Cyclone Season

Spin

Guest Andys@coffs

About technical things I have no problems putting words together (right or wrong)...about somethng like this I struggle....

I hope that you all survive and those that are important to you likewise....both physically and as importantly from a mental perspective.

I hope that those things you own are undamaged and that your houses continue to be homes.....

And somewhere near the bottom of the list, but still important I hope your Aircraft survive and that you dont try to break any of the Ultralight speed records for manned or unmanned flight.

Andy

P.S Major I hope the beer helps, cause you really dont want to have to have a pit stop or two due to beer bladder syndrome around 10pm to midnight tonight....

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

G`Day Ross......... We`ve done every practical thing we can do here to prepare so I have a bit of time to read the posts.

Unfortunately for everyone around the Ingham/Townsville area, at the moment it appears that you will cop the brunt of it....By the way it`s been changing direction,it could still go anywhere though.

In Cairns, the wind has come and gone several times...... At the moment , if we didn`t know any better,we`d be thinking," What Cyclone ? "

Cheers and stay safe,

Frank. 041_helmet.gif.78baac70954ea905d688a02676ee110c.gif041_helmet.gif.b33edb063c342f545e37fe5acb1c5db2.gif041_helmet.gif.78baac70954ea905d688a02676ee110c.gif

Hi all

The S***S starting to hit the fan here in the Whitsundays, very strong wind gusts, a few branches down already. We've battened down as much as possible. I think we will miss the worst of the wind, but the tidal surge may get us as Heathrow is built on a flood plain!

The drifter is hanging up high in the hangar and the new Savannah kit is all in the shipping container. I'm hoping that the worst of our tidal surge will coincide with low water.

This time we have holes in the bottom of the containers so they won't float away like the did a few years ago!

Good luck and STAY SAFE to all living further north

Guest Maj Millard

That's good frank, the last big one I experienced in Townsville was Althea ( I was away elsewhere for about 15 years). Althea was a doosy and did a lot of damage, and some of it quite spectacular. This one is bigger than Althea so we are in new territory really. Like a lot of things, it's all in the preparation as you know, and then you just sit and hope the roof stays on don't you.

On a lighter note, I was just on the front porch (downwind side) looking up watching the clouds go past. There were about twelve seagulls pointed West but definitly tracking North. They just had their wings out , no flapping required !..................................Maj...

Best of luck Ian and Julie down there at Heathrow. I hope you have the container with the new Savvy in well secured, they have been know to get blown over. Cheers for now , stay safe Ross.

Hi Maj, I would love too.Im working in Brisssy ATM (Tennyson),flat out with hundeds of other tradies trying to restore some normality to peoples lives. Im a bit depressed I watched a Lady take photos of her campervan today.It was stuck it a basement with 4 other cars.They couldnt get them started as the water poured in.I have been watching people come and go trying to salvage belongings.The reason this is happening now, and not two weeks ago is because the buildings where only a built a year ago by MIRVAC and they are guttering and replacing internals in the bottom units plus fix everything else in the basements Its a insurance thing i think.We are working for them.All people have been kicked out, (the buildings are 10 floors high).Only the bottom floor of one building was effected by flood 500mm high.But the problem is all the power is fed from the basements.The sparkies think it will be another 2 weeks for power to be put on.We pumped out the swimming pool yesterday.It had 4 prawns and hundreds of little fish in it.Good luck Mate

It is getting breezy in Mackay... the airport is now closed until morning. I start work tomorrow at 0900 so am thinking it could well be open. I have had the last two days off work but am told there are dozens of assets parked at the airport ready for the rescue operation beginning tomorrow. Mackay may well be the the closest operating airport to this event..Hang in there guys and remember that help will be with you in the morning if you are in any trouble. Try to stay safe and take whatever precautions necessary.

Guest Maj Millard

The news coverage has been pretty impressive so far, but I wish that reporter in Townsville would step out from behind that building !!!!

Getting some good gusts here now in Townsville, we still have power and internet which is pretty impressive. Watching all the really large trees across the road getting tossed around like small bushes.

Wondering how those big hangars are doing at the airport.

The track has moved back North again Frank, toward Innisfail. I feel sorry for those people there, second time around.

This thing is so large. Your right, the ride has started and will only get better between now and midnight !..........................................Maj...037_yikes.gif.f44636559f7f2c4c52637b7ff2322907.gif 063_coffee.gif.b574a6f834090bf3f27c51bb81b045cf.gif

Yep even here in the towers, the wind is big, the big fig trees are just, just hanging on from the looks, this is only the start of it here, bloody hell its gonna hurt.

