts.

Regards,

Azhar

Hi Azhar,

I went to Horsham (Victoria) and had a fly of the Eurofox, If I didn't know better, I'd say it was a Skyfox Gazzelle in all respects but with a better performance (with the 100hp motor), very nice, the only critism I have with both the Skyfox and Eurofox was the headroom, if you were 6 feet high, your head would (I think) touch the roof struts (not the roof itself). It has all the criteria you asked about and is VERY nice,

cheers

Garry

Guest Rocko

Xair Hanuman. Wings fold for storage, and trailering if really required.

However, the advice given me when I bought the H was that there is significantly more risk of aircraft damage during trailering than simply keeping it at the airstrip.

Also, look at the costs. Good quality custom trailer could cost $5K+. Thats the equivalent of 4-5 years hangarage where I am. Plus, a damn sight less inconvenient than trailering, and setting up/dismantling each time (and perhaps forgetting to secure something before you fly).

Honestly, if you can't assemble it with only one person, in less than 10 minutes, as well as get it off the trailer yourself, then it's probably not worth the bother. You don't always want to have to rely on someone coming along and helping you put it together.

Scotty

Guest Rocko

Oh, the Xair Hanuman runs on Jab 2200, cruises fast at around 90 kts, at around 13LPH, or comfortably at 75-80 kts at around 10LPH.

Or, at least, mine does. ;)

Guest Jokerman

Hanuman

Hi Rocko,

Did u build your Hanuman or did u buy it complete? The Jab 2200 engine is 85hp isn't it?

What are the flight characteristics like?

Guest Rocko

Built it. Had the second one in the country. More in assembly, I believe, as well as a few more flying now. Xair have a couple hundred flying around the world now, of the Hanuman type, I heard.

Flies exceedingly well, for a STOL aircraft. Basically met my requirements for a 2 seater, relatively quick (ie. must be above 60-70kt cruise) light touring aircraft, as well as my ultimate ideal...it had to be cheap.

Reality is, it's just a modified Rans Coyote-type design, just as a Skyranger is. I looked at both aircraft, and decided that, being nearly 10 grand cheaper to build at the time than the Skyranger, I didn't see the need paying all that extra for a Rotax.

Not that there's anything wrong with a Rotax. Damn fine engine. Just beyond what I wanted to spend on a rag and tube aircraft.

All up, fully assembled, cost me around $47K.

It now has a 912 as a powerplant option. Seems pointless spending an extra 5 grand plus, to gain diddly squat in performance. I'm near Brisbane, and I've never had probs with CHT's yet, so I'm fine with air-cooled engines.

Now we have all the little adjustments done, I can fly hands-off for quite reasonable periods, while navigating. Stall is VERY slow and well behaved.

Only thing I'd really prefer about the Skyranger is the bigger tyres. Mine are fine and handle really well, but they're narrow, and you couldn't land on a beach, for example, with them.

Brakes are cable and pad....work perfectly well, without complication.

Interior finish is very nice, actually. I think it's a bit nicer than the Skyranger, but thats a personal opinion. Plus, I liked the idea of dual controls. However, they're very similar aircraft in many ways.

M<y props a bit fine, so I don't achieve full RPM's (Max out at 2950rpm), where a coarser pitch should get to 3200 or so. However, I still reach 90-93 kts, without the wheel pants on, and have a very good climb performance.

As a first aircraft, capable of some pretty reasonable touring, at a quite reasonable price, it's fitted my expectations perfectly. Plus, the factory support from Xair has been excellent.

Umm, thats about it, I guess ;)

Scotty

Hi Azhar.

The Shyranger is really a brilliant aircraft. I built mine last year in about 3 months, the kit is first class and goes together very easily. Most of the work is of course in fitting the engine and instruments etc. Mine is X-lam covered with a Rotax 912 ULS and is the short wing version (highly recomended). It will cruise at 92 Kts and climb out at 1200 fpm, ground roll is about 50 m. I have had no experience with the wing fold option, although I am told it works quite well.

Regards Greg

Guest Rocko

What about the Quick fold wing jabiru? Are they still making that? I'd considered it for a while, a couple of years ago, before buying the Hanuman, but I don't see it as an option anywhere on Jabiru's web page anymore?