PPL theory exam

Jayz

I Started my 16 sunday weekly PPL theory class at warnervale air today. I was just wondering how many people were self-taught and took the exam or did you do the theory ina class room and how did you go. Today started with 4 hours learning how to use the whizz wheel. Think i got the hang of it now. Next week is on to time.

Agree with cficare. Lots to learn but fascinating & enjoyable. A good tutor is a bonus & always ask questions if you don't understand anything no matter how trivial you may think it is.

Good luck

Kevin

I am glad have done my first nav I think that it will help put all the dots together. Got a good teacher young Andrew from warnervale air, i have done most of my flying with him as well.

Guest Kevin the Penniless

I did my PPL theory in the 80s and was self taught. Then I failed the AP&O exams (dam performance charts) so I did a course. Worth the money.

I self-studied mine, except for the intial theory on how to use the whizz wheel etc before my first nav (basic nav planning stuff). In my usual style, I studied the majority of it in a week. I think there are definite benefits to doing in it a class though :)

I had an initial 2 hour briefing with my instructor where he went through the basics of navigation and using the wizz wheel. The rest was all self study using the Bob Tait PPL (and BAK) manuals, which is what my flying school recommended. When I thought I knew the theory, I downloaded the practice PPL exams from the Bob Tait website and did those before taking the 3 hour CASA cyber-exam.

Did the exam comfortably in about 2 hours, and got an 85% pass. Thought I'd done better than that when I walked out, but there's always a few questions that trip you up. The CFI will take you through the ones you got wrong, because you're supposed to be 100% competent before you do your flight test.

rgmwa

I did my theory study out of books with Captain Trevor Thom who must be even older than me ... I remember him well 062_book.gif.f66253742d25e17391c5980536af74da.gif

But I first learned to navigate at sea - flying came later - and I still can't fly with the charts set track up. I always have them north up. Although this means I have to interpolate my track changes left and right when flying south, I can at least read the place names without any trouble at all.augie.gif.8d680d8e3ee1cb0d5cda5fa6ccce3b35.gif

For the same reason, I also set my AirNav moving maps to show north up.

kaz

Sydney Institute of Technology in Ultimo use to have a fantastic Cert in Aviation which ran at night. I attended that and it was great! I think I got 94% for PPL if I recall. I learn best in the class room situation so it depends on the individual. I did the CPL and Instrument theory with them and flew through and I am no scholar! Dam that was a great course....unfortunately they canned it that year due to lack of students 035_doh.gif.37538967d128bb0e6085e5fccd66c98b.gif

I was trying to remember the Air Force chap...Bill someone....he had the patience of a saint! He would keep explaining things different ways till it sank in...amazing guy.011_clap.gif.c796ec930025ef6b94efb6b089d30b16.gif