Nd you know what really gob smached me the most, there is planes about 6 with not a single rope on them, and all the ones in the open front hangar about another 6 not tied down either, so if the wind turns they will all be piled up in the corner, WTF ????

Listened to Qld ABC most of last night. Mission beach and just north of it seems to have got the worst of it. Cane and Bananas gone. Like before. Power outages and cellphones not working in some areas . No reported loss of life. Good. Nev

And likely to remain out for some time I believe - huge job to inspect all the lines, ID faults then work their way through it. Some idiot was mouthing off about it being a fizzer and how the authorities exaggerated this morning, should get him to go talk to some of the folk in Tully, Cardwell etc. That wind through one of the cities would have been devastating and we would almost certainly not be congratulating ourselves on the lack of casualties. Even after seeing Innisfail in the raw immediately after Larry, I was absolutely gobsmacked to see the marina at Port Hinchinbrook shifted bodily onto the shore, on TV this evening. Saw a quick glimpse of an aircraft on its back somewhere up there too - I imagine it won't be the only one sadly.

Hope all our forum members weathered things ok.

Guest Maj Millard

Hi from us in Townsville. We're on Generator power without knowing where the next fuel is coming from, but all well. Lot of big trees down in our street, and throughout the city, so we don't expect to have power anytime soon. I'll be on the chainsaw the next couple of days......................................Cheers maj

Guest davidh10

Good to hear you are ok, Maj. From news reports it sounds like it will be some weeks before power is fully restored. I expect that also means many servos won't have power to pump fuel, even if the fuel is there and not full of water.

Hang in there guys*.

___

* Guys is a non-gender specific okker term!

Glad to hear you're in one piece Maj - any word on how your and other aircraft fared?

Just to echo what others have said, I clearly recall reading an article by Bob Grimstead where he stated that chainsaw accidents were at one stage the most common cause of US commercial pilots losing their licences! I use one regularly on my bush block and although a marvellous tool, I tend to have that quote in mind when picking it up.

GoHang in there guys*.___

* Guys is a non-gender specific okker term!

Interesting to see that, I was born overseas and had fella from out west vehemently object to my use of "guys" n an interview, soon after arriving. He (a transplanted pom!) advised me that the correct Australian term was "blokes". Go figure.

Guest davidh10
Interesting to see that, I was born overseas and had fella from out west vehemently object to my use of "guys" n an interview, soon after arriving. He (a transplanted pom!) advised me that the correct Australian term was "blokes". Go figure.

Meanings are ascribed to "common usage", so in my experience of recent years, the term "guys" has been used by both/all sexes to address a group of non-uniform gender composition. One could postulate that "guys" is a shortened form of "guys and gals", and you know how Ozzies love to shorten or truncate words and expressions :-) IMHO, "guys" has come to be used in a generic sense, whereas "blokes" is definitely referring to the male gender.

However, some people are all to precious these days and a few seem to troll for things to which they may choose to take offence, so I thought I'd add the footnote. 022_wink.gif.2137519eeebfc3acb3315da062b6b1c1.gif

The world was a better place before the rise of PC (political correctness). Of course to be politically correct, you must also value everyone's opinion, and therein lies a conundrum. 031_loopy.gif.e6c12871a67563904dadc7a0d20945bf.gif

As the yanks love to say "... your mileage may vary."

Guest Maj Millard

Well the chain sawing went well today without any casualitys. As expect the whole street pitched in, and we basically cleared the whole street of 4-5 huge trees that had toppled. Had to leave other branches in overhead power lines, and I'm sure the energy folks will get them with Cherry pickers.

Half way throught the afternoon a Gourmet coffee van came along, and we all had the best cup of coffee we've had for a couple of days.

When we got done, took a drive around town to see what the rest of the place looked like. Pretty much like our street with lots of trees down. It's going to be a big job, but the army is pitching in now and carting a lot of debris.

Haven't heard any news on aircraft, although I know that the boys up further North in Tully and Cardwell are in a lot worse shape than us here in Townsville.

Some parts of town now have power back, so there are the essentials like fuel etc becoming available again. Dropped into the booze outlet, and the busiest place in town once again . Can't say Queenslanders don't the have their priorities right !!............Maj